• Last year was a great success for the NT by introducing the young players, having a chance to get back to the final group of the world league, qualifying for the world championship 2018 and winning the european championship by integrating some of the young players with the veterans(a project started by Alekno in Rio.)

I was a little skeptical on the new coach but he wasn't that bad after all.

Considering we have a major tournament coming up, there are some questions yet to be answered.

Will Muserskiy ever come back? Is Poletaev capable of replacing Mikhailov as the main opposite? Who's going to be the setter of the future? What is your line-up for the VNL and World Championship? :wavy:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Russia needs to test Pankov, Kovalev and Kobzar for the VNL.

Grankin's level is getting worse each day that he had to be tested against the younger playmakers.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I think the Russian squad that participated last ECH is pretty close to ideal.

Will Muserskiy ever come back? => He can but IMO, Russia can be a top-tier, competitive team without him which was proven in ECH.

Is Poletaev capable of replacing Mikhailov as the main opposite? => Rains, of all people I think you should know lol As long as he remains healthy, Mikhailov will always be titular for Russia. I think a better question is who is the best candidate as Mikhailov's backup? Poleteav is first choice here.

I agree the young setters should be the ones playing for VNL.

My Russia Squad 2018 for VNL

OH: Volkov, Berezkho, Kliuka, Zhigalov (can be used as serving substitute)
    MB: Volvich, Kurkaev, Vlasov (or maybe Muserskiy can take his spot if he returns)
    OPP: Mikhaylov,/Poletaev (if Mikhaylov skips VNL, then Poletaev must take his chance to be first OPP), Poletaev/Kruglov
    S: Pankov, Kovalev
    L: the ones they used last ECH lol

Although not yet part of Men's Senior NT, Denis Bogdan (Best OS, FIVB U23) is a good prospect and will be a good replacement for an aging Berezkho.

• I like to add Romanas Shkulyavichus, Evgeniy Sivozhelez, Yaroslav Podlesnykh,Egor Feoktisov,Kirill Ursov, Igor Filippov and Sergey Antipkin.

I think Pankov would make a better substitute for the serve that negates the need for Zhigalov. He can also play opposite so with this player, Russia can probably play with a 6-2 formation if needed.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• Sergey Shliapnikov call 30 players:

S: Butko - Grankin - Kobzar - Kovalev - Pankov

OPP: Bakun - Kruglov - Mikhailov - Poletaev - Shkulyavichus

OH: Berezhko - Volkov - Karpukhov - Kljuka - Markin - Podlesnykh - Savin - Feoktistov

MB: Vlasov - Volvich - Kurkayev - Musersky - Safonov - Tavasiev - Filippov - Shcherbinin

L: Zelenkov - Kableshov - Martyniuk - Sokolov

http://www.volley.ru/news/17586/

• I like to add Romanas Shkulyavichus, Evgeniy Sivozhelez, Yaroslav Podlesnykh,Egor Feoktisov,Kirill Ursov, Igor Filippov and Sergey Antipkin.

I think Pankov would make a better substitute for the serve that negates the need for Zhigalov. He can also play opposite so with this player, Russia can probably play with a 6-2 formation if needed.

I haven't heard of this player Shkulyavichus, is he good? I didn't know that Kruglov was older than Maxim so this makes Poletaev claim as NT's second OPP stronger. Maybe Mikhaylov can skip VNL and the coach can try Poletaev and Shkulyavichus. Poletaev by the way also has a good serve, Zhigalov can say goodbye to the team :wavy:

• So it seems we have the same Russian roster for VNL Week 2. I wonder when will Poletaev be called to the team or if he will participate at all. Bakun is even older than Mikhaylov and Poleteav must be integrated to the team as much as possible if he were to be at least part of Tokyo 2020. With regards to middle blockers, If it were not for Muserskiy, this Russian team will not have an effective block as it seems Vlasov is slow and seems not to improve in this element. I hope the coach re-considers Kurkaev for WCH. Karpukhov is playing good, he seems a good candidate for a defensive OH and maybe a replacement for Volkov in the meantime.

Lastly, I wonder what Pankov's business doing there if he is injured? Should have called Kovalev instead at least they have another option aside from Kobzar.

• According to Dinamo Moscow's site, the wide roster for WCH was announced:
    http://vcdynamo.ru/novosti-i-s…na-chempionat-mira-64488/

OH: Berezhko, Markin, Volkov, Karpukhov, Kliuka, Podlesnykh, Rodichev, Ursov

OP: Kruglov, Bakun, Mikhaylov, Poletaev, Shkulyavichus

S: Grankin, Butko, Kobzar, Kovalev, Pankov

MB: Vlasov, Volvich, Kurkaev, Muserskiy, Tavasiev, Philippov

L: Verbov, Zelenkov, Kabeshov, Martynyuk, Sokolov

• Question for Russian fans: I just read that Yakovlev is moving to a club in Bulgaria. What exactly happened there? I remember him being a huge talent for Russia and going to Bulgaria seems odd. No room for him in any of the Russian clubs?

• Butko and Verbov will make this team even more dangerous than they already are

I thought Verbov already retired from NT? But I still think he is Russia's best libero at the moment just watch his games with Kazan. I think Butko and Kovalev should be the setters for WCH. Grankin can give way to the younger generation unless he wants a WCH medal to his resume :whistle:

• Question for Russian fans: I just read that Yakovlev is moving to a club in Bulgaria. What exactly happened there? I remember him being a huge talent for Russia and going to Bulgaria seems odd. No room for him in any of the Russian clubs?

I would also like to read from a native user how the chance to play in Bulgaria is being treated in Russia. However, as a Bulgarian and as someone who has an overview of the Bulgarian league, I can say that this seems like a nice opportunity for young, talented Russians to gain experience. Of course, it all started with Lokomotiv Novosibirsk's school and the Bulgarian connection there, with Plamen Konstantinov as the head coach of the senior team and Georgi Petrov of the junior, respectively. The Bulgarian league, although surely not among the strongest leagues in Europe, but still on a decent middle European level, and Montana in particular, a title contender and a European Cups participant, were a great chance for both the setter Abaev and the opposite Klets to gain their first steps in senior volleyball. The experience they gained there and the European Cups exposure surely helped them in their development. Both were obviously scouted, surely more than they would have been had they stayed in Novosibirsk's second/junior team, and now Abaev signed with Poitiers, whereas Klets moves to Haching. The culture is very similar to the Russian, the language is similar, you get to play regular volleyball, and there you are - with a full season as a starter and another contract in a better league. I don't think this is bad for their development and they can, if they find vacancies, of course, always return to Russia.

Hence, Dmitry Yakovlev's choice to join Neftochimik is not that weird. Neftochimik, however, have some strange ambitions and even stranger management, so I hope Yakovlev will withstand the pressure (to do well in the Champions League and then in Europe, when they get eliminated eventually in the last round by Chaumont, providing that they eliminate Vojvodina before that) and the expectations he will face there. And I hope he stays until the end of the season, unlike Oleksandr Statsenko last year who was only recruited for 2 months, I believe.

• So Russia had two friendly matches with Bulgaria NT as preparation for WCH. Among the players who played that were not in the Nations League were Butko, Grankin, Kurkaev. It will be interesting if the coach will cut either one of Grankin or Butko, especially after the good showing of Kovalev in VNL. Besides the setter, i think the only question mark is the 4th OH & MB positions. Here is my preferred roster for WCH:

OH: Kliuka, Volkov, Berezkho, Karpukhov

MB: Muserskiy, Volvich, Filippov, Kurkaev (Russia needs a good blocking MB and Kurkaev is way better than Vlasov in this element and probably tied with Muserskiy in blocking).

S: Butko, Kovalev (Butko as main setter, I think Grankin needs to give way to the younger generation and I'm not sure if his present state is better than Kovalev)

OPP: Mikhaylov, Poletaev (both tried and tested)

L: Kabeshov, Verbov

• I thought Fillipov got cut? I hope not. He's more serviceable than Vlasov. The latter's serve is just too weak. Standing float serve could probably be of better use for him than his jump float and he could probably avoid more injuries if truth be told.

@incognito Do you know if any polish tv will broadcast the Wagner Memorial matches?

#FreeBritney

• I thought Fillipov got cut? I hope not. He's more serviceable than Vlasov. The latter's serve is just too weak. Standing float serve could probably be of better use for him than his jump float and he could probably avoid more injuries if truth be told.

@incognito Do you know if any polish tv will broadcast the Wagner Memorial matches?

I'm not so sure Vlasov will get cut easily, he's the coach's baby all the way when he was at the youth team (same with Volkov, Poletaev) I think the coach has a soft spot for him. I agree Filipov has more use to the NT.

Re the Wagner Memorial, I admit this competition flew under my radar but I normally just watch live volleyball matches on livetv.sx hope that helps!

• Speaking of liberos, it looks like Kabeshov is not on the list, Sokolov didn't really impress me actually I think he was pretty average in VNL. I hope the coach reconsiders and either Kabeshov or Martinyukh gets the other Libero spot in WCH.

Rains - You're right it seems Filippov got cut he could have been a good serving sub

• I'm not so sure Vlasov will get cut easily, he's the coach's baby all the way when he was at the youth team (same with Volkov, Poletaev) I think the coach has a soft spot for him. I agree Filipov has more use to the NT.

Re the Wagner Memorial, I admit this competition flew under my radar but I normally just watch live volleyball matches on livetv.sx hope that helps!

Vlasov will probably take it then.

I like Ilia too... Almost like love and hate. :gone:

I understand their logic for making the cut.

They probably see Fillipov as a redundancy considering almost of Russia's player can pull off a strong jump serve and they see Vlasov as a Muserskiy-lite but could block and drill a ball effectively because of his jump.

What I just don't like about Russia is not having any proficient float server off the bench and that's Fillipov for me.

#FreeBritney

• I would be surprised if Poletaev makes the final roster for world championship. He's just not getting to that form he's known for in the russian superleague.

#FreeBritney