Rivalries between teams

• There's another rivalry involving Brazil's Team.

Brazil vs. China

This one was more like a backstage rivalry and started in 2002, when the Chinese Team lost on purpose both for Greece and Korea to avoid meeting Russia in the semifinals.

Despite the middle-finger episode that was mentioned here, which didn't happen as far as I'm concerned. Many others happen, like the meeting of all the teams in the cafeteria of the hotel they were before the quaterfinals, when the Chinese Team appeared and the Brazilian players started to applaud them with irony and then all the other players from other NT's started to applaud them too.

After that, in the press-conference after the quarterfinals match which Brazil was defeated in the tie-breaker, both the coach and the captain of Brazil's team deliberately said they almost screwed China's plan and that they were sure China would lose the semifinal match.

• Quote from "scarpetta"

yes Joana very well put. :wink2: Djerisilo is a fan favourite here.

A rivalry doesn't mean that the fans have to hate the players! A rivalry is when two teams fight like crazy, even if it is a friendly or less important match!

• I agree that rivalry between teams does not have to do with fans and stuff....
    but I also agree with Joana (great name by the way...ehehehe)....because...I believe that when the rivalry gets bigger....sometimes the fans get afected by it....so when you have like an giant rivalry...sometimes the fans stop liking other country players....witch I believe is patetic...but sometimes happens.....

But is for sure more commom to have bigger rivalries between two teams that always face each other in big finals!!!!

• Quote from "scarpetta"

Not between teams but there is a strange rivalry between Neslihan And Grun. Nesli's fans hate her .In one of her interviews Nesli said Grun must hate her because she took the best scorer award in the world championship.

i dont think Grün is such a person.
    As far as i got to know her she is a very nice and easy to get along person.
    From what i heard about Neslihan (from a turkish person who met her at the airport) she seems to be cocky....
    so i dont know... maybe both dont get along because they have different attitudes :wink2:

• Quote from "Nastja"

From what i heard about Neslihan (from a turkish person who met her at the airport) she seems to be cocky....
    so i dont know... maybe both dont get along because they have different attitudes :wink2:

Did Nesli really said that?? :shock:
    If she really said, then I'm disappointed :roll:

• Quote from "Nastja"

To be honest I'm not sure grun even know what nesli said.Grun is a very well known player in Turkey (she has a quite male fanbase here :wink2: )She always plays awesome against Turkey maybe that is the reason why Nesli's fans hate her.

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Did Nesli really said that?? :shock:
    If she really said, then I'm disappointed :roll:

i also cant believe that Nesli will say such words in an interview :shock:

in my mind demir is a nice player that always smile and being nice to everyone..

btw, this is an interesting topic.... :D

• Quote from "yingcheng"

i also cant believe that Nesli will say such words in an interview :shock:

in my mind demir is a nice player that always smile and being nice to everyone..

btw, this is an interesting topic.... :D
    the other example i can think are CHINA x JAPAN and CHINA x RUSSIA

• Quote from "Nastja"

I remember the rivalry between Japan vs Russia...
    I used to watch the cartoon "Mila Superstar" and Japan was always fighting against Russia for the Gold medal... very entertaining :D

that was because at that time japan is the powerhouse in asia and russia is the powerhouse in europe
    both teams dominated the 60's and 70's
    so thats why...and the cartoon was from that time

• Quote from "Brian"

that was because at that time japan is the powerhouse in asia and russia is the powerhouse in europe
    both teams dominated the 60's and 70's
    so thats why...and the cartoon was from that time

yeah i know, but was very entertaining anyway :lol: damn i think ill download it again :lol2:

• Quote from "Joana"

2) This might be even more important: at the GP qualies last year Turkey and Serbia met in the 3rd match of the group stage. Turkey needed a win to go through, while Serbia was out and couldn't qualify no matter what. Despite that the Serbs fought like crazy (they were on a really bad losing streak, having lost all the friendly games that summer and the previous two matches at the GP qualies, and needed a win to reassure themselves), and eventually beat Turkey thus eliminating them from GP. Apparently the Turkish players were pretty bitter after that.

And who knows, there may be something personal between the players that we're not aware of.

the most important reason is that.you are right joana.
    until this they all serbia-turkey match is very important for two side.
    and grun&nesli has a rivalry between them.and some of volleyball fun hate grun because her showing middle finger to turkish fun in ankara at the gp elimination tournament.

• Quote from "serdar"

the most important reason is that.you are right joana.
    until this they all serbia-turkey match is very important for two side.
    and grun&nesli has a rivalry between them.and some of volleyball fun hate grun because her showing middle finger to turkish fun in ankara at the gp elimination tournament.

I didn't know that :shock: . Grun :roll:
    Turkish volleyball fans often compare Nesli and Grun and I think Nesli is aware of it. :wink2:

• Quote from "Matthias"

I can't imagine that Grün did that. Is there any proof for it?

i cant believe it as well... its grün damn! always such great and nice person....

Rivalry between Poland and Russia rises at the moment...
    While poland is getting extra cookies russia gets nothing... so the envy gets bigger...
    Thats one of the bad sides of being treated better than others, you become hated, though the team actually has nothing to do with it

• Quote from "Nastja"

Rivalry between Poland and Russia rises at the moment...
    While poland is getting extra cookies russia gets nothing... so the envy gets bigger...
    Thats one of the bad sides of being treated better than others, you become hated, though the team actually has nothing to do with it

Nope). Mass media have their opinion. They have right for it. No rivalry. The moods in team and among girls are not the same. Caprara, Kirillova and girls blame only themselves. Hated? I beg of you. Envy... the same.
    Why should girls hate or envy Poland, for that they had been given wild card?))) I assure you that no.
    They lost their chance by themselves, they admit it, Poland was never metioned. So, there won't be a rivalry between these teams.
    Das ist meine felsenfeste Überzeugung.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• im not talking about a rivalry between the players, i think there wont change anything.

But a rivalry between the fans. You can feel it here even. The poles are happy that they get the GP entry for the next 3 years (am i right?) and the WC and the russian fans are pissed off that they are treated like shit from fivb and that fivb prefers Poland though its a worse team.

i spasibo tochto pishesh po nemecki a to by ne ponela