The most overrated/ overhyped player?

• 2 names come into my mind: Marshall and Giba.
    Marshall is a youtube sensation imo. Besides his huge jump he's got nothing, he's not using his brain, nor he can control his strenght and athleticism. As for Giba, well he is/was definitely a good player, but being the best in the World- I don't think so. He has never been outstanding during his career in Europe, even more he was just average in his last couple of years there.
    Guys, share your thoughts please :wavy:

• I don't know what you mean by overrated. What is the difference between weak and overrated?
    Weak: Aleksiev, Travica, Serbian setter, Pereyra, there are probably others I can't think now.

Overhyped (not weak players!):

1) Bartosz Kurek - I know, Polish fans will execute me or scalp me for that. I have no clear explanation why but I consider him as overrated. Maybe because he is not stable in his performance, don't know.
    2) Christian Savani - I haven't watched many of his matches but in every game I followed he was shaky in reception and far from remarkable in attack.
    3) Vissotto - His height is his only positive, IMO.
    4) Biryukov - He is not reliable. His attacks vs double and triple block are suicidal.

That on first reading. maybe later I can write some more when I think of others.

• Vissoto is overrated! I agree! ^^

• Malgorzata Kozuch - the best paid player of Polish league??! Really? Anyway, she's good on NT, but pretty far from that level in club volleyball, for some reason.

Debby Stam - there is only one explanation why such an ordinary player gets so much attention and we all know what it is.

Anja Spasojevic - people in Serbia act like she's some kind of miracle worker that would singlehandedly win gold medals for Serbia if she only played on NT. Well, that's not what she is.

• PERSONAL OPINION:

From Poland:

- Wlazly - He is very good, but too fragile for me and his technique is not breath taking

From Bulgaria:

- Aleksiev - obviously three coaches in a row think he is Terminator, because he has physique of Terminator, but his chip stopped working after WL 2010

- From Italy

- Savani - with this reception he makes Matey look like Konstantinov or Murilo, seriously, why is he OH?

- From Serbia

- Milos Nikic. - A lot of Serbians think he is great player because of his pipe, but I don't see other excellent things about him.

- From Brazil

- Andre Nascimento / Giba is not overrated for me, he is there in every situation on the pitch, very hard work on the back court and great pipe /
    I don't see him compared to Stanley, Milijkovic, Nikolov, Fei - the fantastic four of opposites, playing in NT's.

- From France

- Romain Vadeleux - He didn't make it into Maccerata, I haven't seen much from him in the NT after the match with Brazil in WCH 2006

- From Russia

- Alexander Volkov. Not the best blocker, can be read from the defense sometimes /like in Final of Serie A1/ but he is young and can disprove this.

- From Germany

- Georg Grozer. With great power comes great responsibility and he is irresponsible on the field. 8 blocks, really?! He is young and can drop from this too.

- From Argentina

- Frederico Pereyra - he is not on the level of Conte and Quiroga, makes too many errors

- From Australia

- Igor Yudin. Great reach but I haven't seen many spectacular games from him

Bulgaria, second time:

- Boyan Yordanov - he is one of my favorite players, great player, very strong, but a lot of fans think he is our best opposite because of the matches with France and Poland in WCH 2010 and he hasn't won anything with club yet. I believe he will drop soon from this list, I wish him that :obey:

• You gotta be kidding us :down: Man, give us some rest!

• Do you know what personal opinion means, YavorD? You gotta be kidding me, right? :down:
    Just to be sure I will put notice in the beginning of the previous post.

You are free do disagree or agree, but it is not appropriate to react to other people's opinion without the use of arguments, expecially from your position.

• Do you know what personal opinion means, YavorD? You gotta be kidding me, right? :down:
    Just to be sure I will put notice in the beginning of the previous post.

You are free do disagree or agree, but it is not appropriate to react to other people's opinion without the use of arguments, expecially from your position.

I've used enough arguments in this forum over the last 3 years, so you're not the guy I am gonna start a discussion with. Besides, how can I start a discussion with a guy who thinks Volkov, Nascimento, Wlazly, Grozer and Yordanov are overrated players? Thanks for putting the new title in huge block letters, now this act totally changed your post and it sounds better. Of course, everyone is free to share opinion, but when you make such a crazy statement (which is obviously not true for reasons you obviously don't know) don't declare it as if it is a general truth, because one day you may start believing so!

• I've used enough arguments in this forum over the last 3 years, so you're not the guy I am gonna start a discussion with. Besides, how can I start a discussion with a guy who thinks Volkov, Nascimento, Wlazly, Grozer and Yordanov are overrated players? Thanks for putting the new title in huge block letters, now this act totally changed your post and it sounds better. Of course, everyone is free to share opinion, but when you make such a crazy statement (which is obviously not true for reasons you obviously don't know) don't declare it as if it is a general truth, because one day you may start believing so!

Yet again you fail at supplying arguments and react emotionally. Do you even know how to apply arguments? Do you know what is an argument? Do you know why people are polite to each other and why rudeness is dangerous? Let me give you an example of my arguments, of course not professional, but important, non the less:

- Volkov in number of games I watched this year was silent in attack, not only at the final of Italian Serie A1 on 15.05.2011, but also in USA - Russia match

(WL2011 final round)

in which Russians couldn't use their MB's a lot, because USA defense was prepared for them. Volkov didn't play good vs Trento in WCH in Doha, he doesn't score many block points average at height 211 cm and so on. He is may be the best, but with my knowledge "the best" is overrated statement for him. This is an example of argument. Yours is example of lack of manners.

• I am having second thoughts about some of the players on the list, some of them are the least overrated, not the most, like:

- Boyan Yordanov,

- Wlazly

Both are only a bit overrated. I am having second thoughts for others, but stay firmly about Volkov in this ranking.

• and tell me how excatly is Boyan overrated? :wacko:

what has he done? has he ever been hyped, or promoted, or overpaid, or what?

Bobo is probably overloved from fans :love: but that's they only 'over' he is! People love him mostly cause of his character and fighting spirit but he is hardly overrated.

• I think you guys are getting annoyed fruitlessly.

Ratings are very subjective and any further categorization thereof is of little importance and hugely personal. Furthermore it by no means mean that the over rated players are bad players. Indeed I may consider the second best player of the world as over-rated if I (again) feel that many people consider him/her the best.

For example I think Skowronska is over-rated. She is not a top-notch opposite (I don't rate her to be among top 5-10 opposites), which I believe many people I know rate her to be.

I may be wrong on so many levels. She may be actually be one of the best opposites, or she may be rated lower than I perceive, or the people I know commenting on her may be biased and hence my perception of her rating may be justified yet ultimately wrong.

• Ratings are very subjective and any further categorization thereof is of little importance and hugely personal.

Exactly, no need to bash at each other guys :)

• for me overrated players are turkish MBs:

Ergül Avci: she is a living ghost. Didnt see any succesful performance of her

Gökcen: She cannot attack the ball hard. She just attacks smoothly, maybe shes afraid that she will hurt the ball

Duygu Ball: I dont see anythhing but her wings !

• I'm sad to say it, but for me Matey Kaziyski is getting weaker and weaker every year. His technique in attack is beyond any controversy or doubt but his reception, energy and power in attack, his motivation and hunger for wins are fading. I don't know if it's only because he is really exhausted or he has reached his peak and he is now falling. I don't know how true are the rumours about his departure from Trentino, but I would support his decision if it is to leave Trento for a club where he will play less games. I hope is a temporary thing but the Terminator Matey from 2006 remained in the past and Matey of nowadays isn't the same athlete. I'm saying this because he is still though to be one of the volleyball gods but in my opinion he is now behind players like Juantorena, Murilo, Mikhaylov, etc.