Volleyball Nutrition and Heavyweight Training

• Very happy about the win against Germany. Went to bed at the end of the third set, but had a nice surprise in the morning :). This time Bratoev was setting better, and his brother was good also, great reception. Think Penchev improved reception a lot also, wish he was better in attack and not so "slim".

He needs to eat way more, and to train like a powerlifter to grow some muscles. 3-4 litres of real milk with 3 times per week deep low bar squatting and deadlifting will make wonders with him, but not deadlift with 60 kg's as I saw Kaziyski on that Nova TV video, but over 200kg

• He needs to eat way more, and to train like a powerlifter to grow some muscles. 3-4 litres of real milk with 3 times per week deep low bar squatting and deadlifting will make wonders with him, but not deadlift with 60 kg's as I saw Kaziyski on that Nova TV video, but over 200kg

Weight training is very, very different for different kinds of sports. 60kg deadlift is very reasonable for a volleyball player, find me a guy over 200cm that can do with 200kg and it is not a weight lifter, and I'm not even sure there are weight lifters that tall at all. And 3-4 liters of milk is the worse thing he can do, milk is not as good as commersials make us believe. But he really needs more muscules, and I'm surprised he didn't gain any weight in Italy.

• Raylight? 3-4 litters of milk? :cheesy:
    you have to be crazy! just reed some new nutrision studies on the topic of milk and its astma relation?!!? :sleeping:

Add cancers and autoimmune disorders and mental issues and not to forget hearth problems. It is getting out of topic though. The next tournament in Portugal at leas will be in a better time of the day, not going to be a zombie the next day :).

• He needs to eat way more, and to train like a powerlifter to grow some muscles. 3-4 litres of real milk with 3 times per week deep low bar squatting and deadlifting will make wonders with him, but not deadlift with 60 kg's as I saw Kaziyski on that Nova TV video, but over 200kg

Do you know anything about powerlifting? Щангисти, I mean. They do exactly the opposite of what you say they do. Their training focuses on strenght and power gain and not on muscle gain. The most important aspect they look for is strenght per pound of bodyweight so they don't grow muscles! What you mean here is bodybuilding which is totally different and Penchev doesn't need only that. He needs to improve his flexibillity and power thus improving his jump height. Improving his power will subsequently build more muscle mass but that's not the #1 goal.

Also, these deadlifts over 200kg are useless for volleyball players if that's the only thing they do. I don't know why you mix things - practices for volleyball and athletic performance are totally different from bodybuilding practises. And there are physical trainers in the NT that I think know better than us what is good and what is not.

• Do you know anything about powerlifting? Щангисти, I mean. They do exactly the opposite of what you say they do. Their training focuses on strenght and power gain and not on muscle gain. The most important aspect they look for is strenght per pound of bodyweight so they don't grow muscles! What you mean here is bodybuilding which is totally different and Penchev doesn't need only that. He needs to improve his flexibillity and power thus improving his jump height. Improving his power will subsequently build more muscle mass but that's not the #1 goal.

Also, these deadlifts over 200kg are useless for volleyball players if that's the only thing they do. I don't know why you mix things - practices for volleyball and athletic performance are totally different from bodybuilding practises. And there are physical trainers in the NT that I think know better than us what is good and what is not.

Ok, let's talk about squat. There is strong correlation between FULL squat strength and running speed, vertical jump and other athletic abilities. Deadlifts are for denser bones and better ligaments. Power lifting is not about olympic weightlifting it is press, squat and deadlift

• Ok, let's talk about squat. There is strong correlation between FULL squat strength and running speed, vertical jump and other athletic abilities. Deadlifts are for denser bones and better ligaments. Power lifting is not about olympic weightlifting it is press, squat and deadlift

Bench press, squat and deadlift are the three basic and most fundamental training exercises and all athletes are using them from Olympic lifters and bodybuilders to swimmers and volleyball players. But there is a huge difference between one squat and other squat. Even two full squats with the same weight can be performed for 2 totally different goals. Of course that squatting helps the jump height(we're talking about volleyball, I don't know why you put running speed, there are no sprints in this sport) but squatting can also affect the jump height negatively. It all depends on the way it is performed. You're talking about 200kg deadlifts, strength and bodybuilding and I'm talking about mostly squatting(there is also bench pressing and deadlifting, of course, as well as other important exercises such as plyometric drills) and power(different from strenght). You said:" 3-4 litres of real milk with 3 times per week deep low bar squatting
    and deadlifting will make wonders with him, but not deadlift with 60
    kg's as I saw Kaziyski on that Nova TV video, but over 200kg"
    This is not good for volleyball players unless 200 kg are lifted only once. 3-4 litres of milk, 3 times per week squatting is nothing but bodybuilding which will only baloon Niki, will slow him and will drop his jump height. He is a volleyball player and he shouldn't have the body of Dwain Chambers. There are several better methods of training and I'm sure that people who studied that and work that and are considered the best at what they do know better than you and me what's best for Niki Penchev. Or you say that the staff in Piacenza and in Bulgarian NT are of uncapable individuals?

• There is no way squatting can effect jumping height negatively while increasing strength. It can reduce the jumping height only during recovery from the workout, nothing more. Low bar squat is full body exercise, athletes need in some of the phases ot preparation to use heavy weights to reduce injury risk or put some meat like in the case of Penchev. Any healthy boy can turn into a man with heavy squatting and enough food, especially organic milk. Shane Hamman is the example for the first claim. He is USA powerlifter and olympic weight lifter, with 160 kgs on 185 cm, and he has 90 cm vertical jump with that weight His top squat is 453 kg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Hamman

• LOL I think you have never played volleyball...

Born for Volleyball, lives from Volleyball, dies with Volleyball.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• LOL I think you have never played volleyball...

And? I have played other sports if you know what "defensive tackle" means. I have never claimed that I played volleyball. I claim that I know what is weight training and you all here don't. For example statements as "don't squat deep, cause your will hurt your knees" or "the deadlift is bad for the back" can be said only by people who don't know anything about these exercises. If we can quote the most popular coach on them: "There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that
    produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance
    and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement,
    muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength,
    psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning
    than the correctly performed full squat.

"

• I think you don't read what I say. Read again and tell me when did I say full squat is dangerous or not neccessary! I say squatting has to be performed right and if it's performed wrong, it'll improve your strenght but won't improve your power which will lead to negative effects especially for volleyball players. That's why squatting is combined with other exercises.
    And the people laughed at you because defensive tackle and 160 kg men have nothing to do with volleyball. I thing you don't get that there are different training methods for different sports. So go to your fitness club, squat until you fall down, build your muscles and do your defensive tackles. But don't offer your methods to volleyball players.

END :offtopic:

• And? I have played other sports if you know what "defensive tackle" means. I have never claimed that I played volleyball. I claim that I know what is weight training and you all here don't.

Well I had no Idea before but Wikipadia is always handy.

Your sport is about strong big muscles, stability and a kind of "manpower", volleyball is a sport where you need explosivity, flexibility, fast reactions, and need to find the good relation between the body weight and atletic abilities. (as after a while the muscle mass will be a disadvantage causing the joints to be more "fixed", slows down the player and also will give knee problems long term.

The other aspect is that all people have two kind of miscle fibers, Let's call them short (fast) and long (slow) fibers. It is genetical which individual has what percentage of these fibers in their body, or which one they can improve easier. Long muscle fibers are for main stability and can be improved by working out with big weights,slow movements,few reputation, but these will result with relaitvely slow movement (body builders, weight lifters). The short muscle fibers in the other hand can be improved with smaller weights,fast movments and more reputation, so these muscles will result rather a muscle tone and fast, explosive movements, flexibility (volleyball players). Of course in every sport they use both kind of muscle workout, but it depends on the sport what is the relation between the two types of workout. Also in volleyball they use both, specially in pre season they practice with big weights to give muscle volume and then as they go towards the season they combine it with explosivity trainigs. So coaches are playing with this two based on in what phase of the championship are they.

About nutritions milk is a good source of protein but too much from it is not good for the body, also for regenerating and feeding the muscle after workouts shorter chained amino acids are more effective as the body can handle them faster then milk, which has longer chains of these amino acids and so it takes more time for the body to use it.

I would have thought in Itlay they have a nutritionist working with the team, if not then he has to take care of it by himself as I guess he has a very fast metabolism.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• sorry for the :offtopic:

• sorry for the :offtopic:

Milk is the only food that raises IGF-1 levels significantly, 4 litres raise it between 30-40 percent, it is not replaceable by other foods. It's not a food, but a doping. This quantity is for skinny puppies who want to become real men and is not for life. Sorry for the weight-lifting topic.

https://www.mcgill.ca/files/po…lmes_cancerepi02vol11.pdf

• According to most modern nutritionists milk and dairy is a poison :). Get high blood pressure, heart attacks, autoimmune disorders, cancers, strokes, they are all connected to dairy. I can live with squats, but not milk :).

• According to most modern nutritionists milk and dairy is a poison :). Get high blood pressure, heart attacks, autoimmune disorders, cancers, strokes, they are all connected to dairy. I can live with squats, but not milk :).

It is not supported by science. Milk is optimal food for your entire life, just they cut it for you because the next baby have to drink it too :)

• I move the off-topic discussion about food, drinks, diets and different kinds of trainings here, so you can talk as much as you want without ruining the World League thread.

• Thank you for not deleting it, YavorD. :drink: I got too many emotions lately due to Lazarov and I need to calm down :roll:

• It is not supported by science. Milk is optimal food for your entire life, just they cut it for you because the next baby have to drink it too :)

Give me an example of one animal that uses milk as an adult? And also cow's milk is very, very different that humans. Also don't forget that it is a big industry, not so easy to go against them. Almost all modern diets exclude dairy, at least the ones I've red. To me this looks like explaining to a communist in the 70's that capitalism is not bad and it is the better model.