Pavel Abramov

• Pavel Abramov : a happy man
    29 year-old Abramov shone at the final World League in 2002. Since then he has been collecting medals in the Russian NT, but he is still dreaming of the most important one - the Olympic gold. Daily, he stars in one of the richest clubs in the world - Iskra Odintsovo, playing side by side with Russian and world - famous stars of volleyball. He looks back warmly at his two-year stay in Japan, but - as he says - he would like to play for the Polish public. Szyon Gębuś talks to Pavel Abramov

Before you signed a contract with Iskra Odintsovo, you played for the Japenese league for two years. What do you think about your journey to the East Asia?
    - I think of my stay in Japan warmly. I have really g to like the country and the people, whom I have met there. I was really impressed by the sympathy and bienveillance that the Japanese feel for foreigners. Moreover - which was very special for me - they really like the Russian. The conditions for volleyball practice in Japan are perfect, although their league can't compete with the sporting level even with Russia. Despite this, I think that playing in Japan was a valuable and learning experience. I always enjoy going back to that country, I like playing there.

How would you compare the game level of the Russian league before leaving for Japan to the present one?
    - When I was leaving for Japan, our league weren't as strong yet as they are now. However, in the last few years, the level of Superleague has improved greatly. At present our league is much stronger than it was a few years ago. The financial conditions are uncomparingly better now, and many class players from abroad have appeared in our team lately .

Do you think the Russian league can now compete, with regard to reputation and sporting level, with, still considered the best, the Italian Serie A?
    - With regard to the level of these leagues, it is difficult for me to compare them, because I have never played in Italy. I do, however, know it a little, from what my friends have told me, and I know that the level of Italian teams is high and very even. As Giba once told me - when you going to a game, you never know whether you will be able to return victorious, even if you were playing with the last team from the ranking . But this season, our team has really come close to the Italian one. I think that the level of the Superleague teams has really come even this season, there are many strong teams which have to be accounted with. The Italian league differs from the Russian one, most of all, by the level of the employed coaches. We are still a little behind with that. At present, many club coaches still come from the old times, who have worked all their lives in some club and still do. The world greatest coaches work in Italy. They are contracted for a limited time, which I think, is a very important factor contributing to the high level of their league.

The present Iskra coach - Zoran Gajić, is a very good professional. You have already, met him when he was the coach of the Russian NT. Unfortunately he didn't achieve the expected success. How is it to work with him in the club?
    - Zoran is Zoran. He doesn't change. Whether it's the club or the national team, he is always the same. Like any other coach, he has his favourite schemes, methods. The only difference is that trainings and preparing for matches in the club and in the national team are somewhat different. I am pleased with our co-operation.

Aren't you afraid of your position in the Russian NT? In one of your interviews you said, that coach Alenko doesn't trust your abilities. We could see that during the World Cup, when you spent a lot of time on the bench.
    - My place in the national team depends on the coach and as a player I have to simply accept his decisions. I can only say, that if I am needed, I will never refuse to play with the representation.

When do you plan to end your career?
    - I can tell you this: the later the better! It is not time to think about it yet. I have many plans for the future and we will see what comes out of them. I dream of a great triumph with the Russian national team, of course the best would be at the Olympic Games. That is my number one aim. Maybe I will decide to go abroad again. Travelling and playing in other leagues is not just a great volleyball adventure, but also a way to obtain sporting and life experience, learning about new countries and cultures.

Are you attracted by the perspective to try your strength in the Appeninian Peninsula?
    - It's not out of the question that I may play there, perhaps in the near future. I have already had a few propositions in the Serie A, but I haven't been able to take advantage of them yet. But if a good offer appears again, it is very likely, that I will consider it seriously. Anyway, Italy is not the only option for the future. Maybe I will have a chance to play in Japan again, maybe I will try in Poland...

Would you like to play in our (Polish) league in the future too?
    - Why not? I think that I would enjoy playing in your country. I know that your league is becoming more and more strong, and the contracts with players are higher. Additionally, I like the atmosphere prevailing in Polish volleyball, I also like your country.

What do you do in your free time?
    - I like to rest listening to music. I am a jazz fan, I have also started to listen to rock, espeially hits by The Doors or Nirvana.

I have heard that you greatly value films by the Polish director Roman Polański.
    - That's true. Maybe I haven't seen many of his films, but I remember The Pianist and Chinatown. I enjoyed both of them very much, especially The Pianist. I think it's a beautiful movie.

To finish our conversation, please tell me about the change, that took place in your personal life a few months ago.
    - Last year (interview is from 2007), on the 24th of August my daughter was born. Her name is Alexandra, she is very pretty. Every time when I go away, I miss her very much. My daughter's birth was a turning point in my life. My life has changed for the better since then, I have become a fulfilled and happy man. I have changed my values and my view of life has changed. Now I know that it isn't just about volleyball any more.

source: Świat Siatkówki (interview in original is a little bit longer and in polish)

• I like him
    He is a good player and a very nice guy (hehe Justyna i was so suprised seeing here the interview :D ).
    This interview was made at 10pm in the hotel before the game with Częstochowa, and he had a time for journalist and didn`t behave like a star.
    Simply a profesionalist :)

"Every volleyball player is a little bit psychopath, there are no normal people who want to voluntarily dedicate their life to this sport"
    Plamen Konstantinov

• He doesn't play as well as he used to, but one of my all time favorite players

• He doesn't play as well as he used to, but one of my all time favorite players

he is good volleyballe but all national team of Russia is not my favourite
    probably u know why :huh:

"To get from the sport what I have got,
    rain what you really like,
    always work at least a little more than you are asked to
    and believe that everything that happens to you
    is leading you to the TOP!"
    Ivan Miljković

• It is hard to picture him and Giba being "mates" :what:

I have always liked Abramov. He is not as good as he was in 2002, but I think he is a fine man. He is not arrogant at all and I like the way he behaves himself during the matches.

In fact I like everybody in the Russian NT... everyone BUT someone who shall not be named... :roll:

• I really don't like this guy...

Don't be Afroman! It's his unique style! Where are your arguments?
    P.D Спасибо,Юстина!

• Don't be Afroman! It's his unique style! Where are your arguments?
    P.D Спасибо,Юстина!

Hehe, thanks Gottlib, you are such a nice person. ;) To be honest I also don't like Abramov, and he may be good, as you may think, but it's not neceserily for me to like him. I don't think he is a top player.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• Abramov isn't my favourite too.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Afroman and Konrad, you met each other...Good way to express your opinion.

• Afroman and Konrad, you met each other...Good way to express your opinion.

Good idea, but it is a little bit to far now.
    And tell me: do I have to like Abramov? I don't like him AS A PLAYER, not because he is Russian. If it is necessary to be in love with every single Russian players - I will remember about it :roll:
    I wrote he is not my favourite, because he is not. I didn't write I hate him or something like that.

The most important 3:

Edited once, last by Konrad ().

• Good idea, but it is a little bit to far now.
    And tell me: do I have to like Abramov? I don't like him AS A PLAYER, not because he is Russian. If it is necessary to be in love in every single Russian players - I will remember about it :roll:
    I wrote he is not my favourite, because he is not. I didn't write I hate him or something like that.

I know it, don´t worry! I just want to know your arguments...You mustn´t like nobody. But I think your aren´t a child to write only "Abramov isn't my favourite too" I don´t defend him or somebody else. Only it´s must be a discussion, isn´t? I have always explained my point of view and I´m happy to congratulate any team with victory.
    I never try to pay attention to russian players here as our bulgarian "friends" because I don´t want to create one polar forum as they do. We are here to speak about volleyball. But as far as I understood the residentes of one slavonic country don´t want to understand it. It´s a pity. One of them called "pigs" Roma volleyball club... hummm I don´t think that is´t normal.

• OK, now I understand you.

The most important 3:

• Thank you!
    I like polish people, so I hope we will understand each other being pollite volleyball fans. :win:

• I don't approve this kind of behaviour, when superboob said that Roma are "pigs", he probably said it because of emotions, i am sure he doesn't think that Roma are "pigs". And I have written this in the forum. :)

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• even if in emotions, such behaviour is not appropriate here.
    He can use such expressions where ever he wants BUT NOT HERE.
    period
    and that pig topic is closed here now.
    This is about pavel abramov, so stick to the topic

• Stars to watch in Beijing: Russian wing spiker Pavel Abramov

Pavel Abramov is expected to be one of the shining stars for the Russian Men’s National Team at the Beijing Olympic Games in August. He is a wing spiker for his country and was part of the team that won the bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Games and the silver medal at the 2007 European Championships. A fluent English speaker who plays his Club Volleyball for Russian team Iskra, Abramov gave an absorbing interview with Italian Volleyball legend Andrea Zorzi as part of the Italian's "Follow Me" blog at the 2007 World Cup in Japan.

Andrea Zorzi: When were you born?
    Pavel Abramov: I was born in Moscow on the 23rd April, 1979.

When did you start playing Volleyball?
    I started to play Volleyball when I was 11, I think.

... you were very young.
    Yes, but it is usual situation in Russia.

Why did you choose Volleyball?
    You know, I started playing Volleyball just by chance because I was studying in a usual school and the coach one day came to our school, asked the class to stand up and I was one of the tallest guys in the class. So several guys and several girls got the invitation to the Volleyball practice, so that’s how I started playing.

At that time, did you like Volleyball?
    Maybe not pretty much from the beginning because it was hard for me to study and to play because after school I had to go to the practices and sometimes it was difficult for me. I got tired.

Do you like any other sports?
    Right now, I don’t think so. I like Beach Volleyball, I like ping pong, but not like Volleyball.

Did you play other sports?
    I played basketball in my school and even at the beginning of university. My father was a soccer player so I was playing soccer from my childhood but one day he told me that soccer is not my kind of sport. Yes, too tall, too long legs. He saw that I would not be a good soccer player.

Could you tell me more about your career?
    First, like a usual guy in Russia, I was playing in a sports school, championships of Moscow for my age, going, going, going and going and I didn’t know whether I will play professionally or not. After school, and maybe in the last years of my school, I entered my first professional team. I was very lucky, the coach was Radin, I think one of the most famous and one of the best coaches in Russia.

What is the name of your first club?
    The name is very difficult, it’s MGFSO. But we played in a second league, after that in the first league and after that in the high league, and only after did I come to the Super League.

Could you compare the old Soviet Union and modern Russian Volleyball?
    Yeah I can compare. You know, I think I am the modern generation of sportsman, of Volleyball player. But I know something about the last generation of Volleyball players. Now it is more professional, we earn good money with Volleyball. Before in the Soviet Union, players did not have an opportunity to earn money. So they played for their country but as far as I heard there was a lot of drinking and some maybe not professional behaviour. But anyway, the Soviet Union was one of the strongest teams in the world.

Did you have the opportunity to meet the old players?
    Yeah, personally I don’t have friends from that group of players because it’s a different generation but yeah, I know some players (who are) maybe not so old. For example, (Rouslan) Olikhver, he was playing in the Soviet Union. You know this player, he was very good. And before then, I didn’t have an opportunity to meet (anyone).

Is there anything you don’t like in Russia?
    I don’t believe that we have a democracy in Russia. Nowadays. I don’t like this, pretty much.

Have you played abroad?
    Yes, I played in Japan. Only in Japan. I think the Japanese League, now the level is lower than in Russia and Italy. But at that time, when I left the Russian championship it was not so strong, I went to Japan, I won two gold medals and I really enjoyed playing there.

You speak very good English.
    From my school years I was studying with an individual teacher, for many years.

You have a daughter.
    She is very young. On the 24th November (2007) she will be three months. Yes, she was born on 24th August.

Who is your favourite player?
    I was never a big fan of some player but when I was playing in the junior Russian team we used to watch videos of the Italian championship and I saw an outside hitter, Samuele Papi playing, Lorenzo Barnardi, Andrea Giani (all Italian) … maybe I liked Papi more.

Which is the most important victory of your career?
    I think it is the gold medal of the World League 2002 for the Russian team.

The Russian team is wasting opportunities at the moment. Do you agree?
    Yes, I agree. We are trying to change something. The team is trying to find the right coach, something else, but I think this is not about the coach, but about us. So, all we have to do is work hard, then we have a chance to win.

Russian players seem to play without emotion.
    Russians are Russians. We have a special mentality and a special climate, you know all this, and sometimes we play without passion. But I believe that we cannot play good without passion. Maybe some players can, maybe (Semen) Poltavskiy can because he is this kind of guy, but for me it is difficult to play without passion. So, when there are no people watching the match it is always difficult to play, but with people it is always possible to show your passion, to enjoy the game and to play good and to show good play.

What is your worst defeat?
    I remember I was very disappointed when we lost 3-2 in the World Championships 2002, but after that I became stronger and when we lost with Poland in the last World Championships (2006) and with Italy before in 2005 in the European Championship, yeah, I was disappointed, it’s always disappointing when you lose, in the Final, 3-2 especially, but I try not to take it to heart and go on and improve.

What are the best skills your team possesses?
    Serve and spiking, everyone knows that, and blocking.

… but …
    It’s impossible to win any competition without a good defence, for example, but as far as I understand we are continuing to serve better and spike better and block better but right now I think we don’t pay enough attention to defence.

Do you have any dreams?
    My dream is to get as many gold medals as I can for the national team and in the Russian championship. Maybe I will go to the Italian championship and my goal is to take the gold.

How do you spend your spare time away from Volleyball?
    With my wife and my daughter, almost all the time, because it is the biggest part of my heart. Volleyball takes up most of may time but my biggest feeling is for my family.

Do you have any hobbies?
    Yes, I am very fond of music. I am always listening to music and at my place I’m trying to set up a high quality stereo system.

Who is your favourite singer?
    It always changes and it depends where I am listening to the music. In my apartment in Moscow almost all the time it is classical music because right now we have a baby, so it is classical and jazz. Now I have become a fan of New Run, a punk rock group, so now I am listening to that.

to watch the full video interview click here:

source: fivb.org