German NT 2017

• German Volleyball news outlet "Volleyball Magazin" is reporting that Andrea Giani is very close to signing a contract with the german federation and might be introduced the coming weekend at the german cup final. Christian Dünnes, currently still a player of United Volleys RheinMain, is said to become sports director.

On first view, that looks like a very decent solution. Giani's resumee as a player and his good run with the Slovenian team will ensure credibility with the players and hopefully will motivate all available players to fully dedicate to this years NT season.

But Giani has to deliver results immediately and there won't be much time for experiments and acclimatisation. Qualifying for WL group2 and WCH qualification will define midterm development of german male volleyball.
    Especially WCH qualification looks tricky, having France in the group. And assuming, they come in as second of the group there is a match with Heynen`s Belgium on the horizon :whistle: .

• Seems like reliable source as Giani had 2-year deal with Slovenian Federation. On other side Italian coach was on the last CL match in Ljubljana (ACH - SKRA) a week ago so he might be negotiating a new deal. I'm sure it's question of money, Slovenians surely can't match German offer...

Germany has a lot of potential in younger guys like Krick, Malescha, Sossenheimer, Schott etc. but I don't think they can win WL 3rd Group with youngsters since Estonia joined WL. As I saw Germans have good schedule in this summer, as they'll host one tournament in Frankfurt and 2nd will play in Linz, Austria. If Giani takes over I'm close to think he is going to summon the best possible team :whistle: He has done miracle with Slovenia and proved himself as a good coach

• German Volleyball news outlet "Volleyball Magazin" is reporting that Andrea Giani is very close to signing a contract with the german federation

It is official now. Giani is taking over :thumbup:
    http://volleyball.de/nc/news/d…wird-neuer-bundestrainer/

If Giani takes over I'm close to think he is going to summon the best possible team :whistle:

Everything else would be very stupid. He needs as much time as possible with the team to prepare for WCH qualification. A failure in World League and WCH qualification would put the team in the world ranking somewhere at the level of Trinidad and Tobago....

As i already said, this is not the time for experiments and Giani and the team have to adapt to each other very quickly......

• Big surprise: Georg Grozer is back in NT :super:

Giani talked to him and he agreed to help the team in WCHQ.

Good news :thumbup:

the (very) wide roster as announced by federation today:

Setter: Lukas Kampa (Wegiel/POL), Adam Kocian (SVG Lüneburg), Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys Rhein-Main)
    Op: Jochen Schöps (Rzeszow/POL), Georg Grozer (Schanghai/CHN), Daniel Malescha, Simon Hirsch (Monza/ITA)
    OH: Christian Fromm, Denys Kaliberda (Civitanova/ITA), Moritz Reichert (United Volleys), Moritz Karlitzek (TV Rottenburg), David Sossenheimer, Tom Strohbach, Ruben Schott (BR Volleys), Tim Stöhr (TV Ingersoll Bühl)
    MB: Michael Andrei, Tim Broshog (Düren), Tobias Krick, Marcus Böhme (Lubin/POL),Philipp Collin (Tours/FRA), Georg Klein, Jakob Günthör
    L: Markus Steuerwald, Julian Zenger (VfB Friedrichshafen), Ferdinand Tille (TSV Herrsching), Leonhard Tille (Waldviertel/AUT)

http://www.volleyball-verband.…chorsch----kehrt-zurueck/

• Giani assembled 18 players for the start of preparation for WCHQ:

Setter: Lukas Kampa (Wegiel/POL), Adam Kocian (SVG Lüneburg), Jan Zimmermann (United Volleys Rhein-Main)

Op: Jochen Schöps (Rzeszow/POL), Georg Grozer (Schanghai/CHN), Daniel Malescha (Friedrichshafen), Simon Hirsch (Monza/ITA)

OH: Christian Fromm (Monza), Denys Kaliberda (Civitanova/ITA), Moritz Reichert (United Volleys), Moritz Karlitzek (TV Rottenburg), David Sossenheimer (Friedrichshafen), Ruben Schott (BR Volleys), Tim Stöhr (TV Ingersoll Bühl), Tom Strohbach (Herrsching),

MB: Marcus Böhme (Lubin/POL), Philipp Collin (Tours/FRA), Jakob Günthör (Friedrichshafen), Michael Andrei, Tim Broshog (Düren), Tobias Krick, Georg Klein,

L: Markus Steuerwald, Leonhard Tille (Waldviertel/AUT), Julian Zenger (VfB Friedrichshafen), Ferdinand Tille (TSV Herrsching),

Some members of U21 team (Krick, Weber, Bogachev, Zenger) will occasionally join the team. I would expect that Tobias Krick still gets a call. Cutting almost all of the old guard MBs came a bit as a surprise......

• Giani assembled 18 players for the start of preparation for WCHQ:
    [...]Cutting almost all of the old guard MBs came a bit as a surprise......

All correct [b]TimHH, but there was no real "cut".
    It was mostly about personal issues of the players.
    And this is only the roster for the WCHQ. Ther are still World League and ECH to come.

• Tom Strohbach and Ferdinand Tille skip NT this summer to focus on their studies.

For Strohbach that will probably mean that he won't jump on the NT carussel anytime soon again (If he wants this at all). The other younger generation of OHs are pretty much improving and obviously show more desire to develop into players of international class. Giani should focus on them.....

• Giani selected 14 players for the start of preparation for WCHQ:

Setter: Lukas Kampa, Jan Zimmermann

Opp: Simon Hirsch, Daniel Malescha

MB: Marcus Böhme, Tobias Krick, Michael Andrei, Noah Baxpöhler

OH: Christian Fromm, Denys Kaliberda, Moritz Reichert, Ruben Schott, Egor Bogachev

L: Julian Zenger

There is no Grozer/Schöps, Collin and M. Steuerwald. Especially the lack of an experienced libero imo hits the team hard. Julian Zenger is a decent prospect but i doubt he will stand the heat of such a tournament. Block/defense and the general team cohesion and organisation was a big issue during World League and a player like Markus Steuerwald could have helped in this area.

So even if Kampa/Kaliberda will add some individual quality to the team compared to WL, i have serious doubts that this will be enough to win the tournament.

• I agree with your libero argument. Steuerwald or Tille will be missed greatly.

Without a dominating opposite like Grozer or Schöps the team won't win a single tournament. I doubt if Hirsch can be that kind of player. (Simon: time to prove me wrong)

The WCH without Germany, mark my words!

• The only way to recover from this is probably naturalization of some foreigner in time for Olympics if Germany can't pass the last WCH qualifier for europe.

Germany needs to fix the opposite problem. Hirsch doesn't seem strong enough to play the position imo. Maybe someone can ask a middle blocker to play that position for a while and see where it goes? Maybe Fromm too? After all I prefer outside hitters getting the role of opposites. who knows ot could come in handy when one of the OH is being targeted abandonedly by the servers.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• The only way to recover from this is probably naturalization of some foreigner in time for Olympics if Germany can't pass the last WCH qualifier for europe.

Germany needs to fix the opposite problem. Hirsch doesn't seem strong enough to play the position imo. Maybe someone can ask a middle blocker to play that position for a while and see where it goes? Maybe Fromm too? After all I prefer outside hitters getting the role of opposites. who knows ot could come in handy when one of the OH is being targeted abandonedly by the servers.

No need to talk about any phantom naturalizations. The only realistic case is the one of Salvador Hidalgo, who is waiting for his clearance for german NT for years now and it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Talking about Hirsch, he may not have the level of a prime Grozer/Schöps, but realistically, both guys haven't been in their prime lately and Hirsch clearly deserves a chance to show up. As an opposite, imho he is way above any random MB or OH of the current team, including Fromm.

As i said above, i think there are more urgent problems to solve for the team at the moment than the opposite position. Namely block/defence, libero and a better substitute setter for Kampa :whistle:

• As reported by the federation, Moritz Reichert (OH) and Egor Bogachev (OH) got injured during the team's trip to Finland and will both miss the ECH. So far so bad......

As replacements for the upcoming test on Saturday against Belgium, they announced Linus Weber (Op, U19 NT) and Ivan Batanov (L, U19 NT). Now this looks really strange. Both kids haven't played any match in Bundesliga yet and don't even play on the positions of the injured players !! Where is Karlitzek, Sossenheimer ?( . You can only hope that this is a kind of organisational problem.... :white:

http://www.volleyball-verband.…fuer-bogachev---reichert/