Russian NT 2016

• Wide Russian roster for the 2016 World League.

Setters: Sergey Grankin, Igor Kobzar, Dmitriy Kovalev
    Opposites: Konstantin Bakun, Maxim Mikhaylov, Viktor Poletaev
    OHs: Yuri Berezhko, Dmitriy Volkov, Lukas Divis, Egor Klyuka, Alexander Markin, Sergey Tetyukhin, Taras Khtey
    MBs: Andrey Aschev, Dmitriy Muserskiy, Alexander Volkov, Artem Volvich, Alexander Gutsalyuk
    Liberos: Roman Bragin, Alexey Verbov, Valentin Krotkov

One can't help but notice the presence of Lukas Divis, former Slovakian international, Taras Khtey, and Sasha Volkov. Has it been at least two years since Divis last played a competitive match for the Slovakian NT? WCH 2014 qualifiers maybe?

• Butko isn't in the NT anymore?

Only 1 player who played for another NT and here we have Divis :wavy: earlier we have some issues like that when Pavlov was in NT, then Butko was absent as well ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Has it been at least two years since Divis last played a competitive match for the Slovakian NT? WCH 2014 qualifiers maybe?

As far as I know the last time he played for the Slovak NT was in January 2014 and the mentioned WCH qualifiers.

Only 1 player who played for another NT and here we have Divis :wavy: earlier we have some issues like that when Pavlov was in NT, then Butko was absent as well ^^

This is only a wide roster and hence we've got not only Divis, but also Bakun who is a naturalized player as well (he played for the senior Ukrainian NT in 2009 and 2010). As Arman already wrote, Butko is absent due to an injury.

• This is only a wide roster and hence we've got not only Divis, but also Bakun who is a naturalized player as well (he played for the senior Ukrainian NT in 2009 and 2010). As Arman already wrote, Butko is absent due to an injury.

Thanks!

• He is in process to get south korean citizenship, so he can play again for a NT. :white:

But why? Cant he play for Russia?

• Now that Russia is out of the WL, they have a moth to figure out their Olympic Team. Poletaev made a good case for him self. Bakun is a monster but didnt get a lot of playing time. Volkov also improved his game and looks to be in better shape.

Now the problems
    1. Musersky is averaging 5-6 serving errors per game. That is unacceptable. There's even a game where in 1 set all his serves went out.. The whole team is so error prone on serve.
    2. 2nd setter. Most likely Kovalev will get the nod but he is just not on the same level as Grankin. If Russia is to experiment this where the position to look into.
    3. 2nd OH. Tetyukhin and Markin are good defensive players but not exactly terminators.
    4. Injuries. Berezho can be a good 2nd OH but unfortunately he is injured. Mikhaylov is a starter on this team so he better get in shape fast.
    5. 3rd MB. This is between Aschev and Volvich. Both useless players at times but Volvich had better games compared to Aschev.

My Team
    Setter: Grankin, Kobzar
    Opp: Mikhaylov, Poletaev,
    MB: Volkov, Musersky, Volvich
    OH: Klyuka, Tetyukhin, Markin, Berezkho
    Libero; Verbov

• Is Markin a defensive OH? His spikes seem to be remembered more, compared with his defense performance.

• My Team
    Setter: Grankin, Kobzar
    Opp: Mikhaylov, Poletaev,
    MB: Volkov, Musersky, Volvich
    OH: Klyuka, Tetyukhin, Markin, Berezkho
    Libero; Verbov

I think the team don't need to have all of Tetyukhin/Markin/Berezkho on the same team as i feel they play a similar role as 'defensive OH'. I will change Poletaev instead to OH position so we can bring Bakun, who can be a very good backup to Maxim. I would also swap out Volvich for one of the younger MBs (Vlasov) but I guess the coach is not too keen on taking an inexperienced MB.

My Team:

Setter: Grankin, Kovalev
    Opp: Mikhaylov, Bakun
    MB: Musersky, Volkov, Vlasov
    OH: Klyuka, Tetyukhin, Poletaev, Berezkho/Markin* depending who is not injured/ready to play
    Libero; Verbov

• My Team:

Setter: Grankin, Kovalev
    Opp: Mikhaylov, Bakun
    MB: Musersky, Volkov, Vlasov
    OH: Klyuka, Tetyukhin, Poletaev, Berezkho/Markin* depending who is not injured/ready to play
    Libero; Verbov

Lets see whether Alekno still pulls a rabbit out of the hat, but if he does, i highly doubt that it would be Poletaev as OH.

Furthermore isn't there one naturalized player too much in your line-up (Klyuka, bakun, Muserskiy), and whats the nature of mykhailovs injury exactly?

• 1. Muserskiy is clearly unwell, as for me. Doesn't use much of his body to spike, mostly palms the ball. Could be that he is just being cautious. Rather silly that, despite of his versatility, Dima has no decent float service. BTW, he was without the service back in 2012.

2. Kobzar can very much be the second setter. Kovalev is by far a better talent but very unclear is what he can give to the team, as it is. Kobzar can come off the bench and give a good shake to the team (see e.g. ChL semifinal). Kovalev and Kobzar are better blockers than Gran. My feeling is that Kovalev is there also because of Sasha Volkov whom he has played alongside for a season.

3. The team hasn't got a "workhorse" OH. Think about a replacement for Tetyukhin (who is unlikely to last throughout all the Olympics) - a stable server, good block/defender, OK blocker and a smart attacker. The candidates are Berezhko, Divis and Dima Volkov. Berezhko was a clear Alekno's choice here, he is reportedly recovered but without any competitive practice things are unclear. Divis was the best OH of the Superleague last season together with Rodichev (obviously if we consider the reception a factor) but he didn't impress within the NT. Also, many things are new for Lukas in Rus NT, he has never played with these setters before etc. Volkov may look too young for the OG. Of note, he wasn't the first choice even at the U'23 world championship last year. I think he tends to needlessly waste his emotions during the game but there's no doubt the chap has progressed a lot last season. My feeling is that, if Berezhko is not coming, we'll get Divis and Dima Volkov in Rio (which means there will be no Bakun). Markin looks very useful when playing alongside Berezhko and Grankin but his standalone value is unclear. Bakun is needed and will be missed if he is omitted from the squad. Poletaev is by far the best athlete in the team (definitely highest vertical jump) and he defends very well as he is quick but I don't know how good he is going to be off-the-bench. The suggestion to transfer him into the OH is smart and sound but don't forget he's a left-hander, i.e. there will be an issue with sets etc. Even the way he's being set at the moment (into two) is way far from perfection, what do we expect from sets into four? Viktor needs a lot of practice.

4. I think Mikhaylov will be fit for the games. In fact, this must have been the biggest concern of Alekno. Had there been an indication that Max would be unfit, we would have definitely been able to see more of Bakun during the WL. The fact that we saw Divis instead would suggest that Mikhaylov will be fit but rather Berezhko is a question.

5. I think 3rd MB is between Volkov and Volvich. In fact, I think Alekno would bring two out of Muserskiy-Volkov-Volvich trio to Rio. Ashev is the fastest blocker of the team and the only one who can work in defense.

I think the biggest concern of Alekno should be the condition of (1) Mikhaylov, (2) Verbov (3) Muserskiy and (4) Berezhko. Mikhaylov/Muserskiy/Berezhko as above and Verbov may need a backer as he had had two surgeries within last four years. The second issue that the NT will inevitably have is that they haven't played together much.

• OK, apparently Berezhko is definitely out with injury. I would then assume that Divis is in and so are Tetyukhin and Klyuka, which would mean Mikhaylov-Poletaev as opps. Looks complex as haven't played much together and feels like lots of debutantes. Curious what Alekno can invent in this case.

• Sad news, problems on all fronts for Alekno :white: I read on WoV that also Grankin has physical problems. What a mess.....

Is it just my personal impression that russian team/players are struggling more with physical problems than other nations' players? i am not sure about this but if true, it is maybe time to review physical education on youth, club and NT level?!