Legendary Living Volleyball Players

• I started following international volleyball the moment Marieanne Steinbrecher -- with her beauty and ice cold persona -- helped Brazil won their first ever Olympic gold medal in Beijing. As time goes by, I learnt more and more about the world of volleyball. I just wanna know who do you guys think are considered as the living legends of volleyball? And why are they considered as legendary?

Giba, Dante, Serginho, Mikhaylov, Fofao, Gamova, Sokolova, Ruiz, Kimura, Takeshita, Sano, Sheilla Castro, Mari Steinbrecher, Logan Tom -- these are some of the formidable names when it comes to the world of international volleyball. Are they legendary? What makes them legendary? Who, other than these names, in your opinion are legendary?

DISCUSS!

• Our Iron woman Neslihan Demir :obey: She inspired so many girls to play volleyball profesionally

• I've been watching volleyball regularly for more than 15 years now. Sokolova is the best player I've ever seen. Next would be Sheilla. As for setters, I would pick Fofão.

• Mireya Luis, Liubov Sokolova, Logan Tom, Fofao, Irina Kirillova, Magaly Carvajal, Regla Torres, Ana Moser, Brenda Castillo, Kim Yeon-Koung, Saori Kimura, Yoshie Takeshita, Ekaterina Gamova, Francesca Piccinini, Taismary Agüero...

• I've been watching volleyball regularly for more than 15 years now. Sokolova is the best player I've ever seen. Next would be Sheilla. As for setters, I would pick Fofão.

Too bad I wasn't following back then during the hey day of Sokolova. But I love her tho since the moment I watch her (around 2008). She has a very cool persona on court, quite the contrary of her Russian team mates. Sheilla is indeed the best female Opp I have ever seen. She does not only hit hard, but she is very dynamic with her attacking. Her ball goes to every corner of the court. And her tips which I think has become her trade mark, is definitely one of the best I have ever seen as well. Fofao is legendary. Period. That tiny setter made a huge difference in female volleyball alongside another legendary setter - Takeshita.

Just wondering, does Sokolova and Fofao ever played abroad?

Mireya Luis, Liubov Sokolova, Logan Tom, Fofao, Irina Kirillova, Magaly Carvajal, Regla Torres, Ana Moser, Brenda Castillo, Kim Yeon-Koung, Saori Kimura, Yoshie Takeshita, Ekaterina Gamova, Francesca Piccinini, Taismary Agüero...

Piccinini -- how can I forget her? She is definitely one of the living legends of Italian volleyball.

• Just wondering, does Sokolova and Fofao ever played abroad?

Yes, they did, including together in Fenerbahce.
    Both played in Italy for a few years too, in different teams. Fofão was a two time Italian league champion and a one-time CL champion in Perugia. She also played in Spain.
    Sokolova played in Bergamo. I think she won one Italian league and one CL there. She also played in Jesi.

• Yes, they did, including together in Fenerbahce.
    Both played in Italy for a few years too, in different teams. Fofão was a two time Italian league champion and a one-time CL champion in Perugia. She also played in Spain.
    Sokolova played in Bergamo. I think she won one Italian league and one CL there. She also played in Jesi.

Sokolova played abroad a lot. Eczacibasi, Fenerbahce, again Eczacibasi, Japan, Spain, Italy.

• Yes, they did, including together in Fenerbahce.

Wow, cant believe these legends were a team back then. It always amazes me when top tier players play in the same club. And I don't really know who else have been playing abroad. It seems like these top Turkish teams have attracted so many top performing players. Do you know any other big stars from different countries that play in Turkey before 2012?

I want to add Fernanda Venturini :rose:

oh yes! the legendary setter. Fofao was a back up to her for years. fernanda made a come back in 2010 or 2011 and played in Rexona alongside Sheilla and Mari. that was a good year.

Sokolova played abroad a lot. Eczacibasi, Fenerbahce, again Eczacibasi, Japan, Spain, Italy.

do you know any other foreign players that have played in Brazil? I know Scott Aruda, Tom Logan, Sossa, Destinee Hooker, Nicole Fawcett, Kim Glass have played there.

• do you know any other foreign players that have played in Brazil? I know Scott Aruda, Tom Logan, Sossa, Destinee Hooker, Nicole Fawcett, Kim Glass have played there.

In the 90s there were many foreigners in Brazil: Tara Cross-Battle, Piccinini, Natasha Leto (Osmokrovic), Irina Kirilova and many more...
    In the last couple of years: Sarah Pavan, Brankica Mihajlovic, Herrera, Ramirez, Alisha Glass, Stacy Sykora...

• the legendary or star players of my era : Glinka,Grün,Flier,Zetova,Gamova,Sokolova,Osmokroviç,Neslihan,Logan,Mirka,Ravva,Aysun Özbek (imo,she was a legandary MB for turkish volley),Poljak,Arzu Göllü,Eda Erdem,Fofao,Takeshita,Raşiç,Brakoçeviç,KYK,Lo Bianco,Piccinini,Mammadova,Gözde,Del Core,Koşheleva,Goncharova,Mihajloviç,Neriman,Saori,Sano,Gülden

i didnt watch them or watched few times but i can say Russian Artamonova,croatian Ruziç-Jeliç