Japanese NT 2018

• And we should reconsider setters (Tashiro is nothing special for me, I hope M,Sato will be tried.) and 2nd libero (Toe & Yamagishi are worst libero our NT ever had :wall: Kobata or Nakagawa should be replace).

I thought Tashiro played okay. Surprise to me she is ranked #6 Setter on the FIVB VNL stat sheet. I prefer her over Sato because she at least knows what floor defense is. So sad Nakada isn't ready to let Miyashita play

I dunno what's in Nakada's head on those libero choices.

Arisa Sato sits at home twiddling her thumbs ;(

• I share similar feeling about Miya Sato, defly nothing better than Tashiro, never got the hype around her. Don't know why Yamaguchi of NEC who is superb at reading the match never been called onto national team, not even once. While JT's Tanaka - another setter who has great connection with MB and OPP, always fails to made to the final list.
    Kurogo absolutely grew on me, although it's way too painful to watch her got nothing but being awfully blocked at the last match vs giant Russia.
    Aika Akutagawa - a pleasant debut on senior team, deserves to have more time on court.
    Anyway, i didnot get the same energy from this team as i used to. They seemed to be tired and a bit off, comparing to the full of energy team we saw last year at WGP & Asia championship.

• sorry but Miya Sato and Miyashira are the same setter or not ?

Not the same setter, miya sato plays for hitachi rivale team, while haruka miyashita plays for okayama seagulls. Both are on wide roster for Japan NT 2018.

• Not the same setter, miya sato plays for hitachi rivale team, while haruka miyashita plays for okayama seagulls. Both are on wide roster for Japan NT 2018.

And Haruka Miyashita is one of the best floor defenders in the world!

• I was fascinated by Yuki in the game against Poland. Yuki's reception had not been good in the tournament so Poland targeted her like a beast. They sent their first several serves at her and she boinked every one of them. Nakada switched the rotation and Kurogo took over for her. Yuki hid in the back.

Then a little later there was one of those loose balls flying around and all Yuki had to do was push it over the net. She blew that, hitting it into the net instead.

Here is a photo of Yuki after that play. It's Yuki super pissed off and frustrated -- LOL -- she's practically emotionless:

But you know what? Yuki worked her way back into reception rotation, aced a serve, and landed a few attacks. In other words, she was a pro. Nakada didn't take her out of the game the way Korea took KYK out. And after all that Yuki shows us how to do a full on swan dive belly flop dive for a ball:

Lovely!

• And Haruka Miyashita is one of the best floor defenders in the world!

please bring this Japan team back. I miss their high flying full on defense and fast and powerful attacking. long gone were the days of Kimura, Ebata, Sakoda - the best triangle Japan I have ever watched. now every single position is almost a down grade. the liberos are so unimpressive. the setter is nothing special. i need Miyashita back as soon as possible.

• floor defense is Japan's identity. with this new coach, it seems like everything goes missing. they barely defense, and their attacjing is so and so. i have not been convinced that this new coach is going to take Japan to the next level, or even close to the 2012-2015 Japan.

• floor defense is Japan's identity. with this new coach, it seems like everything goes missing. they barely defense, and their attacjing is so and so. i have not been convinced that this new coach is going to take Japan to the next level, or even close to the 2012-2015 Japan.

I gave Coach Nakada the benefit of the doubt for the first year. I'm losing faith.

Others may not share my love for Arisa Sato but the fact that she wasn't picked for the NT is what made me lose a lot of hope. I like libero Kotoe Inoue, a lot, but the other two Nakada brought along were sort of silly.

Full disclosure, though, we really don't know if maybe Arisa didn't want to join the NT. I can't imagine why not, but who knows?

;( Aww, I don't want to go down this rabbit hole right now :D

I'll probably write a long-winded mid-season report some time, but I'm a little sad right now because you started that thread about favorite games and it took me back to the good ol' days. I'll see you over there in that thread :thumbsup:

• No more Saorin, Ebata, etc. It's pretty much a new team so someone will need to lead.

Does Nakada have esp and telepathy? Never seen her talked during timeouts.

• I always thought Sato is going to be the next Sano. if you look at the way she moves in court anticipating attacks, she is so quick on her feet - reminding me of the legendary Sano. and back then when they have Miyashita and Sato on the back court, the ball barely touches the floor; just like when Takeshita and Sano were guarding the back court back then.

• Does Nakada have esp and telepathy? Never seen her talked during timeouts.

She talked fairly often in this VNL. The dude was much restrained from last year. I enjoyed that. Mostly he would one to one with the setter.

• I always thought Sato is going to be the next Sano. if you look at the way she moves in court anticipating attacks

That's what I mean when I say "she skates to where the puck is going to be". :thumbsup:

Kotoe is fast too, but Arisa has better instinct, or something.

• I like the purple ones if they don't just look black on camera, and I like that they seem lighter, thinner, and fluffier. Their old uniforms look like anime armor, which I imagine is because 99% of all Japanese players have the exact same body type.

Onward and upward, girls! :super:

• I agree with you stylistically. And yeah, a "rubbery" look. The operative word for me regarding the older uniforms was "armor" more than anime. Like if there was nobody in the thing it would still stand up.

I assumed it was a cultural modesty thing. You couldn't really see the contours of the body in the old ones and they never flew up exposing midriff when they jump for an attack. I've never seen a Japan player's bellybutton like you do with the Chinese and Italians. Brazil is a whole other discussion :whistle:

• I thought the shirt has a zipper from the video. At least it aint like the long sleeve tent shirts back in the days.