national team of Italy

• sorry if i missed this, but why is Piccinini, Togut and the other "OLD" guards are not playing for Italy anymore, is this pernament or was only for GP ?? which team will play in GP qualies and ECH next weeks ??

• as far as i know, Piccinini wants to rest and not to play the ECH

thats what samba player wrote in one of the other topics

Bad bad news, Picci won't play at ECH, because she wants to rest a little bit as Togut and Rinieri. Centoni is recovering from medical treatment of an injury.

• After what happened against Poland, I hope Picci and Togut change their minds! :(

As for the GP qualifiers it seems the team won't have Lo Bianco nor Aguero. A great chance to not qualify for next WGP! :roll: I'm too negative probably. On the other hand we must test the younger players and see if they are competitive enough and the GP qualifiers are a good opportunity! I'm really curious what is going to happen against Azerbaijan, Serbia and Turkey without Lo Bianco, Aguero, Togut, Piccinini, Rinieri and Centoni.

• Quote from "samba player"

After what happened against Poland, I hope Picci and Togut change their minds! :(

As for the GP qualifiers it seems the team won't have Lo Bianco nor Aguero. A great chance to not qualify for next WGP! :roll: I'm too negative probably. On the other hand we must test the younger players and see if they are competitive enough and the GP qualifiers are a good opportunity! I'm really curious what is going to happen against Azerbaijan, Serbia and Turkey without Lo Bianco, Aguero, Togut, Piccinini, Rinieri and Centoni.

Yes, you're too negative hehehehe :wink2:
    Let it happen, Italy has proved that they can play without them too! Without 4 players, they achieved the 3rd place in GP. And personally I think it's better that Italy put young players to play and lose, then when they go to an OG and important competitions, they'll have a team of 12 players that have experience and will have the possibility to replace with the same quality an important player if it is needed.

• Thanks for the good words Lothie, I feel better now! :D

I must have more faith in my NT. It's just that I was too accostumed to Togut, Picci, Cardullo... Young players can learn a lot from lost matches. The important thing is to play!!! They will be more prepared in the future. That's for sure!

• as a fan of ITalian volleyball....I was really holping to see Lo Bianco, Aguero and Piccinini playing together....and the hole team of Italy....

by the way....someone knows why Holland is not in none of the groups to Grand Prix classification???????After all they are the champions...

• Quote from "zik013"

is there a definite Italy squad that will go to Turkey for GP qualies ??

It should be that
    http://inside-volley.com/viewt…=0&postorder=asc&start=30

• Simona Gioli in Sports Week

For the latins (and therefore for he Italians), number 17 is amongst the sources of bad luck as, according to the Bible, on this precise day the universal deluge started. But there is some Italian woman that, even though she is rather (not to say very) superstitious, evade this popular belief and to play she asks, almost pretends, this number. “I don’t mind this number, it’s my date of birth – laughs Simona Gioli, 30, she’s the middleblocker of the Italian national team, European Champions, and of Despar Perugia, Italian champion-. I wear it in my club, but in the national team I’ve always had the number 1, because – they told us – the shirts were already stamped. This summer, I reminded Stefano (Sciascia, the team manager, ndr) on time “With the number 17, we’ll win…. They gave it to me and indeed things went well in Luxemburg.”

So you are superstitious ?
    “Yes, a lot, good job I found somebody like me in the national team (Antonella Del Core)”.

One of the warding-off rituals of a volleyball player is definitely linked to the hairstyle: How long does it take you to do your hairdo before a game, your hair are full of hair slides and others?
    “It takes me a bit, but it’s part of the game preparation, with its ‘ritual’, which starts the previous day…”.

One important norm of the prophetic cabala is that it should never be revealed if one wants to obtain the desired result. But the secret of Simona Gioli, the only mum of the team, who won league, cup, confederal cup (with her club), and European Championships with Italy in the space of 1 year, she can reveal it to us,can’t she?
    “After Gabriele’s birth (September 2006, ndr), a month and a half had hardly gone by that I was already back on the court. I had promised myself to get back in smoothly but instead I was in big time straight from the start. One event after another, the Italian Cup, the league, then the summer, the national team and the European Championships. Even after the maternity, I remained an aggressive type of player, but I have an inner peace of mind added to it when I go back home to my partner (Vincenzo) and son. You learn to take one day at a time.”
    It’s an experience that changes you ‘inside’.
    “There are different ages in life. You’re a teenager, when conflicts can be tough, there is intolerance. Then you change: one of my first transformation came when I met Vicenzo. When you start sharing your life with someone, you have to model your personality in order to coexist.”

So beyond this aggressive appearance, the tattoos, piercings, the will to take part in Miss Italy and the tales of your ‘cubist’ past, you want to make us believe that, volleyball aside, you have become an easy going person?
    “You need time and to keep your eyes open if you want to go out and have fun!. Me, I survive and stay awake thanks to littres of coffee. At the beginning with Gabriele, it was very tough, he was eating every two hours. I had no choice but feed him, but things have not changed that much now. I have to run all the time, so my free time has been totally cancelled. And if I have a little bit of time, after training sessions or games, I dedicate it to my family. It’s obviously a pleasure, to be at home as well. I like to cook, to tidy up. In short, I am a little of an atypic housewife”.

So what is volleyball for you: a job or a passion?
    “Well, as time went by, it became a job, but it remains my passion. I love to play for the National team, where money is little if you don’t win. With Italy, you stay only because you have the pleasure to do so. In the end, it might depend on your personality: Personaly I always try to do my best in whatever things I happen to do”.

It’s not a passion, but a curse the Olympic Games for Simona. How do you remember it?

“Impossible to forget it: I’ve been left at home not one but two times in a row only a week before departure or so. It was very tough on me, it was hard to take in. Looking back now, it hurts a bit less. A prediction that I’ve made once for a laugh, a long time ago, might come true. ‘I’ll go to the Olympic Games as a mum’. Unbelievable, that could really happen ! But this time is my last chance, because I’m thirty and I won’t get another shot, so I’ll have to give my all to make it. By the way, given that we still have to qualify, I’d better start winning right now with the World Cup in Japan, in November. Our team is strong and I’m convinced we have what it takes to make it”.

• hi what do you think about Italian NT in 2009
    here you are the names
    Palleggiatricie: Lo Bianco, Pincerato, Rondon, Di Crescenzo.
    Schiacciatrici: Piccinini, Del Core, Secolo, Rinieri (foto), Angeloni, Barcellini, Bosetti, Viganò.
    Opposti: Aguero, Ortolani, Ravetta, Quaranta.
    Centrali: Barazza, Gioli, Guiggi, Arrighetti, Stufi, Crisanti, Garzaro.
    Liberi: Cardullo, Croce, Merlo.

i'm wondering why Francesca Ferretti isn't here, if di crescenzo is there... :what: that's for me big surprise. And look Rinieri is back, unfortunately i'm afraid they can be dangerous in Poland (i hope not as polish but sorry I think that's obvious)

i'm especially interest of opinion of italian people, but other also of course!

• one question to our Italian friends here. what's the reason of Feretti absance?? i've watcvhed a lot of Pesaro match and i really like her sets.

well it was a lot of speculation about key players of Italy taking break but as far as i can see they are all in the rooster :lol:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

Edited once, last by mateo ().

• Nice to see that all experienced players want to play in national team in a year after the Olympic Games. The Italian Team seems to be stronger than last year. Simona Rinieri means a lot for this team. But I don't understand why Anzanello isn't there... :white: And what about Centoni :?:

• one question to our Italian friends here. what's the reason of Feretti absance?? i've watcvhed a lot of Pesaro match and i really like her sets.

Good question. It's big surprise. Moreover it's very strange and I don't understand this Barbolini decision.

• Could u please tell me

Is that official ??

Thanxx

• I think probably Barbolini wants to test Pincerato and Di Crecenzo so he left Ferreti out. I think the situation might be similar to the Brazilian NT.

• great team... i think italy is favourite to win ECH this year..although i will support russia :box:

• There is a lot to say and I will gradually.

As for now I can say that I'm OK with Barbolini's choices. The only thing I cannot understant is why Ferretti wasn't called?
    However on volleyrosa a lot of Italian fans are complaining why Barbolini didn't call Centoni, Togut, Anzanello, Ferretti, De Gennaro (libero), Sirressi (libero), Bechis (second setter of Novara), Bacchi and Negrini saying that these players could be in the roster instead of Ravetta, Garzaro, Stufi, Di Crescenzo, Merlo, Croce, Rondon, Secolo and Viganò.

I think that Anzanello doesn't want to play anymore and it is better to try younger players. Maybe he should have chosen Campanari. Togut and Centoni are strong, but there are already Aguero and Ortolani, so it is better to try the young Ravetta and the good Quaranta. Bacchi wants to play beach volley.

The only question mark is Ferretti, why not her?