Bulgarian NT 2015

• The wide list of players for the Olympic qualifier in Berlin in January:

Setters: Georgi Bratoev, Lyubomir Agontsev, Dobromir Dimitrov
    Opposites: Vladimir Nikolov, Tsvetan Sokolov, Nikolay Uchikov, Danail Milushev, Boyan Yordanov
    OHs: Nikolay Penchev, Todor Aleksiev, Todor Skrimov, Metodi Ananiev, Miroslav Gradinarov, Yani Georgiev
    MBs: Viktor Yosifov, Teodor Todorov, Nikolay Nikolov, Svetoslav Gotsev, Krasimir Georgiev
    Liberos: Teodor Salparov, Vladislav Ivanov, Martin Bozhilov

There are a few surprises in this list of 22 players, but it will eventually be reduced to 16, so the unusual or unexpected call-ups might not even appear on court on December 21, the first training day. Andrey Zhekov's ankle surgery has been successful, but the recovery is taking longer than anticipated and there is no chance for him to play in Berlin. As a matter of fact, he doesn't even have a club this campaign, so I even question his near future - whether he will soon retire or at least take part in the NT summer preparations. Tsvetan Sokolov finally appeared this weekend for Halkbank. However, I am not sure whether he played at all. He will not have been in shape until January, so I'd rather not waste the position next to Vlado Nikolov and use a more prepared opposite instead, like Uchikov. Milushev's games in Italy haven't been that great. Boyan Yordanov's presence in the list is a big question mark.

Metodi Ananiev returns to any NT list for the first time in some years. You should know that this isn't the best of Ananiev we are having these days. His reception is mediocre, but his attack percentage (CL and Romanian league with Tomis) is what has earned him the call-up. Stanislav Petkov is injured and won't play in Berlin. Yani Georgiev is a young prospect from CSKA Sofia, spent a few weeks in Trento with Stoychev when Trentino were lacking their main players due to the ECH. However, his time for the NT hasn't come yet. Skrimov is again showing great things and percents in Italy, he should be ready for the tournament in January, so this is some good news.

The rest is clear. Personally, I am disappointed by the absence of Ivan Kolev. One of the most consistent Bulgarian OHs since November. His numbers in Benfica seem great, although the Portuguese league might not be super challenging. He did great at the Challenge Cup as well, however. His style reminds of Ananiev's a lot and I guess we couldn't have both of them right now. Gradinarov is a Plamen's favourite, so I expect no surprises when it comes to choosing the 4 OHs.

• Metodi Ananiev returns to any NT list for the first time in some years. You should know that this isn't the best of Ananiev we are having these days. His reception is mediocre, but his attack percentage (CL and Romanian league with Tomis) is what has earned him the call-up.

This is so AWESOME. I'm dying to see Metodi in NT again! I may not be objective but... despite your words about his mediocre reception I still think he can be more useful than Gradinarov! Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game Tomis - Resovia and I missed watching Ananiev in this. Let's hope I will have another occasion :)

• Let me put the final roster for the qualifiers in Berlin here as well.

Setters: Georgi Bratoev, Lyubomir Agontsev
    Opposites: Vladimir Nikolov, Nikolay Uchikov
    OHs: Nikolay Penchev, Todor Skrimov, Metodi Ananiev, Miroslav Gradinarov
    MBs: Viktor Yosifov, Teodor Todorov, Nikolay Nikolov
    Liberos: Teodor Salparov, Vladislav Ivanov, Martin Bozhilov