Matches available on the internet (legal or not ?)

• CCTV says it is illegal to put the videos of Olympic games on the Internet during the games in China.

edit by Armel: this thread comes from an offtopic discussion on this thread from the Women international Competitions section .

• Its illegal to put any matches on the internet without copyrights... :roll: Thats why we will have to think about what to do with the multimedia section soon. But this is a different topic we want to concentrate on after the OGs.

• Its illegal to put any matches on the internet without copyrights... :roll: Thats why we will have to think about what to do with the multimedia section soon. But this is a different topic we want to concentrate on after the OGs.

Volleyball is not even close so popular as football or formula 1. Putting videos on the net, in this case, should be considered as a free advertisement for the product. Copyright holders have to thank you for that, because, in a long-term outlook, this will result in increasing popularity of that kind of sport and, therefore, increasing profits of the tv channels and competition organizers. Also, the quality of the videos in not good enough for those who really want to buy the rights, it's only suitable to be a demo-version. So, forget about copyrights, at least for the next few years! :D ;)

• Here would be a better place to talk about this topic than in an OG thread ! ;)

About what is legal or not on the internet, every country has different laws.
    What should prevail on this board, is the law in the country were it is hosted. (Poland ? Germany?)

In most countries, it is not illegal to link to videos, what is illegal is to host a copyrighted file.
    In our case, it will not be considered illegal to have a link on this board, but the people putting videos on megaupload or other hosting file websites could be in trouble if it is illegal in their country.

So I think we should warn these people that they should have a look at their countries laws to know if it is legal for them to host such files.

That being said, and as lightmaster said it, volleyball is far from being in the same situation than other sports. I really doubt that a broadcaster of the OG will ever claim a copyright after a volleyball games being leaked on the internet...

• So I think we should warn these people that they should have a look at their countries laws to know if it is legal for them to host such files.

I think the worst that can happen to them is to have their files deletes... No charges or something like that. At least I hope so!

But yes, I don't think anyone will make a big fuss over volleyball, to be honest.

• The server is in germany.

As far as i know it is forbidden to upload and download copyrighted materials. (at least thats what i hear here over and over again)

Of course boards like inside-volley provide a platform for volleyball and can make it more popular, but that doesnt make it more legal.

• The server is in USA. There is no any copyrighted materials on your german server.

• The server is in USA. There is no any copyrighted materials on your german server.

What server do you mean?
    Anyway, im not talking about the material on the server, but the laws the site is involved in.
    This site is under german law and that means thats its not legal to provide links to copyrighted videos etc.

• What server do you mean?
    Anyway, im not talking about the material on the server, but the laws the site is involved in.
    This site is under german law and that means thats its not legal to provide links to copyrighted videos etc.

I mean server, where the files are located.
    You can't check links, posted on your site, if they brake or don't the rights of the copyright holder. If they are, than the holder will ask you to remove particular links, which he doesn't want to be here. Also he'll ask the space provider to erase the files. And that's all.

• I think the worst that can happen to them is to have their files deletes... No charges or something like that. At least I hope so!

In France, laws are more and more strict. And you can be charged for providing access to copyrighted files.
    Now, whose owner of copyrights will claim it and charge you ?
    Music and film industry, because these kind of files are sold as CD and DVD.
    But as far as I know, no one's selling DVD of volley matches. Since these are recorded files, you can't even put them online live.(you have to wait a few hours minimum before having them uploaded) I think right now, broadcaster are more concerned with websites like justin.tv where you can follow live sports events !
    And who will care that a handfull of volley fans from other countries, who don't even understand the language of the broadcast for most of them (when it's not in english), are watching a record of the game 1 week (or 1month) after it's been actually broadcasted ?

• These copyright laws s*ck, sometimes. You have to see if it's illegal to DISTRIBUTE or to make your own earning with it. Here, there aren't copyright laws for videos, except if you are making money on it, then it's a crime. Otherwise, for domestic distribution, it's ok. And like Armel said, no one is making DVDs and selling it.

I agree with LightMaster when he says the videos are free advertsement for the sport and its broadcasters. And also, I don't know in Europe, but here they only make a big deal about these copyright things when it's something "big", not some volleyball fans who want to trade games.

• we are a small community.
    The people who have the copyrights, dont even know that we are using them. If they knew we wouldnt have the rights to trade the links here.

If they knew, they would say thank you. And maybe even contribute some money for the site development! :lol: ;)

• If they knew, they would say thank you. And maybe even contribute some money for the site development! :lol: ;)

Of course, i would become a millionaire.
    Seriously, in germany the laws are pretty strict.

e.g Bars and other public places have to pay money for being allowed to play music (or radio or tv broadcasting)... If they dont they have to pay damages....
    maybe you understand now, why i think the way i do.

• Seriously, in germany the laws are pretty strict.

e.g Bars and other public places have to pay money for being allowed to play music (or radio or tv broadcasting)... If they dont they have to pay damages....
    maybe you understand now, why i think the way i do.

I understood, why you think like that from the very beginning of that discussion. The main matter of dispute, as for me, it's the price of these videos. Of course, if it is a direct transmission in the bar, it costs a lot. But, when we have an internet file of the game, broadcasted much time ago, its price is zero. Nobody will make use of those strict laws toward the subject, that costs nothing. What we really can expect - is prohibition of the free live broadcasting on the net.

All you can do, is to directly ask copyright holders about what they think, if somebody puts on the forum a link to the volleyball game, uploaded to the server, not located in your country. By the way, who are those holders? :D Volleyball federations in Russia and Ukraine always complain, that they have to pay to the channels to make them show the games. So, the rights are definitely don't belong to the TV channels ;)