Bulgarian NT for 2011 season

• The news about hiring Radostin Stoychev as our head coach is not new, it was already announced months ago. The latest news, however, is that Stoychev himself would miss the start of the preparation program of the NT if Trentino reach the final play-off in the Italian league. So, of course, would Kaziyski, Sokolov and Valentin Bratoev as well. The federation is negotiating friendlies against Cuba and Serbia, when the dates are announced and the opponents are confirmed they will publish them.

Some news about the team. Most of the potential national players, including those ignored by Prandi, are called up and will be given a chance. This includes names like Boyan Yordanov and Danail Milushev. The captain of the NT Vladimir Nikolov will undergo a shoulder intervention after the end of the season in Italy and will, thus, miss most of the games in the World League. He is said to be ready and training before the Euro champ. His absence leaves the opposite position available to names like Yordanov, Milushev, Tsvetan Sokolov or Nikolay Uchikov.

The first decision Stoychev made as a head coach, apart from changing some names in the staff, is to replace the jersey producing company and sponsor of the NT Asics with the Italian company Errea. I don't know why the jerseys are such a big deal, but we know that Errea produces the kits of his Trentino.

• it would be very exciting to see Boby Yordanov back in the team :heart:

He is amazing and is doing very well with Zhekov, since they are very close freinds. Also Boby prove to be a great fighter, he never gives up and this lefty hand :dance6:

• Yeah oh no, nikolov is having surgery done... now Bulgaria only has 24 world class opposites :P I wish Holland could lend one of your opposites, we could really use one.

• I give you Milushev for Kooistra :drink:

• I give you Milushev for Kooistra :drink:

:p hehe. It probably would make both teams better though, since Holland has enough good middle blockers (Lorsheijd, Vlam, Bontje, etc) and Bulgaria has enough opposites.

• To enlist the 25-men roster that's been linked already:

Setters

Andrey Zhekov (Galatasaray, Turkey)
    Konstantin Mitev (Pirin Balkanstroy)
    Georgi Bratoev (Tyumen, Russia)
    Borislav Georgiev (Levski Volley)

Opposites

Vladimir Nikolov (Bre Banca Lannutti Cuneo, Italy)
    Tsvetan Sokolov (Itas Diatec Trentino, Italy)
    Boyan Yordanov (Panathinaikos, Greece)
    Nikolay Uchikov (Phyto Performance Padova, Italy)
    Danail Milushev (BCC-NEP Castellana Grotte, Italy)

Attackers

Matey Kaziyski (Itas Diatec Trentino, Italy)
    Todor Aleksiev (Istanbul Buyuksehir Belediyesi, Turkey)
    Valentin Bratoev (Itas Diatec Trentino, Italy)
    Nikolay Penchev (Pirin Balkanstroy)
    Miroslav Gradinarov (CSS Sfax, Tunisia)
    Metodi Ananiev (Tonno Callipo Vibo Valentia, Italy)
    Todor Valchev (Marek Union-Ivkoni)

Middle-blockers

Viktor Yosifov (M. Roma Volley, Italy)
    Nikolay Nikolov (Tonno Callipo Vibo Valentia, Italy)
    Hristo Tsvetanov (Lokomotiv-Izumrud, Russia)
    Teodor Todorov (CSKA)
    Kostadin Gadzhanov (Pirin Balkanstroy)
    Svetoslav Gotsev (Pirin Balkanstroy)

Liberos

Teodor Salparov (CSKA)
    Vladislav Ivanov (Levski Volley)
    Martin Bozhilov (Marek Union-Ivkoni)

• The only question which probably arises after seeing the roster is why Todor Skrimov from Paris Volley was not given a chance. He might lack significant height, but he's been carrying Paris all by himself so far in the season, so we wanted to see him in the NT at least for a while. I hope we don't repeat the stories with Hristo Zlatanov, Bojidar Slavev, etc.

• The only question which probably arises after seeing the roster is why Todor Skrimov from Paris Volley was not given a chance. He might lack significant height, but he's been carrying Paris all by himself so far in the season, so we wanted to see him in the NT at least for a while. I hope we don't repeat the stories with Hristo Zlatanov, Bojidar Slavev, etc.

Bojidar Slavev was a different case. he was raised in France, had French nationality, he learnt to play VB in France, and attended the CNVB (VB National Center). I don't know if he chooses to play for France because he felt more French than Bulgarian or if it was logical to play for France since most of his teammates in CNVB were youth or junior french NT members.
    Skrimov has a different story. First he does not have French citizenship. He was not raised here either, but you can say that somehow he chooses to make his first pro steps in France, assuming that he would be given more chance to play here.(In an interview with Le Parisien in December, he said: "In Bulgaria, if you're not 2 m tall, people don't even look at you")

I think it's a bit early to call him in NT. It's true that he's been helping Paris a lot this season. But he's still making a lot of errors and also get block quite a lot. I think his receiving stats are OK considering he had to play opposite for a lot of games, but it's still not the best part of his play and he has to keep improving. However, he his a great server which makes for below average blocking abilities. If he keeps improving in reception, I think it would be a shame that Stoychev don't have a look at him, but for now, not calling him is no big deal for me.

• Honestly, Skrimov would have had much more chances if he plays as an OH with a very good reception. (something we really need in NT)
    Playing as opposite and being not tall certanly doesn't help. He would not be called in French NT eighter, I guess, it is quite unusual to play this position when only 187 cm? If it was like 195 - 197 cm he surely would have chances, but in this case - I don't see how? ?(
    With the amount of opposites we have it is just not possible :S

Also blocking is an essential part of Bulgarian NT game and we've been focusing on this element quite a lot!

I don't think it is correct what Skrimov said about being at least 2m tall in Bulgaria. Martin Stoev was not tall eighter back then, but he was great and jumped high and was sucsesful in the NT.

• I consider Skrimov an OH, not an opposite. I know he's been playing as an opposite just because of the situation in the club. I wanted to see him called-up as a receiver, of course, he doesn't stand chances as an opposite. I agree with Armel that it's maybe too early, but it's just the first list of 25, not the final one with 14 players officially. Also, I know the situation with Slavev is, in fact, a bit different, but I just wanted to point out the outcome. There are other famous examples as well, like Todor Baev in Greece and so on, and I don't know how much Skrimov could possibly develop, but would be nice for him to be appreciated in case he does his job.

• How come it's too early to call Skrimov, and not to early to call Valchev, Georgiev or Bozhilov ?(

• Nope, his problem is he doesn't have a lifetime contract with a Bulgarian team.

• I thought he is playing as OH, and the American is the opposite. Don't forget that he trains in France and for sure has great defense

• I thought he is playing as OH, and the American is the opposite. Don't forget that he trains in France and for sure has great defense

He is an outside hitter, but has been mainly used as opposite this season because of Essddyq injury in Paris.
    Out of 24 games in french championship, he must have played 12 games as opposite, 9 games as OH, and must have been backup with few playtime for 3 games (especially in the begining of the season).

It's also true that he is a good defender even by french championship standards so he's probably better than many Bulgarian OH.

• It's also true that he is a good defender even by french championship standards so he's probably better than many Bulgarian OH.

Wow, if this is the case Stoychev surely has to give him a chance! We desperatly need a good defence in the NT :S

• Stoychev probably doesn't now about him, someone has to write him a letter

• Skrimov is playing his best season in France but I don't think he would be regular in any stronger team in France, not even in middle class teams like Rennes or Nantes. Paris was in very hard position after Essddyq so he got chance and grab it. Guy has good defense in field but in block he is ''hole'' due his height. His height is big minus in attack also. Only Skrimov advantage over other Bulgarian NT OH (except Kaziyski) is defense.

Guys can someone say something about Vulchev, Gadzhanov & Bozhilov :drink:

• Guys can someone say something about Vulchev, Gadzhanov & Bozhilov :drink:

Kostadin Gadzhanov is one of the best middle-blockers in our league. He's been a part of all formations of Pirin Balkanstroy in Razlog, 215 cm (according to volleyball.bg, not 100% sure of the height though), relatively consistent in his performance in the championship games ever since he started playing regularly. I think he totally deserves the call-up, even if he doesn't make it to the final list, he will grow up as a player (possibly not in terms of height :P ). The only thing he needs to learn as soon as possible is to be more confident, I am sure Stoychev is the coach to help him in this matter.

Todor Valchev is one of the highest scorers in the league. He is normally an OH, but this season has to play as an opposite because of the transfer of Mincho Minchev in Romania. He's not very tall, 193 cm, but already got used to being a leader and captain of Marek Union-Ivkoni, so I also believe he deserves his first appearance with the NT and will gain a lot from taking part in the NT summer preparation. I remember his first steps were alongside Tsvetan Sokolov in Marek some years ago, so you can be sure he is talented.

Martin Bozhilov is surely a surprise. I haven't watched him that much, to be honest I don't have much info about him, he comes from one of the best youth formations in the country - the one of Slavia Sofia, was transfered this summer to Marek Union-Ivkoni. From the games I watched with his participation I didn't see anything so remarkable. I guess the team needed a 3rd libero and it's great that the chance is given to someone who is still young (22).