The Devil in the Caribbeans: Joel Despaigne

• voleybolunsesi.com

Joel Charles Despaigne was born in July 2, 1966 and raised in Santiago de Cuba. He spent much of his childhood on the ranch where his grandparents lived, helping them grow coffee and knuckle down with the life filled with domestic animals. When he was 12, he signed up for Escuela de Iniciacion Deportiva Escolar, a school for promising young athletes, where he discovered his passion for volleyball and the sport gave him back every second of his investments with grand achievements. By the time he was 14 years old, he had shown such an aptitude for the game that school officials moved him from Santiago to Havana to be elected for the junior national team.

Fred Sturm, the coach of the USA national team, comments on Despaigne’s adolescence in an interview: “I could see then that one day he was going to be the leader of that team; very aggressive, very fiery". Along with his commanding physique, Despaigne was known for his extraordinary jumping skills with 4.03-meter attacking and 3.84-meter blocking height which are merely two of the dozens of features of him that make him special. Thanks to smashing spikes, his power over the net and fear evoking posture across the net, he was nicknamed as “the devil” (El Diablo) by his teammates and fans.

Best volleyball player of 1989
    Despaigne was quickly promoted to the senior national Cuban team to help his team rise to the occasion and fight against the greatest powers of the time which were mainly Italy with Zorzi and Giani, the USA, the Soviet Union, Brazil and the Netherlands. Despaigne’s participation in the team had immediate effects. Cuba was the breakthrough team of 1989 World Cup held in Japan. Although volleyball circles were pinpointing Italy as the heavy favorites, nobody was expecting Despaigne to have such a blistering and sudden impact on the team. Resultantly, Cuba was the shocker of the 1989 World Cup with the gold medals hanging around the necks of Despaigne and his friends. Then came a well-deserved acknowledgement to his success as he was named the best volleyball player of the year by FIVB.

Cuba’s success continued with the gold medal in the 1990 Central American and Caribbean Games, which was a nice preparation for the upcoming 1990 World Championships in Brazil. This time all eyes were on Cuba, on how they would perform and whether 1989 success was a coincidence or they had the stability and consistency to repeat the feat. The semi finalists were no surprise to the volleyball audience: Italy, Brazil, Cuba and the Soviet Union. Cuba overcame the USSR in four tight sets to set up a final with the Italians where they fell short at the end bowing down in four set and going back home with the silver. When asked about Despaigne in the 1990 World Championship final, Karch Kiraly, the most complete volleyball player anyone has ever seen, recalls: "I watched Despaigne’s teammates set him eight times in a row at match point. He put every one of those balls down. Italy wound up winning 16-14, but not because of Despaigne”

Olympic Gold: A Dream in the Horizon
    As the Olympic cycle leading to Barcelona 1992 was looming, Cuba was still shown in full contention for the biggest glory despite the overwhelming power of Italy. With the addition of gold medal from 1991 Pan American Games, it was about time to meet the sky blue legends once again – this time in the World League. The final had the same inscription and, sadly for Despaigne and Co., the same result. Italy managed to prevail in three close sets in the final once again establishing their dominance on a mental level as well. With no Italy in the 1991 World Cup, Cuba’s route was viewed wide open. Yet, it was the USSR led by Dimitri Fomin leaving Cuba as the runner-up once again.

1992 Barcelona Olympics were the most important dream for the Cuban team. Their goal was to win every tournament they signed up for but Olympics were the ultimate goal as for every other national teams and athletes. In an interview with Sports Illustrated in 1992 summer, Despaigne talked about his belief in the contribution of his experience to his team: "I was a very restless kid in the past. I always wanted to be doing something. I was always working on something, always moving. It’s different now. The experience of the years has calmed me down." He also hints at how he prepares differently for the Barcelona showdown: "In every training session I concentrate on power, running and hitting velocity. I must try to increase the difficulty and do it better, develop my explosiveness and speed."

• Farewell to Cuban jersey
    1992 World League was considered as a perfect test for the Olympic battle as each team would go up against their eternal rivals in packed houses. In the semis, the USA and Netherlands joined Cuba and Italy. Although Cuba managed to overcome the Dutch threat in the semis, Italians were the jubilant side at the end of the final again. When the Olympic excitement kicked off in late summer, Cuba started off with a Brazil defeat in the pool stages, they managed to qualify to the quarters to meet the home crowd beneficiary Spain but they were no match to overpowered Cuban team. Italy was a complete disappointment in the Olympics and they were out before the semis. But Cuba had to dispatch the Dutch to battle for the ultimate glory in the final. The Netherlands were unstoppable and Cuba had to regroup at least to clinch the bronze but that was of no use as well. It was the Americans who stopped the Cuban run and Despaigne had to return home without a single medal.

Following the dismay of 1992 Olympics, Cuba started to lose gear in the top international arena. Their only major accomplishment in the Atlanta Olympics circle came in 1994 World League where they managed to beat Brazil in a five-setter in the semis and lost against the Italians once again in the final. The Atlanta Olympics were the last chance for Despaigne as there were rumors about his retirement from the senior national team following the Olympics. Cuba started with a Brazil defeat in the pool stages as in Barcelona and drew Russia in the quarter finals. Cuba played as if they raised white flag and said goodbye to their medal dream early in the quarters. Although Cuba struggled to regain their pride with a win over Bulgaria in the classification match, Brazil dispatched Despaigne and his teammates and sent Cuba home with the 6th rank. That was Despaigne’s last appearance in the Cuban jersey.

Rejected million dollar contracts
    In the meantime, Sisley Treviso, a prominent Italian volleyball club, offered him a contract that was rumored to reach a million dollar but Despaigne turned down the offer citing his commitment to his country and his belief in the non-existence of financial volleyball. He later played for Iraklis Thessaloniki in the Greek League in 1995 and in Catania, a Serie A2 team, in 1996 rejecting A1 offers once again. Following his injury in 1998, he stopped playing until his brief return to Roma Volley for 13 games to completely retire from volleyball at the end of the 2001-02 season. Joel Despaigne then continued his career in career indoor volleyball coaching except for a brief beach volleyball experience. He currently coaches team in Italian Series B2 teams and lives in Italy with his wife.

Joel Charles Despaigne, aka the Devil, was a true volleyball legend with an unforeseen aptitude for the game, natural talent for leadership, his ideals for his country and the game of volleyball. His choice to play in lower quality leagues for subsistence when he had a million contract designed for him still deserves true admiration.

Fred Sturm, the coach of the U.S. team, spoke of Despaigne just before the 1992 Barcelona Olympics: "It’s good to have a volleyball player with a vertical jump like Michael Jordan’s and an arm as live as Nolan Ryan’s. (a legendary baseball player)".

You can watch videos of Joel Despaigne via the following links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGUn41k37o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKWCxxSnAs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfIUyt5QjrQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laBc9EChgsg

Source: Voleybolunsesi.com

• voleybolunsesi.com

Along with his commanding physique, Despaigne was known for his extraordinary jumping skills with 4.03-meter attacking and 3.84-meter blocking height which are merely two of the dozens of features of him that make him special

Any proof about that?

• Any proof about that?

For a 1,91m tall player, I agree this is really doubtful!

On the videos, he's not dominating that much, and I doubt he's touching a ball higher than 3,60m.

• I think they mixed data with another Cuban ahtlete, who actually had such spike and was 203 cm, I forgot his name, was something like Carbonna/Cardonna?