what will they do next

• with that kind of style, brazil is practically unchallenged in the past two years
    but whatll brazil do to improve so that they can take gold for sure?

now russia has the recipe: gamova, godina, sokolova, but what do they need to keep more golds?

what ya gais think :D

• Quote from "colossus"

with that kind of style, brazil is practically unchallenged in the past two years
    but whatll brazil do to improve so that they can take gold for sure?

now russia has the recipe: gamova, godina, sokolova, but what do they need to keep more golds?

what ya gais think :D

brazil has very good set of players. but what they need to do to win is that they should also prepare themselves mentally, especially when situations are really tense (i.e., match point). volleyball is also a mental game.

in russia's case, they really need an experienced setter. perhaps if they have a russian fofao, russia would have been unbeatable.

• cosmid,
    i agree with you.
    Brazil has probably the best team, even the benchplayers are worldclass...
    the only thing they lack is mental power. Maybe the brazilian federation should employ a therapist... sounds a bit weird but thats pretty common in sports as tennis for example...
    they just need to learn to concentrate on every point and not to think "wohoo we will win after this point!" and not to get too much excited...
    But thats so easy to say...

hmm i even dont know what russia should change... akulova is pretty fine and till 2008 she will gain much experience, same as merkulova will. Gamova, Godina and Sokolova are the basis, if they play, russia is almost unstoppable :wink2:

• umm, true brazil need to mentally strong at match points, after all, they lost at match pts to russia

nastja, is akulova is bench sub for sheshenina of russia or a member of starting 7?

• sheshenina used to be the first setter of the russian team, but it seems now that akulova took her place. Akulova was the first setter in the WCH so thats why i think she is part of the starting team :)

• thx for the info, still room for akulova to have more experience, after all, both russian setters are so young :)

ummm, then, the only problem for russia is to have a new wing spiker for rainy days, after all, godina is getting on her 30th birthday

this year, i can see merkulova improved a lot----if she goes on having more big competition experience, she will be awesome 8)

• Quote from "Nastja"

sheshenina used to be the first setter of the russian team, but it seems now that akulova took her place. Akulova was the first setter in the WCH so thats why i think she is part of the starting team :)

i think russia's coach chose akulova because she had faster plays compared to sheshenina's.

• The brazilian nt team is definitely the best team in the world nowadays but unfortunately we have a huge problem, the psychological problem.
    Brazil easily gets anxious and nervous at the decisive moments in big competitions.
    I have no doubts of the brazilian pontential, but before they start thinking about the gold medal, they need a to work their psychologial problem.

• I'm almost sure they DO therapy while they're in Saquarema, but dunno if there's a therapist who travels with the team. If they don't have, they should.
    Althought I think it's normal that what differs the teams are the psycologic part, one team has to win, the other one loses. But it's kinda of annoying that Brazil lose a lot of important decisions ONLY because of that factor.

• I agree, Brazil need a psychologist.

In my opinion, Akulova is better than Sheshenina. Akulova is faster and more innovative. Anyway if Akulova and Sheshenina want to improve their setting skills, they have to go playing in non-Russian clubs. However Russia with Gamova, Sokolova and Godina can win even with mediocre setting.

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Althought I think it's normal that what differs the teams are the psycologic part, one team has to win, the other one loses. But it's kinda of annoying that Brazil lose a lot of important decisions ONLY because of that factor.

brazil has that potential, no doubt, after all, they are young, at least most of them
    but is their psycology pronlem that big? when i saw them play, they look so happy in every game?

true, the russia now is just like what has been in the past, artamonova, godina and sokolova with the exception that the russian back row defense is a lot better---the back court defense cost the olympic gold for my beloved artamonova

but its time for caprara to think about the possible players for sokolova and godina, with good bench depth, at least, sokolova and godina have to play every match---stamina could be a problem for veteran players

btw, does any one prefer holland and germany, especially holland cos they will play in next years grand prix---great techniques pleasant to my eyes,

• I think the psicological problem has been a huge issue for years in women's brazilian team.

I read an article from a brazilian newspaper pointing this out. They said that Peru in the 80's (brazil was until mid 90's the runner-up team in southamerica), Cuba in the 90's and Russia in this decade were the big barriers for Brazil and for some reason brazilian players couldn't play at their best every time they faced these teams.

Hope they could overcome this situacion very soon and get the gold in 2008. :roll:

• Quote from "xopxeech"

I think the psicological problem has been a huge issue for years in women's brazilian team.

Russia in this decade were the big barriers for Brazil and for some reason brazilian players couldn't play at their best every time they faced these teams.
    Hope they could overcome this situacion very soon and get the gold in 2008. :roll:

but this year some say russia has ben lucky, after trailing from behind like what they did in 04. but back then russia is a lot younger....
    as for 2008, russia will have sokolova 31 and godina the same...though i must say one gamova is already destructive enough...

but if russia dont have 2 veteran players on court, there is just one player that could support the team, ya know, one is against 3 in the front court is no a very good thing for russia :roll:

• :

any cuabn fans here
    i like to know if cuba still run 4+ 2 format
    :)

Yes they do, check the interview with Ruiz on the Women's Multimedia section, she talks about it.