Serbian NT 2018

• Usually JoanaBG starts these threads but she's not been around lately, hopefully she'll be back soon :D

Anyway, Terzic has named a roster for the Nations League.

S: ANA ANTONIJEVIĆ, BOJANA ŽIVKOVIĆ, SLAÐANA MIRKOVIĆ & ALEKSANDRA ĆIROVIĆ

OPP:ANA BJELICA, TIJANA BOŠKOVIĆ, SANJA MALAGURSKI & JOVANA JOVIČIĆ

L: SILVIJA POPOVIĆ, JELENA BLAGOJEVIĆ & TEODORA PUŠIĆ

MB: MILENA RAŠIĆ, STEFANA VELJKOVIĆ, JOVANA STEVANOVIĆ, MINA POPOVIĆ & MAJA ALEKSIĆ

OH: BRANKICA MIHAJLOVIĆ, TIJANA MALEŠEVIĆ, BJANKA BUŠA, BOJANA MILENKOVIĆ, SARA LOZO & KATARINA LAZOVIĆ

• I think that Busa will lost her spot this year. She is playing terrible in Chemik (0% in attack in last semifinal match vs Budowlani) and Blagojevic should play as defensive player instead of Malesevic

• I'm here, I've just been busy lately and haven't got to see that much volleyball. :D

This roster is just what I expected, almost 100%. Perhaps it's a bit surprising to see Jovana Jovičić there, but she's by far the best OPP of the domestic league and it's not like we're spoiled for choice on that position at the moment, so why not give her a chance. It is a bit discomforting though to think of what would happen if Tijana Bošković got injured, God forbid. Malagurski had a horrendous season in Italy and is a shadow of a player she was even two years ago (and she wasn't even THAT good then, so it really tells you something about how much she's regressed since), Bjelica is, well... Bjelica. And then no one else. I was actually kinda hoping Brakočević would change her mind and come back.

The competition on MB positions is fierce, which is good because they'll all have to step up their game and some of them really need to (*cough* Rašić *cough*). Maja Aleksić had a fantastic season and should be given a chance in some matches too.

With both Popović and Pušić there, I see no need to have Blagojević play as a libero. She would be much more helpful as an OH and we actually need her there. As expected, Milenković, Lozo and Lazović got the call. I don't expect them to have that big of a role just yet, but based on what they've shown this season, Lazović is probably the one to watch out for the most.

• No Maja Savic? She deserves more than Aleksic.

I hope these won`t be all the girls that will be at the gym. It is important to have extra players to help with training and they can improve there as well, even tough they know they won`t make the roster this year, all these players should be there - Savic, Danica, Mrdark, Cirktiz ( she was bad in Germany, but she`s still young and practicing in the summer will help for development) Jelena Trinic, Oulic, Lazarevic, Ninkovic and so many others.

USA had over 200 college girls for the Tryout this season...of course none of them won`t make the roster to play in any major tournament. But I think around 50-60 girls were chosen and they will be going to Europe and Asia for friendly tournaments in the summer. Not to mention all girls from B,C,D teams will be at the gym as well and they certainly already knows they won`t be making any roster, but it is better to spend the summer playing volleyball than on the beach.

• Stevanovic ended the regular season as the highest score among all Middle Blockers in Italy. And this is because Pomi was playing terribly with awful reception, but it did not stop Lo Bianco for setting Stevanovic and Guiggi... which means there`s no excuse for not using the middles and over using Boskovic-Mihajlovic.

Rasic`s level dropped a little bit, but she does not even get a lot of sets anymore because they have Zhu....just like Sloetjes... everyone just become role players. Rasic is still really really good.

Mina Popovic was really good also.

They should use NVL to work with the middle as much as they can.

Malesevic will be a big question mark... and yeah they should use Blagojevic as OH.

• I guess Terzic picked Aleksic ahead of Savic because she is younger and he thinks she has more potential.

The way I see it, Serbia has a great starting 6, but they only really have any depth at MB. Bjelica isn’t reliable and Malagurski is not the player she used to be. At OH, Mihajlovic is great but Malesevic underperformed at Seramiksan and Terzic’s favourite Busa still can’t kill a ball. With no injuries Serbia should win medals this year but if one of their big hitters underperforms the whole team will be in trouble.

• Yeah, Serbia has a strong A team...but from there they don`t have much. But the good news is that 3 of their biggest promises right now are all OH ( Milenkovic,Lazic and Lozo)..they have already enough middles.

But they are not the only ones lacking good players in every position. For example Brazil has Tandara but they don`t have any reliable backups ( Monique,TIffany?Lorene?Edinara). China and USA does not even have any mediocre OPP to start with, Russia has Goncharova and that`s it, NED has Sloetjes and maybe Plak and so on... For example Malagurski and Bjelica are still better than any of other countries backups.

I know Busa had that terrible Game 2 with 0 points. But in Game 1 she was Chemik`s 2nd best score with 11 points. And today in Game 3 she scored 13 points with 38% in attack and 23 receptions with 57% positive...and she scored the Set and Match point today... She`s still young and improving.

There`s a lot of so called "World Class" players out there doing even worse than her... I won`t mention names. But just look at the stats from Turkey and Italy playoffs and you will know what I`m talking about....... A lot of players live based on their reputation, Busa just got a bad reputation.

Of course I would feel super scared if they have to play the WCH with her in the starting line up....( that won`t happen)...but she`s only 23... If she keeps working hard and do not give up, she will a much better player in 2 years ( or sooner).

• The way I see it, Serbia has a great starting 6, but they only really have any depth at MB. Bjelica isn’t reliable and Malagurski is not the player she used to be. At OH, Mihajlovic is great but Malesevic underperformed at Seramiksan and Terzic’s favourite Busa still can’t kill a ball. With no injuries Serbia should win medals this year but if one of their big hitters underperforms the whole team will be in trouble.

Hit the proverbial nail right on the head.

On one hand, I'm slightly apprehensive due to Rasic's season, but as someone already said, everyone on that team bar Ting has become a role player and a glorified observer. I have hope she'll be back to her dominant self in the NT. After all, due to Barbolini's stupidity, Boskovic became something of a role player for most of 2016-2017 club season, and yet we all saw her form since then (both on the national and club level).

What is more worrisome is that 2015 was the last year a player progressed to the world-class level (Jovana Stevanovic). Since then, no youngter looks even close to achieving that leap.

• What is more worrisome is that 2015 was the last year a player progressed to the world-class level (Jovana Stevanovic). Since then, no youngter looks even close to achieving that leap.

Yeah, I'm concerned about this too. Also, it's noticeable that our junior/youth NT results have a got quite a bit worse over the last few years. It's something of a paradox, considering that basically every second girl is playing volleyball these days, and we had a lot more talent coming up 10 years ago when the recruitment pool was much smaller. There seems to be a coaching problem, most of them simply don't appear to be skilled enough and no one has been able to take up the role Terzić and Zakoč had while they still worked in the domestic league.
    There's no need to panic just yet as the current team is still quite young and most of them can easily last until 2024, but it's something that needs to be addressed ASAP.

At least the OH position is looking somewhat healthier than it did the last few years.

• Terzić about the upcoming competitions:

"Whoever came up with the calendar for NT tournaments this year deserves comments that are not appropriate for newspapers" :rolll:
    Also, "I don't think Rašić and Malešević (who will be at the CL F4) will be able to have lunch with the rest of the team before going to the Brazil for the first VLN weekend, let alone train with them". 8o

The plan is to reach F6, but it's not going to be an absolute top priority, and if a player shows any signs of fatigue or injury at any point, she won't enter the court.

• Terzić about the upcoming competitions:

"Whoever came up with the calendar for NT tournaments this year deserves comments that are not appropriate for newspapers" :rolll:
    Also, "I don't think Rašić and Malešević (who will be at the CL F4) will be able to have lunch with the rest of the team before going to the Brazil for the first VLN weekend, let alone train with them". 8o

The plan is to reach F6, but it's not going to be an absolute top priority, and if a player shows any signs of fatigue or injury at any point, she won't enter the court.

He's right, there's really no need for such a schedule.

Terzic can always make me laugh with his comments, he seems to have a dry sense of humour.

• Serbia will play two friendly matches against Bulgaria in Belgrade, tomorrow and on Wednesday. I'm not sure who's going to play as many players have joined the team preparations very recently or haven't even arrived yet.

• Serbia will play two friendly matches against Bulgaria in Belgrade, tomorrow and on Wednesday. I'm not sure who's going to play as many players have joined the team preparations very recently or haven't even arrived yet.

Terzic likes to play friendlies with Bulgaria...if memory serves, they played the last 2 friendly matches prior of last years's European Championship with them, too.

• We've played friendlies against Bulgaria every year for ages now. It's getting a bit boring IMO, but I guess it's a practical matter more than anything as they're the only ones among our geographical neighbours that have a competitive NT.

Serbia won the first match 3-1 (25-17, 25-14, 25-23, 25-27).

Stats

This looks to be the B team of Bulgaria and Terzić is not too happy about that because he wanted a stronger opponent. Still, he is generally satisfied with how his team played.

It looks like Milena Rašić won't be going to Brazil for the first VLN week.

• Stats

This looks to be the B team of Bulgaria and Terzić is not too happy about that because he wanted a stronger opponent. Still, he is generally satisfied with how his team played.

Hey, do you have any other link to the stats because it's not working for me :(

• OMG at Ruseva already as a starter :white:

• It works on Firefox (didn't work on Chrome) but I think the stats are not correct. Look at Bulgarian team. It looks like they started with 5 players :D