German NT 2013

• Can a federation bring 12 or 14 players to ECH?

• Jochen Schöps has a strained abdominal muscle. Thats why Simon Hirsch has been called to the team. According to the federation, Schoeps won't play in todays and tomorrows matches against Italy for "safety reasons". ;( I really hope that he will be able to play. That kind of injury can take a while to heal.....

• What is possible for the german team in this Euro?

For sure group D is not an easy task. Russia in first match seems to be a mission impossible. Bulgaria in second match is favourite as well, but stealing a point could be possible. Anyway, it will all come down on the match against the Czechs. I predict a do or die match and it will be the first time this season, that the team has to act under real pressure. We will see what happens. In a possible play off match the opponent will come from group B (Poland/Slovakia/France/Turkey). Hard to predict who becomes 2nd or third but Germany won't be favourite in any of these matches.

During World League, Heynen changed the german style a bid. Without Kromm and Grozer, the team has been less predictable and every attacker had to take more responsability in attacking. The new ones, especially Collin (MB) and Fromm (OH) did a pretty decent job and i guess they will be starters. Will it be enough to overcome a good team like Russia/Bulgaria/Poland/France playing with full force? Questionable but not impossible.

If we come to the oppsites, Grozer had some problems to get in shape after his world league break. Being healthy and in shape, he could be the one who makes the difference. But if Schoeps is healthy, i guess he will be starting opposite, as he played the whole world league and seems to have a better connection with Kampa.
    A possible line-up for the german team:

Setter: Kampa
    MB: Böhme/Collien
    OH: Kaliberda/Fromm
    Opp: Schöps
    L: Steuerwald

• Jochen going on ECH?

Yes, it seems so. But most probably, he will miss out first match against russia :white: . In below news Heynen says "i think, the match vs. Russia is too early for him".
    http://www.t-online.de/sport/i…rt-wohl-ohne-schoeps.html

• It is slowowly getting time for a new thread for 2014, but the latest infos i will still post here.

For Wch qualifiers, Germany will face Croatia, Estonia and Turkey.
    The schedule:
    03.01.2014: GER - CRO (15.30) / EST - TUR (18.30)
    04.01.2014: GER - EST (17.00) / CRO - TUR (20.00)
    05.01.2014: EST - CRO (14.00) / TUR - GER (17.00)

Latest news is, that Simon Tischer has an injury on his hand and has to take a break of about 6 weeks. Therefore he will miss this tournament. But anyway and with all due respect to the other teams: If they don't qualify from this group, they just don't deserve playing in Poland.......

http://www.t-online.de/sport/i…i-ohne-simon-tischer.html

• Vital Heynen just announced the list of 15 players who will take part in preparation camp for wch-qualifiers, starting on 20th December in Kienbaum:

Setter: Lukas Kampa (Modena/ITA), Sebastian Kühner (BR Volleys)
    MB: Marcus Böhme (Generali Haching), Tim Broshog (Moerser SC), Philipp Collin (Tours/FRA), Michael Andrei (St-Nazaire/FRA), Lukas Bauer
    (Sete/FRA)
    OH: Denis Kaliberda (Piacenca/ITA), Björn Höhne (TV Ingersoll Bühl), Sebastian Schwarz (Generali Haching), Christian Fromm (Castello
    Pallavolo/ITA)
    Opp: Jochen Schöps (Rzeszow/POL), Georg Grozer (Belgorod/RUS)
    Libero: Ferdinand Tille (Generali Haching), Markus Steuerwald (Paris/FRA)

Surprisingly he choses Kühner and not P. Steuerwald. I haven't followed Steuerwald's season in Italy, but to have a second setter, who usually doesn't play in the league, seems to be a bit risky to me.
    Max Günthör is missing as well, therefore Heynen invited Michael Andrei. To be honest, I haven't heard anything about this guy yet, but obvoiusly he plays a very good season in France. I would like to see Günthör very much, but he didn't wanted to play NT this year and now Heynen seems to be bit stubborn.

• Andrei is St.Nazaire captain and indeed playing great. I didn't know he is German

He was born in Romania and grew up in Düren. He played in Bundesliga for Düren and Gotha. He seems to be a late developer, and Heynen obviously likes giving chances to that kind of players.

Regarding Günthör it is said that he withdrew participation due to "private reasons" ?( .

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Andrei