Why is Women Volleyball more popular than Men Volleyball- here ?

• I don`t understand, why the Men Topics in this Forum here has less frequence than the Women Volleyball?

Guys are watching Women VB, because they are Women. Women Volleyball is slowlier, lots of mistakes, the only thing - they are more attractive.

• I think the other way around. Guys volleyball is the one with full of mistakes, it unfortunately looks very mechanic. If you are tall and strong in guys volleyball, then you do well. In Women's volleyball, technique matters much more and often world's best players are the ones with best technique, not the ones that are naturally having an advantage like Musersky, Leon...

• Men volleyball often is boring, it is all about power. Who jumps highest and hits hardest wins. Women's volleyball has much more variations, requires more technical and tactical skills, has longer rallies, also more often surprising results. It's not about the attractivity of the players :roll:

• But that`s (Power, hardest hits) makes it interesting (for me)... I am currently watching DVV-Pokal Dresden - Stuttgart (o.k. lower Level than Turkish League, Russian League), but it`s quite boring

I'd say that men volleyball is easier (for men). That's why there is less game on the defensive.
    I think the net should be raised. The difference is only 19 cm but the guys are taller and jump higher...

• I'd say that men volleyball is easier (for men). That's why there is less game on the defensive.
    I think the net should be raised. The difference is only 19 cm but the guys are taller and jump higher...

That applies for the professional players, but remember the net height is the same for all levels of play. And for amateur players like me, 2.43 already is damn high...

• I don`t understand, why the Men Topics in this Forum here has less frequence than the Women Volleyball?

Guys are watching Women VB, because they are Women. Women Volleyball is slowlier, lots of mistakes, the only thing - they are more attractive.

Sometimes I keep asking myself the same question :) It is true, it appears like there are far more fans of female volleyball here. And before I give you my short opinion, let me just say that I fully agree with you.

Technically speaking, maybe the number of mistakes in both versions is about the same. You would think male volleyball is full of mistakes because of the physical presence and the speed of play, which is true, whereas I wouldn't say the number of unforced errors in female volleyball is surely lower. Besides, I am sorry but girls tend to risk less. Just look at the jump servers (the lack thereof), to start with. Also, to me the beauty of volleyball comes from athleticism mostly. And I hardly see any athleticism in slow, often predictable female rallies. Just my opinion, I have given it before as well. Different people, different tastes. This is why there are sections for the both versions here :)

• Besides, I am sorry but girls tend to risk less. Just look at the jump servers (the absence of such), to start with.

I think that has nothing to do with risk. Jump float serves simply are harder to receive than hard jump serves, unless the jump serve is hit perfectly. So of course women would go mainly with jump floats, and in men volleyball I think the trend also goes more towards jump float or at least towards a mix of styles...

• I think that has nothing to do with risk. Jump float serves simply are harder to receive than hard jump serves, unless the jump serve is hit perfectly. So of course women would go mainly with jump floats, and in men volleyball I think the trend also goes more towards jump float or at least towards a mix of styles...

I agree on Matthias. Even guys in high level now turning more and more to jump floats than jump serves. What I like in guys volleyball more is the setter's quality, then often have more speed and precision than women's. Rest are boring. I agree the idea that net height is far too low for higher level but I also agree on Matthias that for division 2-3 players, 2.43 is enough.
    But it's just a matter of taste. I like to see smart players, follow the ball easier, watch good rallies and smart attacks than pure power hits. On the other hand, many people like the other way around.
    I must add that guys volleyball is not always faster and harder, in some lower leagues like the Swedish league, guys volleyball is slower than some women's leagues like Russian, Turkish or Italian ones.

• I think disscusion about women's volley vs. men's doesn't have any sense. As Matthias wrote It's a difference of tastes and as we know de gustibus non est disputandum ;)
    But if you ask why HERE women's volleyball is more popular we have to back to the past. Inside-volley was created by me and Nastja, we both were admins of womenvolley.com before and our 90% (or maybe 99%) first members came from that site. In relation to this popularity inside-volley has grown more among fans, players and clubs of women's volleyball.

Btw. I'm curious if we have here someone who remember womenvolley.com and that time :whistle:

• I think that has nothing to do with risk. Jump float serves simply are harder to receive than hard jump serves, unless the jump serve is hit perfectly. So of course women would go mainly with jump floats, and in men volleyball I think the trend also goes more towards jump float or at least towards a mix of styles...

True, this is actually right. But players who are not that successful with their jump serves tend to mix it more or switch to floats completely. How come Grozer, Muserskiy, Leon, Tetyukhin, Kaziyski, Kurek, etc. don't do floats? ;) A float serve could still cause much damage, no question about that, and mainly teams with weaker receivers suffer from that. However, tough jump servers are still the hardest to stop and it hasn't changed. Also, guys, not every male spiker is that powerful. There are guys with a brain even nowadays ;)

But as I said, it is a matter of presence after all.

• For me if you want long rallies, you watch the women's game. Much better defense to keep the play alive than the men's game.
    If you want deception and power, then the men's game is for you.

The men's game is more start and stop, with service errors and quick points.

In the states, women's volleyball is much more popular due to the sheer number of club teams, high schools and universities that play the game. Let alone the success of Kerry-Misty on the beach.

• I could stop as well with writing: "Its a matter of taste" but that would be too boring...... 8)

Generally, i am convinced that the average male player is more "skilled" (ball handling, motorics, playing intelligence) than the average female one. There are just less opportunities to show, especially in defence, due to much higher speed and physicality of the game. That, of course, says nothing about the general attractiveness of the game and i could come back to my first phrase.

• Quality difference is more visible in women than men volley. I can hardly remember when was last men match to see socre 25-11 or sth like that. I cannot enjoy seeing 10-0 runs, endless rallies...but as Justyna said de gustibus non dispuntandum :whistle:

• It's an interesting topic for me because I come from a land (Modena) in which Male volleyball is practically a religion, very much more popular than the female one. At the beginning I was quite surprise by this attitude in this forum (more attention to the women)

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• It's an interesting topic for me because I come from a land (Modena) in which Male volleyball is practically a religion, very much more popular than the female one. At the beginning I was quite surprise by this attitude in this forum (more attention to the women)

I think it's high time I visited Modena then :D I am going to like it there for sure!