Why Volleyball is the best

• Because

Effects of referees in the volleyball are the least in comparing all other contact sports, football, basketball, etc.

If you are Ronaldo, you can touch any other player - but, if you are touched, it is immediately called faul. Hate football, succcer

If you are Lebron James, you can touch any, but, if you are touched, it is immediately called faul. Hate basketball, bastardsball

If you are a rich club or if you are a club with lobbies in these sports, manipulating the results are very easy using referees. Hate lobies.

No more succers, bastardsballs, etc. These are disgusting sport industries.

In volleyball, such things are minimum as it is not a contact sport.
    This is why volleyball is the best in team sports.

• Hahaha, how subjective this is :lol: It sounds like: "My chick is the best chick, because it's... mine!" :D

There is some truth in what you're saying, but...

Lobbies and manipulation of games do happen in volleyball. They don't happen to the extent of football for ex., not because of the nature of volleyball, but because of the fact that volleyball is not that popular and there are less money in the sport, less money to be embezzled.

And you can't compare contact sports and non-contact sports. Non-contact sports have good points which non-contact sports don't have.

• This thread is so funny, but right, volleyball is the best sport for me (I think that i can say that for everyone here). I often say that one ball - all emotions ;)

• Lobbies and manipulation of games do happen in volleyball. .

It can happen only in awards and this is not so important as it is not a decision affect on who to win, who to lose. It can also happen only a few times, such as ball is in or out, player touched the net or not - but, since these are clearly seen in tv replies, false biased judges of referees can't repeat.

Lobbies and their manipulations are much less in volleyball, due to its nature (non-contact) of the volleyball. This is why lobbies don't like volleyball, their effect on who to win or who to lose by manipulations is minimum in volleyball. This is why volleyball is not so popular in the world. Well, as a sport industry. Actually, it is more popular than football and basketball as it is most played sport by ordinary people of the world, don't forget both females and males are playing. Count the population including females, you'll see volleyball is the most played sport.

• It can happen only in awards and this is not so important as it is not a decision affect on who to win, who to lose. It can also happen only a few times, such as ball is in or out, player touched the net or not - but, since these are clearly seen in tv replies, false biased judges of referees can't repeat.

Lobbies and their manipulations are much less in volleyball, due to its nature (non-contact) of the volleyball. This is why lobbies don't like volleyball, their effect on who to win or who to lose by manipulations is minimum in volleyball. This is why volleyball is not so popular in the world. Well, as a sport industry. Actually, it is more popular than football and basketball as it is most played sport by ordinary people of the world, don't forget both females and males are playing. Count the population including females, you'll see volleyball is the most played sport.

You're right but I'm also right.

There are cases when referees are making continuous mistakes, their calls decided the game and this had no consequences upon them. There are also referees who are appointed way too often in games of one certain club or national team. Frans Loderus comes first into my mind, he was even awarded by FIVB or CEV recently.

Lobbies happen also in which team/country would be host to a certain event and thus automatically qualify for its final stage. See Poland/SKRA.

Yes, there are fewer occasions where refs can deliberately make mistakes, especially if the Hawk Eye system becomes a regular part of the matches, but there are still some possibilities - net touch, block out, irregular pass/setting violation, etc.

CEV and FIVB are notorious for their corruption, so they have the capacity to fix matches. If there were more money in the sport and, thus, more money to be stolen, it could've been possible that FIVB/CEV can force/pay players and/or coaches to lose on purpose.

Don't consider the popularity based on the "top 10 most popular sports" in Google. I know volleyball is the fifth most popular sport but that doesn't mean that it's a huge industry and there are a lot of money in the sport. There are far more money (i.e. it is much more likely that criminals and corrupt officials intervene) in sports like football, basketball, American Big 4 sports, Formula 1, Athletics, alpine skiing, rugby, cycling, etc, etc,

• Lets keep individual sports aside such as cycling, athletism, etc and lets talk and compare team sports only.
    Also, lets take only "global" team sports (American football, etc are not "global" sports.)
    Lets not take "how much money" as a criteria as it does not reflect the popularity in the "world". For ex, American football has much money, but, popular only in USA and in few places only.

So, these 3 sports are most popular, "global" team sports in the world, in ranking:
    1. football/soccer
    2. basketball
    3. volleyball

First 2, soccer and basketball, are the sport industries with most money involved in the world.

Soccer: Nr 1 popular team sport in the world definitely, too many teams, too many players, too much media coverage and so on. So, yes, most money is in this field and it is not unexpected to see most of lobies and manipulations are in this team sport. Since it is a contact team sport, those lobies and so on are a lot in this field to exploit things for their own benefits and it is easy to manipulate by referees mostly. Calling some debatable touchs as fouls can change game flowing easily. Mostly played by MALES only

Basketball: Nr 2 popular world team sport. Same for soccer can be said for this too, too many lobies, easy manipulations, etc and even worse than soccer in manipulating by using referees as foul calls are very debatable. Mostly played by MALES only

Volleyball: Nr 3 popular in the media, etc - but, it is, to me, the most popular team sport in the world cause it is equally popular by both FEMALES and MALES. Due to involvement of females in this team sport more, I can claim that it is the most played team sport in the world, by ordinary people also, even though its media coverage is less than other team sports. Manipulating winners and losers is NOT so easy in the volleyball as there is no contact/touch which gives lobies and so on a huge advantage in their result manipulations. Home court advantage in this sport is less than others. True, it is not totally clean, but, much more cleaner than all other team sports in general and soccer and basketball in particular.

• Volleyball?

In prisme of World Football and Basketball are on Top.

When You open Football or Basketball site You may read results with stats from Nigeria or Australia.

In Volleyball sites You won't find anything from Africa or Wild Asia, but to go so far- what for? Two strongest volleyball leagues- in Azerbaijan You won't find results or stats on site, in Turkey You won't find stats of Players.

Volley is Titanic- only wait when will crush

• As I said, all these are due to lesser coverage by media which is run by money and money is in their hands of rich lobbies and so on who are gathering around soccer and basketball mostly. But, who cares media.. The same media, due to lobbies and riches, broadcast tennis or golf games more but, tennis is not popular sport at all among ordinary people, just a forcing by riches and media. Those riches and lobbies do NOT like volleyball cause they are ineffective in manipulating the results due to the nature of volleyball. Anyway, I didn't like volleyball cause of money in it (well, except betting as it is less effected by manipulations by lobbies) and even liked volleyball for all these reasons I mentioned above. Also, I liked volleyball more cause it is also played by females equally. Who cares media etc, most of ordinary people, females and males, play volleyball more than soccer and basketball.

• Man, didn't I tell you you're biased.

What do you mean by popular? With the biggest fan base or the number of active players? These stats about the popularity of sports are everything but accurate, they can only measure the number of active players, but that has less to do with the popularity of a sport. Its how many people watch and play recreationally a given sport which makes it popular. And the former can be measured most successfully by the amount of money in the given industry (although it could be inaccurate, esp. for "expensive sports as golf"). And volleyball is already outside the top 5 of their measures of "popular sport" , it's in 8th place now (behind sports like baseball and cricket, which you claim are only local events, but they're not, at least not in a broadcasting and viewing point of view.)

Also, people in the world watch and practice football and basketball recreationally dozens of times more than volleyball. Those two sports (football and basketball) in this regard are in another league, comparisons are unthinkable.

Maybe more females watch and play volleyball than basketball as a percentage of the viewers and participants but as a number of women, many times more women play and watch football and basketball.

Media coverage IS important. There is a reciprocal determination between media coverage and viewers' interest. People like a sport because it is shown to them by the TV, but also media shows certain sports because people like it. It's both ways.

Who cares media etc, most of ordinary people, females and males, play volleyball more than soccer and basketball.

Untrue!!! What does ordinary people mean? Whatever it means, it's wrong.
    Ordinary people :lol:
    Can you, please tell me the number of the ordinary people in the world, or at least in Turkey. And how many of them play football and basketball and how many play volleyball? C'mon, I'm curious :rolll:

And do you know what you sound like? If I exaggerate a bit, it is kind of:

"Volleyball is the best sport in the world. Why? Because it is most popular! Why is it most popular? If we don't count individual sports, American football, ice-hockey, baseball, cricket, rugby, etc. volleyball is the third most popular sport in the world behind football and basketball! But football and basketball are shit sports because I don't like them, that's why volleyball becomes the most popular sport ever!!! And because media doesn't count because it is nothing! And also number of female participants is the most important criteria for calculating the popularity of a sport - therefore volleyball is even more popular, not because women don't play more football and basketball, but because we don't count football and basketball as popular sports. And finally, the most important criteria is how many ordinary people play and watch a certain sport - and as we all now ordinary people play only volleyball!"

Sorry man, I like your posts and threads, they add variety to the forum and interesting discussions arise from them, but... this is ridiculous! You are always forcing your biased and subjective opinion to be the absolute truth. And you don't cover anything with facts and numbers which makes it even more ridiculous.

• Your opinions are mostly based on tv, media coverages.

Just a simple example:
    If you look at media, you'll see much more tennis, etc than volleyball.
    Is it because tennis is very popular among ordinary people of the world, say, 90% of world population?
    Not at all. It is popular by media because media address richer community more, not the majority of people of the world.
    So, lets ignore definition of "popularity" by media. Lets just look at around, things, people in the daily life.

When I walk by schools, factories, etc in the town here or any town in the world, these are what I see:

Most of boys play soccer in the world including this town here too, in schools, in factory areas, and so on.
    (there may be exceptions to this, such USA where most of boys play basketball , etc.. but, globally, soccer is nr 1 game all over the world.)

Most of girls in the world including this town here too, in schools, etc play volleyball
    (however, not always exact volleyball as they don't always use any net, but very similar, passing by hands to each others, without net)
    I have worked at factories in different cities too and most of workers play volleyball during work breaks.

These are ordinary people, big majority of world population, more than 80% of people.

Returning to my example, tennis. Been to Europe and high society regions of Turkey too.
    Yes, tennis is being played a lot, but, only a minority. But, their media coverage of tennis is much more than volleyball and usually people think tennis is much more popular in the world than volleyball. This is totally false, brainwashing by media and by rich lobies who call themselves elites. We watch their games mostly, not because their games are popular among ordinary people, majority of people.

So, you got what I meant by "popularity"? Not media coverage, but, by majority of people.
    My claim is volleyball is played more, even more than soccer and basketball, can be surprising to many, like you. But, I am not biased, like you. If you count also females, you'll see number of people playing volleyball is many more than people playing soccer or basketball or any other sport. You usually are ignoring females, and counting only boys, hence, it is normal to say, for ex, soccer is played more, but, statistically wrong. Volleyball is being played by more people of the world. (don't take only "professional" players. consider all world people.)

• OK, but volleyball is still not played by neither more people nor more females than basketball. Your observations are based only on 2-3-4 countries. You have to give me numbers. By statistics, basketball is more popular sport than volleyball both for males and females.

Also, if you want to play volleyball, you need a net and a field, with rules. Otherwise, it is not volleyball. As passing the ball around without hoops is not basketball.

But still, this is not the initial point. Popularity doesn't mean that a certain sport is "the best sport". This definition is strictly individual and subjective. So, nobody can say what sport is "the best sport". As of now, society has determined football as the team sport of all sports and athletics as the individual sport of all sports.

• Triglav, hear hear, hear what Matthias said. did you? It shows a reality, the more licensed people the more "popular" in majority of people who I preferred to call "ordinary" people.

Basketball is played more by females and males? You must be living in tall Norway or you yourself are a tall one.

Girls' passing the balls around, to each others, by fingers, sometimes hard like spiking is closest game to volleyball game. The net there is imaginary, invisible. Haven't you seen girls playing such games in school gardens? workers just outside of factories? They all are playing volley.

Okay, lets return to initial point, why volley is best sport.. without regarding its popularity, much or less.

As I said in my first post, volley game does not give "outsiders" (lobbies, etc) much chance to manipulate the outcome of the game as there is "no contact" of opponent players, which is totally manipulated by those lobbies, riches, referees and so on. Soccer and basketball have become like magazine programmes on televisions, people keep discussing "this was foul or not, referee decision is error or not, etc etc." The other day, I watched a basketball match, I was about to vomit. Referee gave all debatable decisions, fouls, etc on their side of home team. Was purely disgusting. I thought more about the off-field games rather than on-field game. Similar things happening in soccer/football too. industrialized sports, so-called sports, not sports at all, but, magazines, conspiracy holywood productions. My conclusion is volleyball is the best (and, my Vakif is best of bests:) )

• 1) The number of licenced players is not a direct indicator of the popularity of the sport. The popularity is a combination of

number of professionals in the sport + number of regular viewers + number of people practicing the sport recreationally.

Volleyball may be №1 in the first category, but is way down in the list in the other two.

2) Is "fairness" the only determinant to being "the best sport?". According to me, there are hundreds of determinants, you cannot conclude that one sport is best only by 1 determinant. That's why I said that it is highly subjective - each person gives different value to each indicator (fairness, competition, being physical, promoting health, etc.), so the "best sport" is different for each person.

• 1. number of licenced players may not be the perfect indicator of the popularity, but, it is the best indicator. I take "licence" here as also amateur licence, not only professional licence.

a) Number of "professionals" does not tell me much. Minority sports such as tennis have many "professional" licenced players and maybe, only a few amateur licenced ones.

b) Number of regular viewers? How can you count this? Stadiums? Those people going to stadiums are 1% of world population. Forget it. Viewers on televisions? We are watching whatever televisions are showing. I for one usually don't watch tennis as they show more than volleyball and I am sure majority of people, except rich minority, don't watch tennis, but, televisions still broadcast tennis matches more. We majority, ordinary people of the world, are zoomed into the boxes, tvs, which are not in our control, but, by a minority.

c) Number of people practicing as determining factor for popularity? YES, you came to my point. This criteria is the best criteria and acc to this criteria, voleyball practicing people are many more than other sports (again, don't forget to count both genders.)

2) "best sport". Okay, it is subjective if you call a sport as what you do. I do so. Sport is what I myself do. The rest is entertainment, more about off-field games, but, still, I can focus myself to the game, on-field game when I watch volleyball as referee effects are minimum comparing other sports, team sports with contacts.

• 1b. Look what I told you about the media and the population being reciprocal determinants of each other, that will explain what I meant.

1c.

voleyball practicing people are many more than other sports (again, don't forget to count both genders.)

This is again not true, you can count that more difficultly than 1b. And still its obvious that football and basketball is practiced more by both males and females.

• Because it's a gentlemen's sport

• Volleyball has so many ups and downs and it makes me excited everytime I watch...and sometimes play. In addition, I agree with the user above. It's a gentlemen's sport.

• rather than gentlemen's sport, it is sport of ladies, princesses.

I mean different thing. It is a sport without violence.