Lubo Ganev reveals new funny things about his career and life in his latest interview

• Today a new interview with the legend Lubo Ganev came out in the newspapers in Bulgaria. Bulgarian users can read it here - http://volleyball.sportal.bg/news.php?news=335697

and for others I will try to translate the most interesting stuff which is related to volleyball:

Lubo, I hope I won't make a bad first impression, but I think you're a bit overweight. What such a big man like you eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner and in what dosages?

For several years I remain at 165 kilogrammes, very well spread as I often say. I neither have breakfast, nor lunch, but I insist on the dinner. You probably won't believe me when you look at me, but it's a fact. I eat everything without green spices. I eat a lot of meat, potatoes, I like the table to be full. I order a huge amount of meals when I go to the restaurant - from the first to the fourth page.

Have you ever taken a diet ?

I met Dr. Emilova one day and she told me: "Mr. Ganev, you should start visiting me". And I said to her: "Oh, no, Dr. Emilova, I can't, because If I do, I'll eat all the apples and there won't be any for the others". I have one funny case - in Italy I was visiting a dietologist who had to make my diet and I, like a typical Bulgarian, like to eat a lot of fried food, greesy food, hot food etc. And I order something and he is like: "No, not french fries" or "No, don't put olive oil or any other oil - it's not a good food." I tried to follow his diet because my coach ordered me to do so and it turned out that I've actually put tp 4 kg more from this diet. That was my first and last attempt to follow any diet. CSKA's coach Ivan Seferinov told me once when I was 110 kg: "You must lose 10 kg of weight or else you won't play"! And I said to him: "You'd better buy yourself two 50 kg guys to play, why are you harrassing me?"
    I must say that throughout my entire career, it was untill I was 35 years old, I've never had a single injury - no knee hurting, no back pains, no wrist, no elbow, shoulder... With this height and weight of mine... Because I hate do run and I had to do that in the camps in Belmeken, I've made an oath to myself when I finish my career I won't run even if it is to catch the bus. I don't like walking, I go everywhere with my car.

You're 210 cm tall, I bet your parents are tall, too?

Yes, my father was 193 cm. My mother was also tall. The neighbour is tall, too. Even when my son was born, I told to his mother: "If he is shorter than 1 metre then he is not from me!" Both of my sons are tall as well.

Did you "catch" the big money from volleyball?

I could say that I've won a lot of money from volleyball - several million dollars.
    For example, in the 90s I earned about 300 000 dollars per season. For me, "my" money are those that I've already spent. The problem is that I have one very bad quality - I always spend more than I earn, But that stimulates me to earn more.

You've got an 18 year old record which was beaten recently...

Yes, that was a record which was made in a 4-5 set match. I took a bet with the president of my club and he said: "To make 5 aces for you is normal, but for every point after the fifth you'll get from me extra 100 000 liretas". That was 50 euros of today. And we play with one of the best teams in Italy, so he tells me: "They are very strong, here it's an absurd to make even 5 points from serve. So let the money be 200 marks for every point." And I say to him in my mind: "You don't know with who are you taking a bet!". I've made 7 points in a single set and after every point I squatted in front of him. All the spectators, because they knew about the bet, were yelling: "Write him a cheque, write him a cheque". After the match the man came and paid - over 500 euros. Then my record was 11 points, I don't know why they've written it 10 points, I counted them, but whatever... I'm glad someone managed to beat the record - after all 18 years had passed. I'm sure that nobody can beat my other record - for the most attacks in a game - 75. I've never felt volleyball as a profession. I'll never forget my coach in Cuneo - Bruno Fontana saying: "Lubo, you're the happiest man I know. I come out, enjoy yourself playing volleyball and besides that we pay you a lot of money".