Chinese NT 2018

• Noticed that Zhang Changning was enlisted as Cohesion (Opposite) on the 2018 training list. With the arrival of Li Yingying for the main attack, I wonder if Lang decided to move Zhang to opposite because of her better block against the opposing side. In my opinion, Zhang does well in that position especially with a questionable Yang Fangxu, the regression of Gong Xiangyu, and an aging Zeng Chunlei. Seems like there is no new upcoming opposite talent coming soon just yet. Still waiting for Chen Peiyan to improve her skills.

Will this be the starting lineup we will be seeing in coming Women's World Championship?
    OH: Zhu Ting, Li Yingying
    OPP: Zhang Changning
    MB: Yuan Xinyue, Yan Ni
    S: Ding Xia
    L: Lin Li

• It really depends on how well Li Yingying plays against other countries, especially her reception. Zhang Changning is recovering from injury which has affected her reception this season. Lang Ping likes tall players so this starting lineup is very likely to happen if Li passes her test. Lang Ping takes skills over seniority so Zeng will have to start from the bench if there is a better option than her. Gong started her career as a setter so she could move back to that position if playing OP is not working. A 188cm setter with athleticism is preferable by Lang Ping.

• It really depends on how well Li Yingying plays against other countries, especially her reception. Zhang Changning is recovering from injury which has affected her reception this season. Lang Ping likes tall players so this starting lineup is very likely to happen if Li passes her test. Lang Ping takes skills over seniority so Zeng will have to start from the bench if there is a better option than her. Gong started her career as a setter so she could move back to that position if playing OP is not working. A 188cm setter with athleticism is preferable by Lang Ping.

I remember reading that about Gong before. She does have great height and athleticism if she were to go back to becoming a setter, especially since Diao Linyu hasn't played that well this season due to her injury. Yao Di has been playing well in the Chinese League, but still needs more experience playing on a high level against international teams. Although Lang Ping recently recruited Meng Dou (189cm) for setter training, she seems a bit slow in the games she checked in for Yao Di.

• I remember reading that about Gong before. She does have great height and athleticism if she were to go back to becoming a setter, especially since Diao Linyu hasn't played that well this season due to her injury. Yao Di has been playing well in the Chinese League, but still needs more experience playing on a high level against international teams. Although Lang Ping recently recruited Meng Dou (189cm) for setter training, she seems a bit slow in the games she checked in for Yao Di.

Didn't know Yao Di is only 2 years younger than Ding Xia so China will have to search for younger setters beyond 2020. I think all of Zhu's peers will play until 2024 so there's plenty of time to search for new hitters.

• The photo of Chinese women's NT before the All Star of Chinese League 17/18
    S: Ding Xia, Yao Di, Meng Dou
    OP: Gong Xiang-yu, Yang Fang-xu
    OH: Liu Xiao-tong, Liu Yan-han, Zhang Yi-chan, Duan Fang, Ren Kai-yi, Li Ying-ying
    MB: Yuan Xin-yue, Gao Yi, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Hu Ming-yuan, Yang Han-yu
    L: Lin Li, Wang Meng-jie

Li Ying-ying joins the training camp this week.

Images

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

Edited once, last by tomen ().

• According to the All-Star Game, most of Chinese players played as an official match.
    Therefore, I guess the 14-player roster of Week 1 of 2018 VNL:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di
    OP - Zeng Chun-lei, Gong Xiang-yu
    OH - Liu Xiao-tong, Liu Yan-han, Zhang Yi-chan, Li Ying-ying
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Gao Yi, Zheng Yi-xin
    L - Lin Li, Wang Meng-jie

I doubt the reception of the team ...

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• A lot of the new incoming players for China's national team seem to be bad at reception. This is something I'm sure Lang Ping is helping them learn as she likes well rounded players. I wonder who will be on the roster for Week 4 since it'll be their toughest week against team Brazil, Russia, and United States. To bad Yang Hanyu got injured, this would've been a good chance for her to get more experience. Hope she has a safe recovery.

• A lot of the new incoming players for China's national team seem to be bad at reception. This is something I'm sure Lang Ping is helping them learn as she likes well rounded players. I wonder who will be on the roster for Week 4 since it'll be their toughest week against team Brazil, Russia, and United States. To bad Yang Hanyu got injured, this would've been a good chance for her to get more experience. Hope she has a safe recovery.

Sorry, my guess has been wrong. Liu Yan-han has left the team according to the rumor.
    Before Week 1 of VNL 2018, the players in the training camp in Ningbo, Zhejiang may be:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di, Meng Dou
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Yang Fang-xu
    OH - Yuan Xin-yue, Gao Yi, Wang Yuan-yuan, Yang Han-yu
    MB - Liu Xiao-tong, Li Ying-ying, Duan Fang, Zhang Yi-chan, Ren Kai-yi

PS: Zeng Chun-lei will have a rest and go to Ningbo before VNL 2018. The team is still waiting for Zhu Ting, Zhang Chang-ning and Yan Ni.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Has Yang Fang-xu fully recovered from her leg injury? I bet Lang Ping will test some of the new outside hitters at the opposite position and see how they perform there, just in case Yang Fang-xu injures her leg again.

• Unfortunately, I think Yang Fangxu's injury is too severe to fully recover to her former state. I think she will have a part time career as Lang Ping thinks very highly of her to keep her on the team pretty much every year. It is too bad because we will never know how well she will develop as a healthy player. She was the other player that Guidetti lauded when he first saw Zhu played. Hopefully I am wrong though and she recovers 100% because China needs a solid OP when Zeng retires.

• I was thinking if Lang Ping wants to develop a taller setter, Zheng Yixin would be a good fit to try and convert. She is still at a good age born in 1995. At a height of 187cm, she doesn't have a chance to battle for a middle blocker position against Gao Yi(194cm), Wang Yuanyuan(195), and Yang Hanyu(197cm) who are also much younger. Ding Xia is still the main setter at 180cm, and the next close person would be Yao Di at 182cm. Although Meng Dou is 189cm, Zheng is faster and already has more experience playing the game, just at a different position. Gong Xiangyu is also a good choice to move back to setter if she doesn't improve as an opposite.

• i wonder how Ting and Yinying will be on the court at the same time with their current passing ??

Not a problem because someone else will cover. Question is can Li Yingying make the starting spot?

• I was thinking if Lang Ping wants to develop a taller setter, Zheng Yixin would be a good fit to try and convert. She is still at a good age born in 1995. At a height of 187cm, she doesn't have a chance to battle for a middle blocker position against Gao Yi(194cm), Wang Yuanyuan(195), and Yang Hanyu(197cm) who are also much younger. Ding Xia is still the main setter at 180cm, and the next close person would be Yao Di at 182cm. Although Meng Dou is 189cm, Zheng is faster and already has more experience playing the game, just at a different position. Gong Xiangyu is also a good choice to move back to setter if she doesn't improve as an opposite.

Does Zheng Yixin have prior setter experience? Only probable convert is Gong because she started as a setter. She did subbed in as a setter for blocking purposes last season. Zheng will probably play as a B team member from now on because her position has too many young talents.

• Not a problem because someone else will cover. Question is can Li Yingying make the starting spot?

Ting and Yingying on the court would mean OPP and libero should pass very well (passing with two players is very risky in today's volley) or one of Ting and Yingying should pass on an acceptable level.i guess Ting will play as passing OH YingYing non-passing OH

• Ting and Yingying on the court would mean OPP and libero should pass very well (passing with two players is very risky in today's volley) or one of Ting and Yingying should pass on an acceptable level.i guess Ting will play as passing OH YingYing non-passing OH

Everyone receives in Lang Ping's system. If Li Yingying can't receive, she would only have a limited role on the team. Tianjin didn't let her receive because she was the main focal point on offense but there's plenty of offense on the NT. The limited time that Li Yingying did receive was pretty good actually. We will have to wait to see what she can do against the world.

• 1 Zeng Chun-lei has returned and joined the team today!
    2 Diao Lin-yu will join the team and There is the rumor that Ding Xia and Yao Di need to check their knees.
    Therefore, Diao Lin-yu won't take part in 2018 Viet Nam VTV Cup.

PS:
    The wide rosters of Jiangsu and Fujian as two Chinese clubs who take part in 2018 Viet Nam VTV Cup [perhaps starts on May 12]:
    Jiangsu:
    S - Diao Lin-yu, Rong Wan-qian-bai, Sun Yan
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Tang Ning-ya, Chen Yi-xuan
    OH - Wu Han, Xu Ruo-ya, Xu Lu-yao, Yang Wen-jin
    MB - Zhou Xin-yi, Wang Chen-yue, Wei Yu-xin
    L - Zang Qian-qian, Wang Yu-qi, Ni Fei-fan
    Fujian:
    S - Liang Gui-qian, Liu Yang
    OP - Luo Hui, Huang Feng
    OH - Lin Lin, Zhang Yu-ting, Lin Yue-xin, Ye Jia-jing, Fang Jing-yi
    MB - Zhang Jing, Shen Yang, Wei Yu-lin
    L - Wang Jin-qin

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• S - Ding Xia, Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Zeng Chun-lei, Gong Xiang-yu, Yang Fang-xu
    OH - Liu Xiao-tong, Li Ying-ying, Zhang Yi-chan, Duan Fang, Ren Kai-yi
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Gao Yi, Wang Yuan-yuan, Yang Han-yu

Diao Lin-yu replaces Meng Dou.
    Zeng Chun-lei returns.
    Zhu Ting (OH), Zhang Chang-ning (OH/OP) and Yan Ni (MB) will join it "later".

Images

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• My guess for the 14 player roster for VNL week 1:

OH: Zhu Ting, Liu Xiaotong, Li Yingying, Duan Fang
    OPP: Zeng Chunlei, Gong Xiangyu
    MB: Yuan Xinyue, Wang Yuanyuan, Gao Yi, Yang Hanyu
    S: Ding Xia, Yao Di
    L: Lin Li, Wang Mengjie

- I think Zhu will still be on the roster for the first week, but will most likely be on the bench similar to first week of 2017 Grand Prix. As captain, she will help guide and cheer her team from the sidelines and will sub in when only necessary.
    - I think Yao Di will be preferred over Diao Linyu due to her great performance this season and also because of her connection with Li Yingying and Wang Yuanyuan.
    - I don't think Yang Fangxu is ready to play yet. Zeng is already a seasoned player and doesn't really need this competition as practice, but I think Lang will put her in to stabilize the pass and also provide consistent offense.
    - Zhang Changning and Yan Ni will most likely be resting and recovering, this will allow other potential players to gain experience and prove themselves.

• According to the wide roster of VNL 2018:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu, Sun Hai-ping, Meng Dou
    OP - Zeng Chun-lei, Gong Xiang-yu, Yang Fangxu, Li Ying-ying*
    OH - Zhu Ting, Zhang Chang-ning, Liu Xiao-tong, Liu Yan-han, Duan Fang, Zhang Yi-chan, Ren Kai-yi
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Yan Ni, Zheng Yixin, Gao Yi, Wang Yuan-yuan, Yang Han-yu, Hu Ming-yuan
    L - Lin Li, Wang Meng-jie, Meng Zi-xuan

*: Li Ying-ying is still an OH unless other OPs play worse.
    Meng Zi-xuan "wins" Wang Wei-yi and Gong Mei-zi.
    The three MBs in 2013 U18 WCH, Yuan, Hu and Wang Y.Y. are all in the roster.

I guess the roster of Week 1:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu
    OH - Liu Xiao-tong, Li Ying-ying (also OP), Duan Fang, Zhang Yi-chan, Ren Kai-yi (also OP)
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Gao Yi, Wang Yuan-yuan, Yang Han-yu

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu