Empty seats at big Europe's and World's volleyball tournaments - why?

• European Championship 2005 in Italy/Serbia and Montenegro (Men)

European Championship 2005 in Croatia (Women)

World Championship 2006 in Japan (Men and Women)

European Championship 2007 in Russia (Men)

World Cup Japan 2007 (Men and Women)

European Championship 2007 in Belgium/Luxembourg (Women)

European Championship 2009 in Turkey (Men)

European Championship in Poland 2009* (Women)

Olympic Tournament 2008 in Beijing is the only one exception.

*Arenas were filled but many tickets were for free and almost no fans from other countries.

All these tournaments had a common thing - many empty seats during matches of non-host nations.

Why?
    Bad ticket sales policy?
    FIVB/CEV/national federation did not promote the sport in a right way?
    Maybe volleyball is just boring to watch :white: and need new rules?

• 2 from Brazil, 2 from Hong Kong and 1 from Netherlands/Taiwan were for sure heheh ;)

• Volleyball is a team sport No. 3 (after football and basketball) by number of players but if you mean the number of fans who attend important international events, so it is very low.

Cup 2010 of Germany in volleyball had attedance of 10.000 but how many of those will travel to Italy (Men's World Championship) or Japan (Women's World Championshi)?I fear that only a few people.

• This is because Bulgaria wasn ' t hosted some of these tournaments . We all like very much volleyball and we want to host some important tournament but FIVB and CEV have some special requirements about the places capacity of halles and unfortunately our halles doesnt cover these requirements . Now we build a new big hall in Sofia but this hall will be ready next year .

• This is because Bulgaria wasn ' t hosted some of these tournaments . We all like very much volleyball and we want to host some important tournament but FIVB and CEV have some special requirements about the places capacity of halles and unfortunately our halles doesnt cover these requirements . Now we build a new big hall in Sofia but this hall will be ready next year .

They have very big requirements about capacity but they don't know how to sell a lot of tickets.If I was the CEV chairman I would resign after Men's European Championship 2009 in Turkey where attendance of the final match between France and Poland was only 2700 (1/4 of the arena)!Match between Russia - Serbia in group stage was viewed by 175!

It was a DISASTER!

• 2 from Brazil, 2 from Hong Kong and 1 from Netherlands/Taiwan were for sure heheh ;)

:thumbsup: hehehehehe Thats right Ju!

Well, I dont know exacly why this things happen, but maybe cause volleyball is not that much popular sport, lets be honest...do not involve millions of money, and so on....witch I kind of like it, I must say. Here in Brasil is the same, games of Brasil always fulled, but if it is form another Nt not that much, I dont know...I just think that people dont actually know much volleyball players and stars...of course if oyu get a forum like this, you can see many of that people, but when you take that to a country reality, it is not the same. but what cause that is hard to know...maybe FIVB's fault some part, they dont do anything to make volleyball more popular. Maybe another reason is that volleyball is a hard sport to practice, just the fact that the ball can not fall in the ground...different from basket or futball....so harder it is the sport, less people practicing, I believe.....but all that must be a hard subject to think....should be made a big analisy...

• Well, I dont know exacly why this things happen, but maybe cause volleyball is not that much popular sport, lets be honest...do not involve millions of money, and so on....witch I kind of like it, I must say. Here in Brasil is the same, games of Brasil always fulled, but if it is form another Nt not that much, I dont know...I just think that people dont actually know much volleyball players and stars...of course if oyu get a forum like this, you can see many of that people, but when you take that to a country reality, it is not the same. but what cause that is hard to know...maybe FIVB's fault some part, they dont do anything to make volleyball more popular. Maybe another reason is that volleyball is a hard sport to practice, just the fact that the ball can not fall in the ground...different from basket or futball....so harder it is the sport, less people practicing, I believe.....but all that must be a hard subject to think....should be made a big analisy...

1.It involves millions of money.The best European men's teams (some women's too) teams have millions USD in their budget.For example Dinamo Moscow wanted to buy Matey Kaziyski for 7.000.000 USD.

2.According to most sources volleyball is the third (or even the second) team sport by number of players.

3.As I know it has very big TV audience:

In China (1/6 of World's population) it was the most watched sport of the Olympic Games 2008:

source:FIVB

But FIVB/CEV did something wrong because arenas at big events are half-empty or even worse.

• 1.It involves millions of money.The best European men's teams (some women's too) teams have millions USD in their budget.For example Dinamo Moscow wanted to buy Matey Kaziyski for 7.000.000 USD.

2.According to most sources volleyball is the third (or even the second) team sport by number of players.

3.As I know it has very big TV audience:

Maybe, but not as much as other sports such as futball or basketball, they involved much more money. do volley have audience as futball or basketball, I dont know for sure, but I believe not

Anyway, like I said that is a hard analisys to make...why do you think that happens?.

• Maybe, but not as much as other sports such as futball or basketball, they involved much more money. do volley have audience as futball or basketball, I dont know for sure, but I believe not

Anyway, like I said that is a hard analisys to make...why do you think that happens?.

1.For sure it does not involve so much money as football and basketball but they are sports with lower popularity and arenas/stadiums at big events are much more filled.For example cricket http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Cricket_World_Cup compare attedances with these figures:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/C…i_pallavolo_maschile_2009
    CEV Men's European Championship 2009 in Turkey

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…lts/Final_Round.asp?sm=26
    FIVB Men's World Championship 2006 in Japan

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…lts/Final_Round.asp?sm=26

FIVB Women's World Championshiop in Japan and the final match between Brazil and Russia had the attendace of 3820 people while the arena in Osaka has 8.200 seats!

Who watches cricket besides The Commonwealth Nations?I think that almost nobody in countries like Italy, Poland, China, Brazil, Argentina, Russia, USA, Mexico, Germany, France or Spain.But the total attendace of Cricket World Cup 2007 was extremly huge:

Attendance
    672,000 (13,176 per match)

2.I think they spend too much money on unnecessary things.Too much conferences, too little promotion of their evets.

• But where were played the cricket World Cup....if it was in a country where it is the most popular sport then you can imagine why....I can asure you if they organized World Cup of Cricket in Braisl no one would attend.....so that is subjective avaliation in my opinion....

When you get in volleyball matter....well the games are hosted in coutries where the sport is popular, but not the most popular, or it happesn all the time there, so, it is understanble why that happens...if you pay attention...The World Cup in Soulth Africa was not fulled also, most of the games and soccer is still the most popular sport in the World....so I guess is normal that that happens, not always it waill be full the gyms...

But indeed, I beloeve FIVB could have alternatives to make the sport more popular....but it is not something easy.

• Croatia and Belgium (along with Luxembourg) are small countries where other sports are more popular: e.g. handball and basketball in Croatia. Russia and Japan are countries where fans are generally interested only in their own team - not only in volleyball. I don't know what to say about 2005 tournament in Italy and Serbia-Montenegro ?(
    In Poland 2009 there were a lot of fans, we had good atmosphere and the halls were quite full. Of course, some tickets were free etc., but if we compare it with other tournaments it was rather a success, if we are talking about audience.
    Maybe volleyball is no.3 team sport, but I think it is generallising. In some countries it is sport no.2 (Poland, Bulgaria, Holland I think) in some other - it is 4th or even worse place (after football, handball, basketball, rugby, hockey...).
    Volleyball is a specific sport - you need to know the rules, the game might to be boring for you if you are not emotionally involved in it. Football is everywhere, basketball has been promoted by NBA, handball has much bigger traditions in Germany, France, Hungary , Romania etc. , ice hockey is an religion in "big 8" countries - like is voleyball in Poland, Brazil or Bulgaria. Volleyball needs to fight for place in fans hearts. I believe it is one of the reasons, why we don't have really full halls during big volleyball competitions...

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Some
    sources:

http://www.olympic.org/Documen…rts/EN/en_report_1086.pdf

Page no. 11 (China), 12 (Brazil) and 15 (Russia) - the biggest countries in
    Asia, South America and Europe and volleyball matches had the biggest TV
    audience in these countries during the Olympic Games in Athens.

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_953.pdf (Athens 2004)

Page no. 94

You can easily see that volleyball was among top events during Olympic Games
    2000/2004 and many of tickets ( (in Beijing it was even better) have been sold.Why it happens only during Olympic
    Games and does not durning European and World Championship ?I think because
    FIVB or CEV are not responsible for distribution of tickets for volleyball's olympic
    tournament but International Olympic Comitee is resposible for it.They do it better!

• People don't want to pay to watch volleyball. It's only cool if you play it yourself, kind of like I don't like watching cycling, or hockey... Football (only WC) and tennis see to be an exception to this rule for me.

• With the World Cup and World Championships in Japan in 2007 and 2006 respectively, you can look at it as the following.

Too many matches, too many cities, too many teams that people know nothing about and too many days. Japanese matches were highly attended, but there were empty seats for lesser matches. Don't forget three matches in one venue in one day. People work during the day and may only be able to attend at night.

2007 Womens World Cup, Nov 2-Nov 16, 8 venues (7 cities), 66 matches, 12 teams
    2007 Mens World Cup, Nov 18-Dec 2, 8 venues (7 cities), 66 matches, 12 teams

2006 Womens World Championship, Oct 31-Nov 16, 5 venues (5 cities), 104 matches, 24 teams
    2006 Mens World Championship, Nov 17-Dec 3, 7 venues (6 cities), 104 matches, 24 teams

Just my opinion.

People don't want to pay to watch volleyball.

So why people want to pay to watch volleyball at Olympic Games but not at World Champs or European Champs?Two words: tickets distribution!
    FIVB and CEV (and other continental federation) just can't do it professionally.

I hope that the FIVB knows what did wrong and now the attendance at World Champs 2010 will be at least not bad.

It's only cool if you play it yourself,

Most people can play in this way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOmFS45Scc

How it can be cool? :lol:

This is COOL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bymYaiXouPM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q36Qrthrd9E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbAmU0ZXVQ

@brahmi

I think that 4 cities and 4 halls are enough.

4 groups x6 teams
    and
    Play-offs for the best 16 teams.

Japanese matches were highly attended, but there were empty seats for lesser matches.

Women's final and men's semi-finals are lesser matches?