The volleyball players with the same full name

• If Guangdong Evergrande returns Chinese League A, you will find Liu Ya-nan born in 1997 as a middle-blocker.
    In the history of Chinese volleyball, there are "three Li Ying-s" (a libero, a MB, a OH/OP) and "three Wang Chen-s" (a male OP, a female setter and a female OH).
    I am curious about it around the world.
    :D

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• In Poland, we had Dominika Nowakowska (born in 1992, MB) and Dominika Nowakowska (born in 1988, OH/L). They are also 2 players called: Aleksandra Sochacka, both born in 1997, both are OH. Aleksandra Sochacka #1 played for Impel Wrocław last season and she got injuried. I don't know where she plays right now. Aleksandra Sochacka #2 plays for American University.

• Gabriela Guimarães, OH, plays in Rexona and in the NT
    Gabriella Guimarães, also OH, plays in Nestlé

• There are two Pauline Martin in France (one S and one MB), playing together a few years ago in French junior NT, and now playing again togther in Béziers :lol:

And there is another Pauline Martin in Belgium, OH from 2002, playing for Dauphines Charleroi.

In Russia there are two Olga Efimova playing in Sakhalin. And there are two Irina Smirnova: one is the mother of Ksenia Ilchenko and Olympic champion 1988, the other plays for Linamar in Hungary and before that for Monza in Italy.

• There are a lot of common names in Bulgarian volleyball as well, especially when there is a number of very popular family names in the country. I won't bore you with old players or an exhaustive list of less known ones, but there is a curious case. The name Georgi Petrov could be found more than once in the team rosters in recent seasons. There are 3 people with that name, 2 of them are still active players. The veteran Georgi Petrov (OH), who is now a coach I don't know where, used to play for Levski until a few years ago. He then became coach of the team and assistant in the senior NT and some junior/youth NTs. There are 2 younger players with the name Georgi Petrov and they almost played for the same club. One of them (OPP) is a former player of Neftochimik 2010 and is now competing for Deya Volley Burgas in the second division. Neftochimik 2010 recruited a talented kid Georgi Petrov (OH) for the 2016-2017 campaign (I think he came from Slavia Sofia, not 100% sure), he is the youngest of all those mentioned.

• Gabriela Guimarães, OH, plays in Rexona and in the NT
    Gabriella Guimarães, also OH, plays in Nestlé

"High-jump" Gabi's full name is Gabriela Braga Guimarães.
    "Strong" Gabi's full name is Gabriella Guimarães de Souza.
    Their full names are not same in fact.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• "High-jump" Gabi's full name is Gabriela Braga Guimarães.
    "Strong" Gabi's full name is Gabriella Guimarães de Souza.
    Their full names are not same in fact.

But that's how they are known in volleyball world. Brazilians always take both their mother's and father's family name.

• in Poland dont forget Katarzyna Wysocka (MB, 1981) and (L, 1987)..also Marta Wojcik was some MB in Bialystok for one year..second one is Marta Wojcik-Pluta , setter

in Slovakia male NT you had 2 Martin Sopko - they are born on the same day (but one is 5 years senior), they are from the same town and lived on the same street and are not relatives

• in Slovakia male NT you had 2 Martin Sopko - they are born on the same day (but one is 5 years senior), they are from the same town and lived on the same street and are not relatives

Hahahaha, I know them both, but I didn't know their "common" story. What a cool story it is :D

• Left: Li Rui (李睿, 睿 means intelligent), the middle-blocker of China men's national volleyball team and Team Henan Senior of Chinese League now
    Right: Li Rui (李蕊, 蕊 means stamen or pistil), the outside hitter of China U21 men's national volleyball team and Team Sichuan Junior now

Images

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Olga Efimova, 27 yo, setter of Sakhalin
    Olga Efimova, 20 yo, outside-hitter of Sakhalin

This is very funny, I try to imagine how it's the narration :lol:

• http://www.volleychina.org/nm/2019/0520/5976.html

one of the training players in Chinese U19 male NT this year:

四川:李博

(Sichuan: Li Bo)

Haku Ri's Chinese name is just 李博 (Li Bo).

Haku Ri's mother, Zhu Xiao-ru, is from Zhejiang and the former setter of Chinese women's NT.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• There are a lot of common names in Bulgarian volleyball as well, especially when there is a number of very popular family names in the country. I won't bore you with old players or an exhaustive list of less known ones, but there is a curious case. The name Georgi Petrov could be found more than once in the team rosters in recent seasons. There are 3 people with that name, 2 of them are still active players. The veteran Georgi Petrov (OH), who is now a coach I don't know where, used to play for Levski until a few years ago. He then became coach of the team and assistant in the senior NT and some junior/youth NTs. There are 2 younger players with the name Georgi Petrov and they almost played for the same club. One of them (OPP) is a former player of Neftochimik 2010 and is now competing for Deya Volley Burgas in the second division. Neftochimik 2010 recruited a talented kid Georgi Petrov (OH) for the 2016-2017 campaign (I think he came from Slavia Sofia, not 100% sure), he is the youngest of all those mentioned.

i heard that in BUL, there's not a lot of family names... so there's a lot of people with same surnames. in the women's NT, there's about 5 dimitrovas...

• i thought the 2nd gabi is a libero?

Gabi Souza (Gabiru) was an OH originally. In 2017, she became a libero until now.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• i heard that in BUL, there's not a lot of family names... so there's a lot of people with same surnames. in the women's NT, there's about 5 dimitrovas...

Well, there are many family names in Bulgaria, still there are 6-7 which are really popular. As you correctly pointed out, Dimitrov(a) probably tops that list, directly after should come Ivanov(a), Georgiev(a), Petrov(a), Stoyanov(a), etc. No surprise there are many players with said surname :)