Italian NT 2018

• Expected Lineup:

Outside Hitter
    Juantorena
    Lanza(Only a titular if Juantorena is unavailable or if Zaytsev is not a receiver)
    Antonov(He is in better shape than Lanza)
    Randazzo(Good season but still questionable)
    ~Botto, Raffaelli(Reliable substitute),Maruotti

Middle Blocker
    Mazzonne(Best of the season imo)
    Anzani
    Piano
    Polo(I think he needs to build more muscles or is he just naturally lanky?)
    ~Ricci(massive upside,untapped potential) Galassi, Cester(Said he's going beach volley for the summer so we will see).

Setter
    Giannelli(worst season in ages but it's expected with Trento's badly constructed roster)
    Sbertoli(If healthy)
    Spirito(He's a weaker Giannelli with better hands)
    ~Travica,Baranowicz(If they like the bench role)

Opposite
    Zaytsev(a possible universal)
    Sabbi
    ~Nelli(Inconsitent but can serve as a blocker or server if it's his lucky night)
    Vettori :gone:
    Argenta(not quite the same after his injury and unknown connection with Giannelli)

Libero
    Colaci
    Rossini
    ~Balaso
    Pesaresi

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Previously, the Italian volleyball federation said that Cester would play beach volleyball with Carambula. But, carambula has already fill to play with Pasquale Gabriele in rest of major tournament in this season.

I think Carambula can't wait Cester anymore. He will miss a half of major tournament. That also mean he will miss World Championship next year.

• Simone Parodi retired from NT ?
    He is still a good/solid OH IMO.

• IMHO Cester and Anzani are the best italian middles this season. They shall be the starters on the NT. It doesn't make sense playing beach volley.

Daniele Mazzone outplayed Maxwell Holt in Modena and he played less matches. The only point where the american outplayed Mazzone is his serve.

In my opinion... Max Holt is better than Anzani and Cester so Mazzone is the best middle blocker of Italy this season. :drink:

I feel Alberto Polo had a much stronger season than Anzani and Cester but it's always different when you play for a big club.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• I think they should definitely have Polo on the roster. Also crazy how thin Italy is on outside hitters right now.

Well the problem is on both wings and the middle blocker. I think the outside hitter is not that bad with Zaytsev and Randazzo improving in their position. That adds a lot more depth.

The opposite is probably the worst position for Italy. After Zaytsev, you got Sabbi,Vettori,Nelli and Argenta and I still consider Fei being above those 4. :white: I was a little hopeful that Nelli and Argenta will be good at first when the season started but towards the end... I'm not sure anymore.

Middle Blocker is a problem in eternity that was normalized. None of those Italian MB would make it to the NT of other great volleyball nations as a starter except for France. That's just how regular they are. :gone:

I think Polo AKA Kylo Ren culd be great though. I'm just not sure if he could sustain his growth with his body type. He's quick though.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• Seriously? :white:

• Seriously? :white:

Well... how many italian opposites in Superlega are starters in their squads? It's a shortlist. Vettori would make the top 5 any day. :teach:

#FreeBritney

• There is no need for Vettori, when you just need 2 opposites and you have Zaytzev and Nelli (+ Sabbi and Argenta on the wide roster).

Seriously, the guy is having a nightmare season (there are even rumors about an year off or a retirement). People in Trentino cry every single game thinking about Nelli. The moment the estonian guy took the position over from him, the team started playing a way more consistent volley. Vettori is 26 and he's nowhere consistent yet.

• Simone Parodi retired from NT ?
    He is still a good/solid OH IMO.

There are matches he can be very excellent but I don't think he'll be consistent or healthy enough for the NT season. It's quite longer than before and I feel it is wise for Blengini to give the chance to younger players instead.

#FreeBritney

• Matteo Piano will undergo an achilles tendon operation. I expect him to miss the VNL or even World Championship. Lateral movement for sure will suffer. I hope Polo,Galassi and Ricci step up.

Get well soon, Teo. ;(

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• I wonder who will be the captain :whistle: :whistle: It will be seriously challenging choice.
    For me there are 3 choices; Lanza, Juantorena and Zaytsev.
    I think they will give it to Lanza but this will be disrespect to Juantorena and Zaytsev.
    Both Juantorena and Zaytsev choice will create great controversy because of different reasons.
    Maybe they will select Parodi just to give him captaincy :lol:
    Maybe Colaci ?

• volleyball.it

#FreeBritney

• Candellaro. :gone:

Parodi is back. I hope his condition holds atleast for this year.

Vettori is absent as expected by the whole world. I guess he'll be playing caretaker with Teo out as well. :gone:

#FreeBritney

• Vettori is absent as expected by the whole world. I guess he'll be playing caretaker with Teo out as well.

As a non-Italian, why exactly wasn't Vettori even called for the training camp roster? I would take Zaytsev, Sabbi, Nelli and maybe even Argenta above him as an opposite and obviously he had a garbage season in Trentino but he still seems more talented than several of the players chosen.

• Zorsi is a legend but he's such a drag. He should leave the problems of the new generation to the current managers. This is an entirely different universe with social media in your face every day that has no relation with his era except the volleyball.

#FreeBritney

• I completely missed this thread! I'm sorry I'm coming in so late, I realized I haven't spoken here about the NT when I came here to wrote about Vettori absence (Blengini explained why few days ago).

I had several surprise:

- Baranowicz is back. Hallelujah! I'm sorry for Spirito and especially Sbertoli (I prefer the latter), but I think we should go with Michele to the WCh. We need an expert back up (it's obvious that Blengini will use Giannelli as titular, unless he underperform, and probably also when he does :aww: )
    [Rains, do you really think Spirito has better hands than Giannelli? 8| Anyway I agree he had a bad season, but imho he usually played very well during the play offs]

- I didn't expected Diamantini (in case, Volpato), but I expected Polo and I'm very happy he was called; on the other hand I'm sorry for Galassi, but at least he is in the B team.

- my beloved Parodi is back as well :heart:
    I'm too partial about him, I'll say let's make him titular right away :lol:
    Raffaelli is a nice surprise as well.

- I wasn't expecting Rossini either, but then I learned about the 6 olympians rule and that make sense, with him it makes 7 of them. In this optic ('bring a useless olympics to the VNL!':P)I may have preferred Vettori...*

It was a surprise also the 'Team B', but I'm glad about it, since for many players there is a gap between U21/23 and the Senior NT. This could fill it. Well, they're mostly not that young/inexperienced players, but still.

*About Vettori, Blengini offered him to be in the list, saying he wasn't going to use him very much but that he would have gave him a chance to make it to the WCh. He refused. I usually don't like a refused call of the NT, but considering his season I do agree. I wonder if Piano absence influenced his choice (or better, how much it did influence his choice).

Blengini also said he will start with the Scudetto finalist, because they're already in shape and he doesn't want to lose that, while in the second part will find space people like Lanza (and the firsts will rest).

I wonder who will be the captain :whistle: :whistle: It will be seriously challenging choice.
    For me there are 3 choices; Lanza, Juantorena and Zaytsev.
    I think they will give it to Lanza but this will be disrespect to Juantorena and Zaytsev.
    Both Juantorena and Zaytsev choice will create great controversy because of different reasons.
    Maybe they will select Parodi just to give him captaincy :lol:
    Maybe Colaci ?

I wonder that as well, but with some different conclusion/start than you. I'll start with last summer titular players.

Lanza - he was the vice captain last year and imho he deserved that (if not even being captain), and he is used to be (proud) captain in Trento, but with this new team he won't be the main player at all, so I'm not very ok with him; still, I don't think he wouldn't deserve it (in case the opposite) neither that closing him would mean disrespect Zaytsev: I'm just doubtful he's the right person.

Giannelli - I'm obviously a fan, but he's way too young imho.

Piano – except for the fact that I find MBs captains logistically annoying (they stay out half of the team even when they're always titular), he would have been o good choice for me, even if of course he isn't the main player. Unfortunately he's out.

Colaci – He would be perfectly fine imho, but libero can't be captain (never got it, since MBs can't and liberos stays in court longer, usually)

All the rest – nonsense.

Then the two 'big' new entries:

Zaytsev - I think he is the veteran, and just for that he may deserved it, having fought many battles for Italy. I don't truly see him as a captain (like I don't see Ngapeth, for example, despite his greatness), but he is for sure one of the most experienced, representative and strong player in the team. On the other hand, he comes from the shoes gate, and there may be few tensions with other players. Overall, for me he is the right choice (with a doubt about Lanza) unless big internal problems.

Juantorena - As Zaytsev, he is for sure one of the most experienced and strong players in the team (and I'm glad he'll be there), but he is definitely not a veteran in the NT (one summer and half!), and overall, even being a representative player on itself (damn, one of the best OH of the world!), he's probably the less Italian-rapresentative: he said he would prefer to play with Cuba, he doesn't sing the Italian anthem, he chose to mind his own businesses last summer... I wouldn't feel represented by him, not at all.

Baranowicz has being out for too long and would make sense only if titular (same for Parodi), the other MBs and opposites are out of question for me.

• I think Spirito's reverse setting is better overall which what I mean with better hands but he lacks the fearlessness that Giannelli has and I find that as a stronger quality than that of Spirito despite his better precision.

#FreeBritney