Russia and Spain

• Every glorious story in sport starts with the 1st step. Spanish victory over Russia was a sign to the world the Spanish Team is improving, just like Serbia's victory over Cuba and Italy in the Women's World Championship last year.

For me, this is the nice thing about sports: it doesn't matter in theory if you have a better team, when teams enter on court, everything can happen. So, to make things simpler. Spain was better than Russia in the European Championship. Russia was better than Spain in the World Cup.

The only lesson we can take from this is not to underestimate the Spanish Team. They stand good chances of qualifying for the Olympic Games, they are just one step apart from grabbing their Olympic berth.

• I Agree with Brazilan Guy! :)

Spain have few history in Volleyball to compare with RUSSIA (much tradicion on HISTORY) , Brazil , USA , Italy..

Poland and Bulgaria have much history then Spain.. Cube too!

Spain WON One TOURNEMENT!

But HISTORY.. are MANY MANY years in HIGH LEVEL! :D

P.S - We can´t forgot Germany in the 70´s or Thecoslovaquia...actually Rep.Chech! :D

[img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9631/braitajq5.th.jpg]

"FIRE IN THE EYES" - THIS IS BRAZIL" :D

Edited once, last by Naples ().

• Spain WON One TOURNEMENT!

Actually they won 2 tournaments since they also won the European League this summer ... ;)

• Armel, which two?

And SO SO SORRY...

I Forget Iugoslavia (Serbia) e Holland have MANY MANY TRADICION then Spain! :thumbsup:

How I forgot two countries that WON the OG! 8|

• Armel, which two?

European League and European Championship (these are two different competitions).
    European League is only what it is, but still Spain had to beat teams like Germany, Holland, Slovakia (haf of former Czechoslovakia) and Slovenia (part of former Yugoslavia) to win it. And after bringing to the fore the historical background of all these teams, I'm sure you will agree that this is a valuable performance ... ^^

• I Think Spain.. is a 5 scalon of World Volleyball!

Level A -> Russia - Brasil - Italia - USA
    Level B -> Poland - ex - Czechoslovakia - Cuba
    Level C -> Serbia - Holland
    Level D -> Bulgaria - Germany
    Level E - France - SPAIN

This is MY LIST!

And YOURS?

• with an historical basis:

level A: Russia/USSR (no other team has had such success over such a long time)
    level B: Poland - Czechoslovakia (they are strong team since a very long time)
    level C: Brazil - Italy (have been dominating world volleyball during a few years but without background as long as the team mentioned above)
    level D : USA - Yugoslavia/Serbia - Japan - Holland (have had good results but without dominating like Brazil or Italy)
    level E : Bulgaria - Romania (won medals over a long time span but without achieving the same success than the team mentioned above)
    level F: Cuba - Germany (won medals over a shorter time)
    Level G : France - Argentina (won very few medals but are there since a long time)
    Level H: Spain (won very few medals)

But the most interesting question is "which team is climbing the ladder ?"

• Armel, how u took Brazil in same level that Italy.. Brazil have TWO OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS..Italy NONE!

First medal (important in world) to Italy was in OG 1984 (Bronze Medal)

Brazil have a Silver Medal in World Championship em 1980

Two World CUP against One to Italy
    Italy was three Gold Medals of World Championship against two for Brazilians.

Poland Don´t won NONE since the 70´s to WC un 2006

• Armel, how u took Brazil in same level that Italy..

Well, you put them on the same level too,so it's probably not such a stupid choice ! ;)

As I told you, I don't care that much about which team is on which scale of the ladder. What is really interesting is which team is climbing up the ladder. Brazil obviously is. And such is Spain.

• U are right Armel!

Only I didn´t understand why Poland have in LEVEL high then Brazil - Italy - USA ?! :D

• U are right Armel!

Only I didn´t understand why Poland have in LEVEL high then Brazil - Italy - USA ?! :D

he mentioned it Naples....

about Poland "they are strong team since a very long time"
    Brazil: have been dominating world volleyball during a few years but without background as long as the team mentioned above)

_____

understood it now? 8)

• My list (not forgetting bout history, of course):

Group A: Russia/USSR - Brazil - Yugoslavia/Serbia

Group B: Italy - The Netherlands - Bulgaria - Poland

Group C: Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic - USA- Japan - USA

Group D: France - Spain - Argentina - Cuba

Group E: Greece - Romania - Germany/DDR

Group H: the others

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• That's it, I (completely arbitrary, so it's anybody's right to disagree) think that it is easier to have a great eam performing very good during a few years (like the great generation of Dutch players in the 90's) than having 2, 3 or even more generations of players being successful. Poland obviously never dominated VB such as Brazil is doing since a few years, but they were one of the best team in the 50's, have been dominating in the 70's, and still are an important team now. That's why I put them higher, even if their all-time record may appear less strong than Brazil's.

• I think that Konrad's list is the mosr accurate one. And I think Poland may go in group A.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Spain? Who cares? Let them enjoy their single volleyball "glory" ever attained. :lol:

:S it was very impolite u know? I care about Spain, since they have won European League. Thanks for letting me enjoy, i hope in the future i will have more ocassions.

"Every volleyball player is a little bit psychopath, there are no normal people who want to voluntarily dedicate their life to this sport"
    Plamen Konstantinov

• Spain is at the moment having a generational change, where our WORLD-LEVEL coach is looking to the future. The player base to choose from is very limited and the local infrastructures and levels of development are frighteningly inadecuate.
    Personally I have nothing against the Russian team or any other and am not prepared to waste my time winding up other supporters. We also have to be careful with the different levels of English here, as it is easy to misunderstand what some forum members mean to say.
    It will interest many members to know that the word revenge between Russia and Spain did appear in an incident with the Russian manager, Anvyar Iskakov during the World League Finals in Madrid in 2003. But that is another story!