German star Stefan Hubner quits his international career

• Stefan Hübner, one of the world's best middle blockers, has retired from the German Men's National Team to focus on his club career and other pursuits in life.

His retirement is a major setback to the National Team as it gears up for the World Championship qualification tournament in Tampere, Finland (August 7-9) and the final round of the European Championship in Izmir, Turkey (September 3-13).

In explaining his decision to call an end to his international career, the 34-year-old said "my body often showed me limits which I've mostly overcome with much power, energy and persistence. But now, I don't have that kind of energy anymore, or I need it for other parts of my life that have gotten a raw deal in the past."

Hübner's last cap for Germany was at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, which he claims was a highlight of his career. The outstanding Volleyball player, born in Bielefeld, Germany, played a total of 224 matches for the German team, took part in two European Championships (1997 and 2007), one World Championship (2006) and the Beijing Olympics.

Countless injuries, which forced him to retire from indoor volleyball in 2005, kept him from participating in other big events. Among others, he suffered from a fatigue break of both shinbones, followed by problems with his knee and Achilles tendon, plus a herniated disc. The 2-meter-tall Hübner is currently on the sidelines due to knee disorders.

National team coach Raúl Lozano has resigned himself to the loss Hübner: "I regret that he came to this decision, but certainly I accept it. Of course, it was not easy for Stefan; he is not a person who makes a decision as important as this without fully considering all the circumstances. For me it is difficult to get by without Stefan Hübner, because he is one of the best middle blockers in the world. It is a pity not to have him in the team anymore."

DVV sport director Günter Hamel said: "We have to respect and accept Stefan's reasons. Stefan was a cornerstone of our national team. The federation is indebted to Stefan and hopes that we will see him in another position in Volleyball in the future."

Hübner recently passed an extraordinary trainer seminar for former Volleyball players of outstanding merit.

The four-time MVP will continue his club career, although exactly where that will be has yet to be decided. He has had scores of offers from Italy and Russia, and will sift through them all before making a decision.

In summing up his career with the German Volleyball Federation, Hübner said: "I want to thank everybody who accompanied and supported me over the years and everybody who made this period a wonderful time with all those memorable moments. As a last memory, I will keep in mind the Olympic Games in Beijing ... I believe there is no better time to retire."

fivb.org