Italy NT 2016

• Roster for World League 2016:

Setters: Simone Giannelli, Daniele Sottile e Riccardo Sbertoli.

Middle Blockers: Enrico Cester, Davide Candellaro, Emanuele Birarelli, Simone Buti, Matteo Piano e Simone Anzani.

Outside Hitters: Osmany Juantorena, Filippo Lanza, Oleg Antonov, Michele Fedrizzi, Iacopo Botto e Gabriele Maruotti.

Opposite Hitters: Ivan Zaytsev, Luca Vettori, Gabriele Nelli e Giulio Sabbi.

Libero: Massimo Colaci e Salvatore Rossini.

Source http://www.volleyball.it/notizie.asp?n=119491&l=0

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Glad to see Sbertoli in the list, but disappointed that Balaso isn't.

I already knew Baranowicz wouldn't have been on the list (Blengini didn't even contact him), but I still think it's a shame.

No big surprise with the MBs.

OH:
    - to my surprise, no Jacopo Massari (that's no fair imho, I think he earned a spot in the WL after the last summer)
    - Parodi had another knee surgery :(
    - Kovar isn't in the list: I was curious to see if Blengini would have called him; I thought three month could have been enough to find his shape again, but it seems they're not.
    I can't help but second guessing Lube medical work about this two guys... It is possible that they are both such unlucky? :(

Opp:
    Nelli was already training with the NT, so I was curious to see if Sabbi would have been called.

So, for the OG (list of 12 players) the choice for our forth OH is between: Fedrizzi, Botto, Maruotti, a second libero.
    Or also a third Opposite... But the last time we brought 3 opposites in a competition it didn't end very well xD

• Yeah, of course I'm more disappointed for Falaschi and Baranowicz; I think Travica career in the NT is over, but if he would have been able to stay in his place (as second setter), I would have probably preferred him to Sottile. At least he can block, and considering our MBs...

BTW, does somebody know if Falaschi had problem with the staff/team?

I read that when Italy was about to face Poland in the WC, he wrote that he was cheering for his Poland teammates, and imho that mean there is/was something wrong going on...

• Any update on Savani? Is he still in good shape? He is still considered one of the best captains Italy ever had

Since he has child at home, he gave up the NT career. They asked him to rejoin the team in Rio de Janeiro and he said no. He also said that after 3 years in China his shape is not enough to play in high level championships, like Serie A1.

• I missed your post scarpetta!
    Juantorena still has shoulder problems, that's why he was benched. He is better, in fact he played this week end, but often did a painful face after serving/spiking...

About the MBs, it seems now quite clear that unless physical problems/Injuries the MBs in Rio will be Piano, Buti and Bira.

About the 6 high-ball spikers, instead, it's difficult to say.

Juantorena, Zaytsev, Vettori, Lanza and Antonov are sure, imho (again, unless problems).
    But the 6th spot will be for Sabbi (that never played in this WL, and the last time weren't even in the 14 but we had 5 MBs!), Maruotti or may be Rossini for the back row (since Maruotti will be taken mostly for that, in case)?
    What do you think?

I'm a bit afraid that Blengini would't have the courage to change Vettori with Zaytsev (at the end of the set, obviously) if the first is underperforming during a match, so in that scenario we need Sabbi.
    On the other hand, he've never played so far (may be today is the right occasion, though), unlike Rossini (another candidate to play today) and Maruotti. So probably Blengini would't had the courage to change him with an underperforming Vettori anyway xD

About Maruotti, considering that he will hardly see the court in first line (even if for some reason Zaytsev will need to play as Opp), I think it could be better to have a second libero as 5th OH...

Of course a lot depend also on Lanza (that seems quite ok now) and especially Osmany condition!

• It's Italy's cycle: can't have 6 world class players at the same time, there must be a giant black hole on court. First it was the libero, then the setter, now the mb.

Speaking of the other players, I'm very happy to see Vettori no longer rotting on the bench and Antonov getting better and better as time goes. Not so sure about Cester but he's goodlooking at least.

• Italy roster for Rio 2012

Palleggiatori: Pasquale Sottile, Simone Giannelli

Centrali: Matteo Piano, Simone Buti, Emanuele Birarelli

Schiacciatori: Oleg Antonov, Osmany Juantorena, Filippo Lanza, Ivan Zaytsev, Luca Vettori

Libero: Massimo Colaci