German NT 2016

• Highest time to open a new thread. I haven't done yet, as i was still suffering from OQT trauma. It still hurts but it is time to face reality. :|

Reality for german NT right now consists of World League group 3, ECH qualification (thank you Vital, by the way :whistle: ), and a deep drop in world ranking due to missing OG and World League points. Furthermore it is still unclear who is going to be the new coach, we have Grozer ending his NT-career (temporarily?), an injured Schöps and a lot of players who are not really motivated to play this years NT season. This state is especially bitter, if you consider that generally, we are looking back to a very successful period for german male volleyball.....

First thing to do should be appointing a new coach. Vital Heynen will still be in charge for World League. I am not a big fan of this solution, probably Vital is neither...... 8)
    Hosting the final tournament in WL 3, however, looks like a good decision by the federation. Some players (Kampa, Kaliberda, Fromm, Schwarz) could take a longer break after club season and return for the final tournament. Qualifying for group2 would be very important for the future world ranking position.

I will write about possible new coaches and players later.......

• As I remember Grozer finished his NT career... You're right about this season, it's going to be tough for players from psyhological point of view. Heynen is leaving, it's unclear who is going to take over and missing OG. And Grozer's retirement is tough to swallow, new coach have to set up totally new tactics, especially in offensive aspect. Hirsch is totally opposite type of player, he isn't bomber like Gyorgy and OH's is going to get much important role then they used to have with Grozer in team.

3rd group could be tricky, Slovenia and Montenegro are dangerous teams, also Greece if Đurić is there.

• As I remember Grozer finished his NT career... You're right about this season, it's going to be tough for players from psyhological point of view. Heynen is leaving, it's unclear who is going to take over and missing OG. And Grozer's retirement is tough to swallow, new coach have to set up totally new tactics, especially in offensive aspect. Hirsch is totally opposite type of player, he isn't bomber like Gyorgy and OH's is going to get much important role then they used to have with Grozer in team.

Regarding Grozer, we will see what is happening towards WCH 2018. If Germany qualifies and if he is in shape and the team needs him, i guess he could be convinced for a comeback. But thats pure speculation, of course.

Talking about potential coaches, the most natural candidate would probably be Stefan Hübner (Lüneburg). He was Heynen's assistant and has done a very good job so far in Lüneburg. Another option could be Michael Warm (United Volleys) who is running an interesting project in Frankfurt. Some younger players which we might see in NT next year(s) are already in his team, e.g. Jan Zimmermann (S), Moritz Reichert (OH), Georg Escher (MB), Tobias Krick (MB).

Mark Lebedew (JW) would be on my personal wish list but surely becoming Germany's NT coach is not the most sexy and well paid job in the volleyball world at the moment. Lets see what will happen......

• Germany`s 21-roster for World League:

Setter: Lukas Kampa (Radom/POL), Sebastian Kühner (BR Volleys), Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys RM)

Op: Simon Hirsch (Latina/ITA), Daniel Malescha (TSV Herrsching)

OH: Denis Kaliberda, Christian Fromm (Perugia/ITA), Dirk Westphal (Nantes-Reze/FRA), Moritz Karlitzek, Tom Strohbach (TV Rottenburg), Moritz Reichert (United Volleys RM), Ruben Schott (BR Volleys), David Sossenheimer (TV Ingersoll Bühl)

MB: Marcus Böhme (Lubin/POL), Philipp Collin (Tours/FRA), Tim Broshog (Maaseik/BEL), Noah Baxpöhler (VSG Coburg/Grub),
    Tobias Krick (United Volleys RM)

Libero: Thilo Späth (VfB Friedrichshafen), Leonhard Tille (VSG Coburg/Grub), Julian Zenger (Volley YoungStars Friedrichshafen)

http://www.volleyball-verband.…b2cspnti6ufijlvrlcabjgmr0

• Roster for the first tournament in Mexico (Mexico, Montenegro, Spain, Germany):

Setter: Sebastian Kühner (BR Volleys), Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys RM)

Opposite: Daniel Malescha (VfB Friedrichshafen)

OH: Dirk Westphal (Nantes-Reze/FRA), Tom Strohbach (TV Rottenburg), Moritz Reichert (United Volleys RM), Ruben Schott (BR Volleys), David Sossenheimer (TV Ingersoll Bühl)

MB: Marcus Böhme (Lubin/POL), Tim Broshog (SWE Powervolleys Düren), Georg Klein (Antwerpen/BEL)

Libero: Leonhard Tille (VSG Coburg/Grub

Lukas Kampa, Christian Fromm and Philipp Collin will join the team on second tournament in Kasachstan (24-26th June), whereas Denys Kaliberda probably won't, as he has "physical problems".

I seriously wonder why Simon Hirsch is not on the list and is not even mentioned in the federation's report ?(

http://www.volleyball-verband.…qjmeuvs9kuugj4j1albvqfl36

• TimHH can you confirm that Kampa, Fromm ando Collin is with the team in Kazachstan ?

Kampa had to withdraw in last moment due to "illness". Fromm, Collin and Hirsch are with the team.So there are only 11 players travelling to Kazkhstan.

Roster
    Setter: Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys RM)
    Opposite: Simon Hirsch (Monza/ITA), Daniel Malescha (VfB Friedrichshafen)
    OH: Dirk Westphal (Nantes-Reze/FRA), Christian Fromm (Monza/ITA), Ruben Schott (BR Volleys)
    MB: Philipp Collin (Tours/FRA), Tim Broshog (SWD Powervolleys Düren), Georg Klein (Antwerpen/BEL)
    Libero: Leonhard Tille (VSG Coburg/Grub), Thilo Späth-Westerholt (VfB Friedrichshafen)

http://www.volleyball-verband.…9nu3r56op3h3cm7l1a4bs0if5

• This team can't even win in WL Group 3. I just watched the match against Chinese Taipeh and it was awful.
    The decision to withdraw from WL in 2015 is backfiring in a most horrible way. Last year the German federation was still basking about the bronze at WCH and then winning Gold at the European Games in Baku (where other nations send their B teams, but nobody wanted to talk about that). And now we see the results of it ... no Olympic Games and a losing season in WL Group 3. It is a shame. Somebody should take responsibility for that.

• This team can't even win in WL Group 3. I just watched the match against Chinese Taipeh and it was awful.
    The decision to withdraw from WL in 2015 is backfiring in a most horrible way. Last year the German federation was still basking about the bronze at WCH and then winning Gold at the European Games in Baku (where other nations send their B teams, but nobody wanted to talk about that). And now we see the results of it ... no Olympic Games and a losing season in WL Group 3. It is a shame. Somebody should take responsibility for that.

I do not agree with you. Today Germany NT played without Fromm, Hirsch and Collin. Germany NT will host final tournament in Frankfurt sa they dont need play at 100% in qualifying. Kampa, Bohme and Kaliberda will join the team in Frankfurt and i think it will be the best team in finall tournament.

• I do expect more from our "B team" than to loose against Group 3 teams in such an emotionless manner.

• I do expect more from our "B team" than to loose against Group 3 teams in such an emotionless manner.

It's a fact Germany will miss OG but you can't blame Heynen. True culprit for that iS FIVB and qualification system. I already commented that, Germany/Serbia/Bulgaria had only one chance make it to Rio while "powerhouses" like Chile, Tunisia, Mexico had 2, continental qualies and world qualies. Definitely it's not the same to face France, Russia, Poland, Serbia and Puerto Rico, USA and Canada or Colombia, Venezuela on other side. Just remember, Germany had match point vs Poland back in January. Moreover Schops was missing, Grozer came squeezed like a lemon from Korea and preparation time was limited.

Again people are discussing Heynen's ability without any reason. He is one of the best coaches in the world atm. Just remember what he did with Germany and where was Germany after sacking Lozano. 5th place in London, bronze medal on WCH are great results, I'm sure most of coaches would "kill" for that. OK, he had bad choices (last ECH) but in general he raised Germany on much higher level and your NT is one of the volley powerhouses.

His choice to save the most of key players from traveling around the world, first to Mexico then to Kazakhstan in just 4 days, shows he respects players and future coach. Don't forget Germany have ECH qualies in September, group isn't easy with Spain & Montenegro, so he didn't want to risk. IMO pragmatical decision... Just like to play on EG in Baku instead WL coz they won more ranking pts.

Regarding loss to Chinese Taipei, people are hugely underestimating them. The core of Taipei NT is made of players which were crowned as Asian club champions in 2014 beting teams like Al Arabi twice (with Camejo, Bravo and several Qatar NT player), Pavlodar. They r good team with unusual style of play and I don't remember when was last time or did players like Schott, Westphal, Malescha, Zimmerman or Klein faced team like Taipei at all. U can't just see who is playing against whom and talk who should win as lot of factors r determing winner.

Heynen is leaving well organised and deep squad for his successor. New coach should find a way to replace Grozer but Schops and Hirsch aren't bad OPPs but I think all German fans are going to "cry" for time under Heynen's guidance.

• Heynen is leaving well organised and deep squad for his successor.....

Well, i am not so sure about this point, especially when it comes to the "deep squad" but we will see. I agree though, that it is not Heynen who is to blame here....
    I will write a bit more later, when i have more time. Thanks for your impressions anyway :drink:

German roster for final tournament in Frankfurt:

Zuspiel: Lukas Kampa(Wegiel/POL), Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys RM)
    Diagonal: Simon Hirsch(Monza/ITA), Daniel Malescha (VfB Friedrichshafen)
    Außenangriff: Dirk Westphal (Nantes-Reze/FRA), Christian fromm(Monza/ITA), Ruben Schott (BR Volleys), Moritz Reichert (United Volleys RheinMain), David Sossenheimer (VfB Friedrichshafen)
    Mittelblock: Marcus Böhme (Lubin/POL), Phillip Collin(Tours/FRA), Tim Broshog(SWE Powervolleys Düren), Georg Klein (Antwerpen/BEL)
    Libero: Thilo Späth-Westerholt (VfB Friedrichshafen)

http://www.volleyball-verband.…jj70163f2u2r776tev0aldqa5

• By "deep squad" I mean a lot of young players Heynen introduced in A team. I don't see any team having such big number of youngsters in main roster as Germany has. Looking forward to your longer reply :drink:

• A good post that overlaps almost completely with my impression on Germany and Heynen's work in particular. I won't write about the points I agree with, let me briefly jump into the differences.

Germany is indeed one of the teams with most youngsters right now. Surely not the one with the most but certainly among the top of that chart. However, this new wave of players was more or less forced to enter battles in this formation. The reason - Germany doesn't really have a lot of players, with certainty not a deep squad and a lot of starters missing/resting/retired. Hence, Heynen had almost no choice but take on the challenge of introducing the youngsters. A lot of the other top teams gave rest to key players but they still have some middle-European/world level options with less court time who had been waiting for their chances. And exactly this layer between the starters and the new generation is called a deeper squad or a variety, if you will, and is what Germany doesn't actually have. Or not as much as other nations do. This sums up my opinion regarding German youngsters at the 2016 WL and the depth of their squad.

• Germany is indeed one of the teams with most youngsters right now. Surely not the one with the most but certainly among the top of that chart. However, this new wave of players was more or less forced to enter battles in this formation. The reason - Germany doesn't really have a lot of players, with certainty not a deep squad and a lot of starters missing/resting/retired.

I can agree with Yavor, especially on the bolded part. Federation and clubs have to take good care of younger generation now (Zimmermann, Reichert, Sossenheimer, Karlitzek and others) and help them to develop into players of decent international/professional level. They are surely not there yet and the format of division 3 and the way the team prepared, didn't really help.

The decision of playing EG in Baku and skipping World League does look much less clever now than a year ago. A calm year in division 2 would have been very helpful for the guys. Instead they have to fly around the globe and spend more time in the plane than on the court. This trip to Mexico and Kazakhstan and back to Germany within 10 days is as ridiculous as it can be and i did not expect much better results under these circumstances.

But generally speaking, i am quite optimistic that some of the guys have the the required talent for NT volleyball. What is worrying me more, is the lack of a plan, money and manpower within the federation. Both main sponsors will leave after this season and there are obvious problems to find a new coach (Heynen will probably still be in charge for ECH qualies). I am really suspicious who is prepared to do this job.....

It is really essential now to stop the downward spiral and to keep the NT attractive for the already established players. They are still needed to guide the younger ones.

• OK, lets say I agree about lacking depth (I don't :D)but you can't say Germany isn't produing young, talented players. In U20 team there is Bogachev, Krick and Binder, I remember setter Kocian... those guys need to play regulary and I'm sure they'll develop in a proper way :whistle:

Skipping WL was a good choice. 3rd division is right level for this young squad, despite traveling around the globe, as they would be "cannon meat" for the most NT's in 2nd division. They gathered some international experience against various teams. Don't forget Heynen gathered players just 28 days ago in Arnhem :)

Germans dont have a plan? It's impossible to imagine for me, can you explain it a bit? Lack of money? We are talking about NT, Germans are always care about national team and there are a lot of big companys from Munich to Kiel :D

Regarding new coach, I'm sure empty spot is going to attract big names, you need coach similar to Heynen which is going to give 120% for team. As I know Heynen is going to lead Belgium in ECH qualies as Baeyens is leaving after WL.

• First of all let me thank you for your input of positive energy . :thumbup: Probably i havent still overcome my OQT trauma :lol:

OK, lets say I agree about lacking depth (I don't :D)but you can't say Germany isn't produing young, talented players. In U20 team there is Bogachev, Krick and Binder, I remember setter Kocian... those guys need to play regulary and I'm sure they'll develop in a proper way :whistle:

Maybe thats the point where i can follow you most. There are talents for sure. But it will be important to bring them on a path to follow a professional career and not to lose most of them to semi-professionalism or pure amateurism. The appearance of United Volleys in Frankfurt and Heynen working in Friedrichshafen with some of the young players is actually a good sign. Probably still not enough but we will see.....

Skipping WL was a good choice. 3rd division is right level for this young squad, despite traveling around the globe, as they would be "cannon meat" for the most NT's in 2nd division. They gathered some international experience against various teams. Don't forget Heynen gathered players just 28 days ago in Arnhem :)

Still don't think so, especially in retroperspective. A proper preparation of a real team, consisting of some of the youngsters and some of the more experienced players playing in division 2 would have been the better choice and more benefitial than these improvised teams in Mexico and Kasachstan. And I don't think that such a team would have been "cannon fodder".

Furthermore, i don't see them winning against Slovenia, which will mean another year in division 3 and lack of points for world ranking. It will be tough too, to motivate players like Kampa, Fromm, Kaliberda or Böhme to play another year on that level again, so the team might get stuck at that level for a while.

Regarding new coach, I'm sure empty spot is going to attract big names, you need coach similar to Heynen which is going to give 120% for team. As I know Heynen is going to lead Belgium in ECH qualies as Baeyens is leaving after WL.

http://www.lr-online.de/sport/…estrainer;art3350,5490503

In this article Heynen is stating that his job in Belgium will start in January and that he might still coach the team at ECH qualies. But nothing is decided yet.

Germans dont have a plan? It's impossible to imagine for me, can you explain it a bit? Lack of money? We are talking about NT, Germans are always care about national team and there are a lot of big companys from Munich to Kiel :D

Well, it might surprise you, but yes, i think there is a lot of improvisation going on at the moment (and germans are not exactly reknown for their improvisational skills. 8) ) Recently, there were problems to find coaches for the youth NT and we saw a lot of temporary solutions. Furthermore, the handling of this years NT campaign let me assume the lack of broader plan as well.
    The lack of money of course is obvious, i told you about the leaving sponsors. Last year, there were also voices that areason for skipping WLwere mainly "money issues".
    Volleyball is very much at the end of the food chain regarding sponsorships. Missing the olympics and playing WL 3 doesn't help either.

But i am already in that pessimistic mode. Maybe evrything will develop better than i think now and the sun will soon shine again over german volleyball. :) :obey:

• http://www.lr-online.de/sport/…estrainer;art3350,5490503

In this article Heynen is stating that his job in Belgium will start in January and that he might still coach the team at ECH qualies. But nothing is decided yet.

It is still not confirmed by federation, but it seems quite certain now that Heynen will still be in charge for ECH qualies:
    http://volleyball.de/nc/news/d…enner-viele-fragezeichen/

Additionally, Sebastian Schwarz declared his official retirement from NT.

• Any news on preparations for ECH qualies in September? New DVV site is awful :aww:

During olympics they posted a video from trainings camp in Kienbaum on which i could spot Kaliberda and M. Steuerwald, but nothing official yet.....