Russia and Spain

• Since the other thread went off-topic, I will start a new one.

Some people didn't understand me. When I said every "aspect", I was not talking about the things required to make a good team. Obviously "mental power" is important for a team to win. Actually, not only that, there are many other aspects, like team work, experience, to have an homogeneous team - good players outside the starting six - a good defense system, willpower and determination, hardwork, players who are able to execute different tasks. and on and on. When I said Russia is better than Spain in "every aspect", I was not saying Russia is better than Spain in all of those things I mentioned. LOL!

I was explaining why I have no interest to take "revenge". The aspects I meant were things such as tradition, rank placement, etc. Spain can't compare with Russia in tradition, Spain is behind Russia in the World Rank, Spain places behind Russia in EVERY tournament - ECH being the only exception - Spanish team is technically inferior to Russia, 90% of people agree that Russia is currently the second best team in the world - the results show it - Russian players play in major European clubs, Spanish do not, etc and etc.

Those were the aspects I meant. I was explaining why there is no "rivarly" between both teams, no reason to want to take revenge, because that's like comparing David and Golias - again no disrespect, but when you are ahead of the other team in every possible way, how can you talk about "rivalry"?

With all that said, there could be only ONE reason for me to want to take revenge: The European Championship, but after the WC, even that makes no sense anymore.

See what I am talking about? I am not saying Spain isn't better than Russia in nothing at all. That's why I said the psychological aspect had nothing to do with what I was saying. I was talking about a different thing.

For example, some Brazilian said he likes to beat Russia more than any other team in the world. Why is that, if teams like Bulgaria, Poland and the US have been able to defeat Brazil more often than Russia in the past few years? Because Russia has the greatest tradition in volleyball - Russia, Soviet Union, whatever, I won't dwell on those details - so everyone wants to beat them. So even if Brazil is considerably better than Russia nowadays, it is still sweet for them to beat Russia.

But as for Spain, they aren't better than Russia, they haven't a greater tradition, they aren't placed higher in the rank, etc, so there is no reason for Russia to care about beating them - I repeat, the ECH was already revenged on the WC. It will be much sweeter to beat Brazil, which is number one in the world, or Poland, which is the actual vice champions of the world and has a glorious past in volleyball, or the US, who is twice Olympic Champions. Spain? Who cares? Let them enjoy their single volleyball "glory" ever attained. :lol:

I hope all is clarified.

• Well....

I do agree with you when you say tradition is part of the "fun" when you beat a team.

For me there is nothing better than beating Italy (not that difficult nowdays), Russia, USA and Poland (even though I like them a lot). Of course there are other TOP teams like Bulgaria and Serbia. But is not half the fun I have whenever we are blocking all Poltavsky's spikes, digging all Mastrangelo's spikes and crushing the Polish defense.... :thumbup:

• Spain? Who cares? Let them enjoy their single volleyball "glory" ever attained. :lol:

I care. It is not Liechtenstein. And who can guarantee, that they won't win anything in the future? It doesn't have to be only single volleyball glory (without "").

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• I agree with Konrad...
    Sure, tradition etc is important but maybe this is the beginning of spains.

a little example from another kind of sports.
    Tennis...
    Russia had no real history and now suddenly they write history by winning majors and being the number 1 in the world.
    So who knows, maybe Spain will be able to establish themselves the same way in the volleyball history and we are just the witnesses of this great rise now.

• I think the players care too.

Because in OG, they'll rather face the best current team than the best team of the last century.

Now of course, rivalry has a lot to do with history (and not only sport history), so I understand what you mean with Russia not really interested in taking revenge over Spain. But as Nastja said, who knows what Spain will accomplish in the future years ? And if Russia's and Spain's road start to cross each others more often (now that Spain is back in WL , will probably be at OG and will be at the next European Championship), there may start some rivalry, at least between the players, if not between supporters.

• First of all, forgive me for my evil level of english.

Second, they say that Russia is better than Spain, which gives me an incredible laughter.

Thirdly, why not looking for entertainment?

For the German, you are not best placed to talk about countries that have nothing to do with yours. You should focus on yours, and leave the rest as they are.

Sorry for my bad english :down:

For you, german... Look this photo :drink:

• german? i guess u mean me since im the only one here :lol:
    anyway, this is a forum and we discuss about countries (all countries) or else we could stay in our german/russian/polish forums, but inside-volley is for all nations and i think its a good place to exchange opinions.

Secondly, u have no idea where i come from, so dont judge ;)

and besides that, its always good to have some arguments regarding the own opinion

• For the German, you are not best placed to talk about countries that have nothing to do with yours. You should focus on yours, and leave the rest as they are.
    For you, german... Look this photo :drink:

I don't understand you at all 8| :roll: .Not because of your English. German? Which German? You are talking bout Nastja? I don't get you... You mean that somebody who lives in Germany can't comment other teams performance, skills and ablities? It is an absurd. You have right to talk about other countries and teams, if you are interested in volleybal and has some knowledge about it, no matter where do you live. It wouldn't be an interesting forum, if everybody talked only about themselves. It would be a monolugue, not discussion.

The most important 3:

• Damn, you were faster with your last post, Nastja :lol:

The most important 3:

• I don't understand you at all 8| :roll: .Not because of your English. German? Which German? You are talking bout Nastja? I don't get you... You mean that somebody who lives in Germany can't comment other teams performance, skills and ablities? It is an absurd. You have right to talk about other countries and teams, if you are interested in volleybal and has some knowledge about it, no matter where do you live. It wouldn't be an interesting forum, if everybody talked only about themselves. It would be a monolugue, not discussion.

Sorry. I was referring to russian hehehe

• Sorry. I was referring to russian hehehe

russian or german or any other nation u were refering, just be careful how u express yourself...
    you know, everybody has a nickname here, so use them if u refer to somebody. i dont call u spaniard either.
    the things about caring just about the own country been already said.

• You don't even know the difference between Russian and german. :roll: You should go to school before worrying about volleyball.

Anyway, it is not only tradition. Bulgaria doesn't have as much tradition as the teams I mentioned, but it is a nice match because of their good skills and the fact they have been playing in top level for the past years, with good placings. Japan has tradition, but I don't give a damn about playing against them. So, it is the sum of all aspects, and when it comes to Spain, there isn't a SINGLE reason - be it tradition, skill level, rank position, championship placements, etc - for me to worry about taking revenge on them.

By the way, I am talking about NOW. You are all saying "if this" and "if that". Well, if Spain becomes a major powerhouse, if it start to beat us in important matches, if it becomes top 3 in the world rank, etc then obviously a new rivalry will be born, but as of now, no.

When I said "who cares", I meant the fans of Russian NT. We have no reason to care at all.

• We don't care about Russian NT too. Sorry :down: but good luck.

Pd: The Kings of Moscow are spaniards. :win:

• When I said "who cares", I meant the fans of Russian NT. We have no reason to care at all.

Well, I can see a few reason suggesting that maybe you should consider to care about Spain ... :whistle:

• Come on guys....

What is so wrong about NOT liking a NT that much?! It is not like Russkii and some other people were direspectful towards The Spanish NT or its players. If he doesn't think Spain is a serious threat, so what?

Unless you are naive enough to believe in Santa Claus, you should know that it is indeed true that you are not respected by your opponents unless you have some major acomplishments to rub against their faces. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. Poland was just an average team before the World Championships. Nowdays, they are respected and many people would like to avoid playing them.

Spain won the EC. Good for them. But there is a LONG LONG LONG way for them to go through before they can be considered a real threat or strong candidates for OG and whatnot. I don't think this is disrespectful. It is just the truth.

• If he doesn't think Spain is a serious threat, so what?

That's no problem with me. I think he is wrong about it so I tell him, but everybody is free to have his own opinion..

• I liked a lot Spanish NT after this year, they deserved their success in Moscow without doubt, but i don't think that our games become rivalry. Spain isn't a good rival for Russia. Our best players (Kosarev,Tetyukhine,Abramov) had big problems with their serve. In 2005 we won with big difficulty.. Each team has its problem with other, for example, Brazil with Bulgaria. I hope Russia will be able to find its "game"

• Yeah, some people are too sensitive. They can't discuss objectively when the team they support is the subject.

I didn't disrespect no one. I neither like or dislike Spanish team, I am just not interested in playing against them for retribution sakes, like AFROMAN was wondering.Plus, it is NOT about them being a threat or not. Although I don't believe it, they can beat us in a major competition, but that is not the point.