Italian NT 2017

• Here the list of the 21 for the World Legue.
    Missing from Rio: Juantorena (as known), Zaytsev (big surprise for me), Rossini (a pity but not a real surprise), Bira and Sottile (as predictable).
    Plus, no Kovar (I'm so sad about it ;( )
    I guess Buto is the captain. I wonder if that's the real reason he's in the list, as Bira I didn't expect him to play the WL.

Setters
    5 – Luca Spirito (Bunge Ravenna)
    6 – Simone Giannelli (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    21 – Riccardo Sbertoli (Revivre Milano)

Opposites
    4 – Luca Vettori (Azimut Modena)
    8 – Gabriele Nelli (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    18 – Giulio Sabbi (Exprivia Molfetta)

MB
    1 – Davide Candellaro (Cucine Lube Civitanova)
    9 – Daniele Mazzone (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    11 – Simone Buti (Sir Safety Conad Perugia)
    12 – Enrico Cester (Cucine Lube Civitanova)
    14 – Matteo Piano (Azimut Modena)
    19 – Fabio Ricci (Bunge Ravenna)

OH
    2 – Luigi Randazzo (Calzedonia Verona)
    10 – Filippo Lanza (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    15 – Michele Fedrizzi (Kioene Padova)
    16 – Oleg Antonov (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    17 – Iacopo Botto (Gi Group Monza)
    20 – Tiziano Mazzone (Diatec Trentino Volley)

Liberos
    3 – Nicola Pesaresi (Cucine Lube Civitanova)
    7 – Fabio Balaso (Kioene Padova)
    13 – Massimo Colaci (Diatec Trentino Volley).

I

• Explanation of Blengini
    Now I can't traslate it all, but the syntesis is that there are players that needed rest after playing without stops for several years, and that he choose the core of the team that will play the ECh but there will be few changes (Zaytsev for sure and I hope Kovar).
    Also few youngers will sometimes join the 21 in the list for training, like Argenta and Cavuto from A2.

http://www.volleyball.it/world…elte-stagione-a-due-step/

• I also expected to see many younger players in the list and I'm definitely happy about that (I even think that there could have been more!), but I have to admit that I also expected to see there almost all the player that will play the ECh (may be for the Italian pools and in case for the final 6).

About the setters, Spirito (1993) and (again) Sbertoli (1998) really deserved the call and I would have bet that the two of them were going to be the subs of Giannelli (hopefully not only the subs during the WL).
    I think that we can even go to the ECh with two of these three, I would be happy about that. I'm sorry for Baranowicz, but it's kinda clear that Blengini doesn't want him in the NT, so no surprise. About Sottile, I think his time with the NT it's over: it would be meaningless to start a new Olympic quadrennium with him as a second setter. I don't know, though, if may be Blengini thinks about calling him back for the ECh.

About the MBs, Ricci (1994) did very well this season, and I expected to have also Polo (1995) or Galassi (1998) among the MBs (while I was surprised to see Buto on the list). Also in this case, I don't know if Blengini thinks about calling Bira back for the ECh, but this time I wouldn't bet that he won't. For me it would be time to renew the MBs department, but I wouldn't blame Bira if he wants to stay in the NT until the WCCh 2018 at home.

About the liberos, imho Balaso (1995) HAS to be the second libero (with opportunities as first) not only during the WL, but also for the ECh, with the idea of making him first libero in one or may be two year (it would be alright to me if Colaci stays until the WCCh to help him).
    As I said, I'm very sorry for Rossini, but for me this season wasn't his best so I don't find it a bad call (even if sad). I don't think he will be back for the ECh, but again, who knows.

About the opposite, with exception of the question 'Zaytsev-role', the choices were perfectly predictable.
    Nelli (1993) was confirmed as last year and it was (and it is) well deserved. Probably he won't still be the second opposite and he won't be at the ECh since Sabbi did an amazing season, though.

About the OH.. well, that's what we've got, we have to deal with it. Unfortunately for the moment imho the younger players aren't at the level of the youngs in the other roles.
    So, this is the part were I expected a big differences: I honestly really hoped to see Kovar in the list.
    Now I'm afraid that he won't even play in the ECh because, ok, he is fragile and he need rest, but if the idea is to have him in the ECh... Are we sure that it's ok not to have him in the WL? He didn't have to play all the matches, btw... Plus, I think the last time it was his choice not to play with the NT, so who knows if he is actually interested... In that case, I'm sorry, he can stay home even if I love him as a player: the NT doesn't need people that don't want to stay there (as the 2014 WCCh teaches).
    Fedrizzi is a surprise too: he didn't play very well this season, and he's not that younger (1991, as Lanza or Vettori) to be a concrete prospective for the future, to deserve a 'second chance' like a Randazzo (1994). For example, Maruotti played quite well this season, I wouldn't mind to have him on the list. Or as alternative to them a very young player, like people from A2 (a name is Cavuto).
    Tiziano Mazzone (1995) is at his first call in the senior NT (but he played in all the NT junior teams and was also K of the juniores). He is still far to be a decent attacker in my opinion, but showed good attitude in other compartment (serve, reception, also block) and with the master Lorenzetti can improve a lot (if he stays in Trento, which I think he will for what I read). For me it was a right call to give him a chance: I don't think he will be in the main team for the next one-two years, but for the future it could be a possibility (also because there isn't a big competition in his role, unfortunately).

Last of all, I'll open the topic 'Zaytsev'.
    I do understand that he needs rest. He is not the only one, but it's a very long time that he spend every summer with the NT, longer than everyone else since he's there since the 2010 WCch and played all the competitions except the 2015 WL Final6, because he was sent home.
    Plus, there is enough time to train the team properly between the final6 of WL (that ends July the 8th) and the beginning of the ECh (August the 24th).
    Despite that, imho it was important to have him on the list for two main reasons: one technical, one not.
    Obviously I'm not saying he had to play every match!

First reason: what role will he play? Opposite or OH? That's a big decision for the NT, imho. If Kovar won't be there for the ECh the decision is obvious (and that– Zaytsev not being on the list – is another reason why I'm afraid Kovar may not show for the ECh either...).
    If Kovar will be there... It's not that obvious anymore, also because this Zaytsev overall for me isn't clearly superior to Lanza (if Lanza is playing well; a bad Lanza needs to be replaced right away most of the times). And can we risk to have Zaytsev on the bench as OH and not on court as opposite? Does it makes sense? All these questions needs time but especially MATCHES (and not just training) to be solve, for me (may be Blengini already has all the answer he needs, though).
    I can't avoid thinking that last year the WL saved us from having Zaytsev OH and the Olympic, and I think we all agree that having him as opposite was crucial to get to the final. And also Lanza playing very well until the final itself ;) Ok, the ECh is not the OG, but I would like to win it for a change...

Second reason: like it or not, he's our most famous and followed player at the moment.
    We will have an home pool of three days, we will even have the matches (I don't think alla of them, but for sure some of them) on Rai3 instead of Raisport (which is huge for the WL: if we're lucky we get that opportunities only for the final/semifinal of the major events – which never included the WL final6, for the record)... and the player that everyone with a slight interest in volleyball or sport can recognize isn't there.
    I do agree that the post-olympic year has to be also about renewing (and actually it's not Zaytsev case, since he will come back for sure), but we had such a big spot for volleyball after the OG that we must keep the interest of the new fans alive, we must maintain and coltivate this new wave of love for the NT that we gained the last summer.
    Ivan – willing or not willing (but I do believe he enjoys it!) – is the face of italian volleyball, and with the honor it comes the 'responsibility'... And this responsibility – that I think he usually takes on him – can't be filled only by going to famous TV shows or sponsoring Adidas or Redbull, imho. (all important things too, as it was important that Diouf went to Sanremo for example).

Last, about Juantorena, I'm sorry, but for me he still has to prove that he truly cares about the Italian NT and not only about the manifestations itself... (OG last year, WCh next year). But I do believe that he cares about his teammates, that I have to admit.

EDIT: OMG that came out really really long :lol: Sorry ^^

• During the first Scudetto match Colantoni & Lucchetta (RAI commentators) said that Kovar period in NT is propably over. His health is not good enough to play 12 months constantly so he is not called.
    Juantorena resting out this year is also predictable. He had a lot of episodes dealing with crumps on his legs during the league game. I remember one when he was so feeling so badly during the 4th set and tie break that my whole twitter was full of posts - Blengini stop joking bench him like now!
    Bira when I was talking with him during F6 in Cracov last year was considering retiring from NT so...

• The OH position needs serious development. I don't think anyone from that lineup besides Lanza seems ready for the world stage. Hope I'm wrong though.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I do agree actually. At the moment we are kinda covered in every role but there.*
    That was actually the reason Zaytsev agreed to play as OH for Perugia, knowing that Osmany staying in the NT was a question mark and considering it was hard to predict such a good recover by Kovar.

If Kovar won't come back for the ECh (sorry, but I would blame him a bit for it! We desperately need an OH like him!) Zaytsev will be the other OH with Lanza.
    If this will be the case, I hope the Zar will play better with the NT than with the club as he often did in the past year.

*[The MBs may not be that great, but they have a similar level so there's not a huge gap between the titulars and the rest, imho.]

• Among the OHs besides the ones we know much...who are you most impressed with,Kk15?

If you ask me...I like Fedrizzi and Botto, seems complete but lacking the height.

The Mazzone Lil Bro I don't have any idea. He's always on the bench to give me any impression. Maybe you know more about it since your're a Trentino fan.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• As far as I know Fedrizzi quite underperformed this season with Padova (I can't tell by my own since I haven't followed that team except for few matches), Botto it's ok as titular in the Italian Championship but I don't think he's actually good enough for the international level (obviously it depend also on the opponents).
    Maruotti this year played quite well for his standard, in fact several people were surprised he wasn't in the list, also considering he played the WL last year.

Mazzone is quite good in the second row and he's also a decent blocker and a good server for what I've seen, but I think for now he is very 'light' in attack. Still, he is the younger among the OH and he was the junior NT captain, so he make sense to me that he has been called with the senior NT having a big hole in his role.

• Kovar said he won't play the ECh, so now we have the official confirmation that he won't be back this summer.
    I guess Zaytsev will play as OH almost for sure, then. Blengini didn't answered the question, though :P

• The 18 athletes list.
    I'm sorry Nelli isn't there :(

Palleggiatori
    5 – Luca Spirito (Bunge Ravenna)
    6 – Simone Giannelli (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    21 – Riccardo Sbertoli (Revivre Milano)

Opposti
    4 – Luca Vettori (Azimut Modena)
    18 – Giulio Sabbi (Exprivia Molfetta)

Centrali
    1 – Davide Candellaro (Cucine Lube Civitanova)
    9 – Daniele Mazzone (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    11 – Simone Buti (Sir Safety Conad Perugia)
    14 – Matteo Piano (Azimut Modena)
    19 – Fabio Ricci (Bunge Ravenna)

Schiacciatori
    2 – Luigi Randazzo (Calzedonia Verona)
    10 – Filippo Lanza (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    16 – Oleg Antonov (Diatec Trentino Volley)
    17 – Iacopo Botto (Gi Group Monza)
    20 – Tiziano Mazzone (Diatec Trentino Volley)

Liberi
    3 – Nicola Pesaresi (Cucine Lube Civitanova)
    7 – Fabio Balaso (Kioene Padova)
    13 – Massimo Colaci (Diatec Trentino Volley).

Excluded: Nelli, Cester, Fedrizzi.

• Father Ivan is now undergoing a physical/medical check-up(I wish I was the one making the check-up :woohoo: ) for Euro Volley. I wonder what position he is taking. The lack of good OHs can probably derail his return to opposite and you don't want to take him out for the serve anyway so that means a double substitution can be much more useful since Spirito did well when he was called from the bench.

#FreeBritney

• I bet we won't see any 'double sostitution', unless the match isn't going in the right direction. For sure it won't be a regular substitution.
    Anyway, I didn't get how you arrived to 'double substitution' starting with 'he won't be taken out for the serve' O.o

Ps before the WL I though Zaytsev was going to play as OH, having Vettori and Sabbi as opp. Then I start thinking that may be is better to have Zaytsev as opposite and Botto(Antonov/Randazzo) as OH along with Lanza... Blengini will also have to evaluate how the intesa between Giannelli-Vettori and – in case – the 'new' intesa faster Giannelli-Zaytsev will work.

Pos his wife is pregnant again :D

• Something absurd is going on in the Italian Federation: Zaytsev may be sent home because he is using Adidas shoes (his personal sponsor) instead of Mizuno shoes (NT sponsor). And wants to keep using, as far as I understand from the news in Gazzetta.

• Something absurd is going on in the Italian Federation: Zaytsev may be sent home because he is using Adidas shoes (his personal sponsor) instead of Mizuno shoes (NT sponsor). And wants to keep using, as far as I understand from the news in Gazzetta.

He is a drama queen, that's why I don't like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6803AEdZW3c

He seems to life to be sponsored: just look at his instragram :thumbdown:

If there's a rule, you have to respect it. :wavy:
    Next time he should think twice before signing something. :whistle:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• For what is worth, he said he needs to use Adidas shoes for medical reason (I think Adidas made specific shoes for him).

It also seems that Mizuno offered to do personal shoes for him.

Apparently, at the moment if he won't agree to wear Mizuno he will be out. But this week end him and Cattaneo (FIPAV president) will meet to discuss it.

Anyway, this fuss in making more publicity to Mizuno that what they would have ever had for just being wear by the NT (included Zaytsev) xD

• I don't see the problem. It happens regularly both in clubs and in NTs that some players want to use different shoes than those of the official sponsor and the common agreement is that they do it but have to put tape over the brand sign of the shoe. No need to handle it any different for Zaytsev.