why no one talks about the new ball

• interesting no one talks about the new ball
    the ball likes like any old balls, but new ones are made for better reception, arent people are worried that the new ball will make some changes that cant be forseen in the OG? ^^

• I dont think that a new ball will change so much in order of big surprises at the Olympic Games.
    Sure, it can help some teams maybe, but i dont think that its a big difference...
    Good teams will remain good

• I really like how current balls fly, wobbling from left to right, after the floating serve. Sometimes it's quite hard to predict, where you should put your hands to receive. If they eliminated such a behavior, it's nothing to be glad of. The games may become less spectacular. So, as for me, the only advantage of new ball is fresh design! :D

• yes, i can understand that good teams will always be good, but like what is said by light master, spectacular float serve like those by poland and italy will be gone

it seems float serve has just been more popular for a year and then the new ball forces float serves into disuse

• Unfortunately Italy, Poland and Japan will be the most damaged. This will force more players to use jump serves, with an increase of serve errors.

I wonder if Acosta really love this sport or he wants to damage it? I used to think he favoured some teams in the past with his decisions (like Japan). But with this new ball Japan will be damaged.

• but girls and guys, do you think lowering the pressure is a good idea?

this new use is really coming out in a haste, just months before the OG

japan is not much damaged by the use of new ball, but if the future new ball is lowered the pressure, then i dont think it is a good idea

• New Olympic Volleyball
    Mikasa claims that the volleyball has advanced aerodynamic engineering, which offers better stability and ball control than any other indoor ball. They say that the volleyball brings a brand new look and feel to the game and will be seen in action for the first time as the world’s best indoor volleyball athletes compete for gold at the Olympics this year.

Mikasa claims tests conducted in close cooperation with leading Volleyball National Teams throughout the world, resulted in the following key features of the new MVA balls:
    Balls fly more stable due dimple surface and reduced panels
    Increased grip due to new dimple technology cover material
    Increased visibility of the ball due to new panel-shape/design
    Reduced rebound of the new ball = increased controllability
    Reduced impact-power = increased softness of the new ball

devo's volleyball

• As far as I know, the original idea was to increase the length of the rallies!? Personally, I think the rallies are perfectly OK and there is absolutely no need to change the ball. I hope it does not influence the best team's performance in general. In fact, I will miss the old look of the Mikasa if FIVB decides to change it permanently!

• interesting design 8|
    The old one seemed better, it was like a symbol for the sport itself.... now its like changing the design of a tennisball :huh: totally weird...

The characteristics seem fine though. I just wonder if we spectators will notice any difference 8)

• I'm not good at physics at all. :lol: But as far as I understand, the ball will decrease speed and power and will increase stability of the ball.

I hope this will not undermine the performance of the teams.

And I don't think is good to use the ball at such an important event like the Olympics. They could introduce it after it. Imagine if the ball will create problems in playing at the Olympics? I hope that FIVB considered that!

• It looks like lollypop 8|

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• As far as I know, the original idea was to increase the length of the rallies!?

Yeah, I think so.

But will this new ball really increase the length of rallies ?
    If the defenders/receivers have better control of the ball, then the setters will have more easy pass to perform, and in the end the spikers will have an easier job!

We all know that the quickest points are scored by the teams with the best reception. (at least if they have a decent setter)
    And we all know that the shorter points are scored ... On serve errors. If receiving become easier, then the players will have to take more risks when serving or this will not change a lot of things. If they take more risks, they will make more mistakes, and so long for the rallies ...

• And I don't think is good to use the ball at such an important event like the Olympics. They could introduce it after it. Imagine if the ball will create problems in playing at the Olympics? I hope that FIVB considered that!

I think that FIVB and Mikasa definitely considered that Olympics was the best time to introduce the ball ... For marketing purposes ...

• It's said the new ball is heavier than the old ball.

I'm afriad it'll slow down the speed of ball.

And it's confused~

I don't know if the Europe country have adapted the new ball.

But it may have a great influence on China.

• I think China, Japan, other Asian teams, Italy, Serbia and Brazil will be affected negatively. Those teams play a quick game rather than slow.

Or the effects will be so minimal that nobody will be affected?

Because if the ball will dramatically decrease speed, then it will create a setback, rather than an evolution of volleyball.

• I think that FIVB and Mikasa definitely considered that Olympics was the best time to introduce the ball ... For marketing purposes ...

What if some NT cannot adjust the game to the new ball in time?

• I dont really think that the ball will be so much different...
    Just think about how often the ball changes in football.
    Even if the speed will be decreased i think it wont be so much noticable, cos its nearly impossible to change a ball that dramatically :roll:

We shouldnt get worried all too much about its performance... all im worried about is its look :lol:

• Volleyball is a little bit different than football.

Seeing how Italian teams are complaining about the change of ball for European competitions (they use a molten ball for national championship), a different ball surely can change some things.
    Now, is this ball so different ? That's not so sure, I wouldn't buy the commercial speech of Mikasa so quickly ! :whistle:

If it affects anything, I thinks this would be more in male than female VB, because everything goes quicker and details matter much more in the end.
    And if the rallies indeed go longer, a team like Russia will be in great trouble because after a successful dig they always look like they have absolutely no idea of what they are supposed to do with the ball ! :lol:

• I will miss the old Mikasa, but I can accept the new one. The thing that I don't like is that the new ball will appear for the first time on the OG and that's bad. I think that should happen after the OG in Beijing at all, not before that.

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................