Doping in Volleyball

• Are you surprised? You shouldn't be.

• Interview with Vital Heynen about the doping issues. He says there are "too many coincidences" now, especially with Russian clubs missing players in Euro Cups. It looks like Markin's hearing that was planned for next week won't take place and nothing at all will happen...

• Interview with Vital Heynen about the doping issues. He says there are "too many coincidences" now, especially with Russian clubs missing players in Euro Cups. It looks like Markin's hearing that was planned for next week won't take place and nothing at all will happen...

Yet another quintessential piece of analysis from the volleyball genius strategist. And, jokes apart, there is a mentioning of an unpublished study and decisions made outside volleyball. What is unpublished may have never existed. By the way guys, did someone not tell you that it all would end up looking at the doses and reviewing the pharmacokinetics issue? In theory, it is a case when WADA can be caught by the hand... although now they have an excellent proof of potential health damage, once the drug takes this long to get excreted. Let me however share yet another secret with you about the true role of the vicious compound. A masterpiece of chemical industry that will keep every girl gilt next door excited:

Effects of meldonium on sexual performance, sperm motility, testes morphology and blood biochemical markers in boars

• I don't know how much it is probable for Russia to be completely banned from the Games, but if that happens its men's volleyball quota would be given to Germany and women's to Turkey. Has sth like this happened before?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/…i-2014-allegations-proven

• "Firstly, the McLaren Report is meant to be a totally independent report that must remain totally confidential until its publication on Monday, July 18 in Canada," Hickey said in a statement sent to insidethegames.
    "It is clear from the e-mail and letter that both the independence and the confidentiality of the report have been compromised.
    "Such interference and calls ahead of the McLaren Report publication are totally against internationally recognised fair legal process and may have completely undermined the integrity and therefore the credibility of this important report.
    "I have to question on what authority the US and Canadian Anti-Doping agencies prepared their letter and what mandate they have to lead an international call for a ban of another nation in the Olympic family."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/…r-ahead-of-mclaren-report

We will know tomorrow if Russia will be banned from RIO. It was supposed to be a totally independent and confidential report but it seems it has leaked to US and Canadian authorities. Russia does have a problem with their system but WADA also has systematic corruption it seems. In the meantime, British athletes who are reported to be cheating by ARD, as well as the Kenyans will compete in Rio. So basically Russia will be made an example of. Feels really sad for the volleyball girls and other clean athletes.

• We will know tomorrow if Russia will be banned from RIO. It was supposed to be a totally independent and confidential report but it seems it has leaked to US and Canadian authorities. Russia does have a problem with their system but WADA also has systematic corruption it seems. In the meantime, British athletes who are reported to be cheating by ARD, as well as the Kenyans will compete in Rio. So basically Russia will be made an example of. Feels really sad for the volleyball girls and other clean athletes.

In this world, many things are possible and everything about the Olympics is colossally political. So the fact that the chaps are working hard for their bosses to put some pressure on Vova Pu is hardly a surprise. I wonder however what US volleyball team thinks about these efforts. In particular, people like Ball, Priddy, Anderson, Lee, Holt.

• In this world, many things are possible and everything about the Olympics is colossally political. So the fact that the chaps are working hard for their bosses to put some pressure on Vova Pu is hardly a surprise. I wonder however what US volleyball team thinks about these efforts. In particular, people like Ball, Priddy, Anderson, Lee, Holt.

Yes that will be interesting. My respect for Jenn Suhr the pole vaulter has increased immensely after she spoke up for Isinbayeva and Suhr was criticized in turn by a US representative. I would like to see more athletes speak up without fear.
    I don't mind the guilty athletes punished. By all means ban Efimova, Savinova and all of Chegin's athletes. Ban the biathletes for years too. But the hypocrisy annoys me.And UKAD has been testing all Russian athletes this past year since RUSADA was suspended.

Not only was the McLaren report leaked, USADA and Canadian officials went behind the European federations' back to get signatures for a ban. This is like abusing the kids to cause harm to the parents. On the bright side FINA, FIG and FIVB have all opposed a blanket ban.
    Sorry if this isn't volleyball related but i think FIG president Bruno Grundi's words need to be shared:

"The rights of every individual athlete must be respected. Participation at the Olympic Games is the highest goal of athletes who often sacrifice their entire youth to this aim. The right to participate at the Games cannot be stolen from an athlete, who has duly qualified and has not be found guilty of doping. Blanket bans have never been and will never be just."

• http://www.fivb.com/en/about/n…ut-in-support-of?id=63499

Lausanne, Switzerland, July 18, 2016 - A range of leading volleyball athletes from different countries have supported FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°’s stance regarding the Russian national volleyball teams competing in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

On Saturday, President Graça said: “The FIVB has zero-tolerance towards doping but the FIVB is also confident there are no major issues with the anti-doping process concerning Russian volleyball players since much of the testing analysis is done outside Russia, primarily in Germany. The FIVB cannot punish the Russian national teams simply because of problems in some other sports.”

Emanuel Rego, the Brazilian Olympic champion in beach volleyball, said on the possibility of a Russian ban at the Rio Olympics: “It is a decision that has to be very well thought out and studied because there is much more innocent athletes than those doped. You cannot take an attitude without thinking of the innocent. It is a drastic decision that can punish good athletes that do not indulge in doping”.

Gilberto Amauri de Godoy Filho (Giba), the Brazilian Olympic champion in volleyball and the President of the FIVB Athletes’ Commission, said: “We have seen many Russian athletes in various sports being punished for doping. Prohibit Russia to compete in the Olympics will take much of the brightness of the competition, but it is necessary to consider curbing doping”.

Laura Ludwig, the German four-time European Champion in beach volleyball, said: “If the FIVB and the IOC are convinced that they [Russians] are not involved with the state sponsored doping program then there is no need for them to be sanctioned for other disciplines' wrong-doing.”

Julius Brink, the German Olympic Champion in beach volleyball, said: “The obviously state supported doping scheme at the Sochi Olympics shocked me but it does not make me think that all Russian athletes were/are doped and must be banned. To ban a whole nation from the Olympic Games will always hit those who are clean and punish them.

• https://twitter.com/ringsau/st…oto/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

As you can see, not every sport is affected equally. Therefore this blanket ban is unfair. They have already banned the track and field athletes who are appealing through CAS. Should volleyball players pay for what their athletic counterparts did? Should their lovely rhythmic gymnasts who are just 19 y.o kids whose careers would end by age 22 also pay for it? The numbers in total looks damning but when you break it down to individual sports it is a whole different story.
    If I may add, how does this compare to US, China and Kenya?

• "The rights of every individual athlete must be respected. Participation at the Olympic Games is the highest goal of athletes who often sacrifice their entire youth to this aim. The right to participate at the Games cannot be stolen from an athlete, who has duly qualified and has not be found guilty of doping. Blanket bans have never been and will never be just."

Saint words!

• The following is in a sarcastic tone:

Yes, my goal was to get to the Olympics. So I did it anyway possible, by taking performing enhancing drugs, but I should not pay the consequences for violating the rules. Oh, were those drugs given to me by my own government? Why yes, I live in government training centers, but I did not know what was in those pills, so you can't blame me for what was in them.

FIVB talked about We Play Clean in the past and now when presented with a chance to say We Play Clean, well we can't make our Russian partners mad because well we just can't.

Ary, you are the head of this organization? You look horrible with this statement from this press release.

Holt caught got while playing in Russia for Melodium. The USADA basically tells people you have to know what you put in your body. I don't think that the Russian training staff knew if they gave him something that he'd get caught.

Hell, I'd have used Holt as an example to say, you made a mistake, but you have to pay. As a USA fan, I'd hate to do it, but players violate rules and don't get punished either monetarily or with suspensions. Where can I sign up to violate these rules.

• I agree with you on the first part that all athletes should bear responsibility for everything that they consume. Holt's case is even worse than all the other meldonium cases as his sample was positive after 6mnths of the drug being banned which means he definitely took it this year. And I doubt it was the training staff's fault. But that is very different from Markin's case. WADA's fault for hurriedly banning it without knowing anything about its pharmacokinetics. Meldonium taken before 2016 is legal even if taken on 31 dec 2015. As for its valid PED effects :whistle: that is another argument for another day.

Perhaps I'm naive but I am against collective punishment because even in athletics it encompasses only the long distance runners/walkers and their throwers. Someone like Isinbaeva for example trained in Monaco for 5 yrs and was tested there. In fact, by using IAAF's logic that they should all be presumed guilty, IAAF commission itself should have be banned after their corruption scandal last year. Seb Coe the vice president didn't know what the president and treasurer were doing? The hypocrisy kills me. :down:

The only thing I agree with WADA is that Mutko has got to go and Russia needs to restructure. I would love to see Putin actually convict those involved. Btw the report is such that only some individuals of the Russian state involved. There is no direct implication that they are supported by the government though I highly doubt that.