Foreigner Limit

• Turkish League is 2+1

2 on the court + 1 on the bench

yes but teams can sign more. I believe they can sign upto 6 players.
    there is also a different limit for 2nd league level.

I know it sounds like a simple question, but Big Ren, you really need to be more specific.
    what is that you are really looking for?

Then there is a question for who is considered a foreigner.
    For Turkey, even having a turkish passport doesn't qualify you as turkish player.
    Sokolova had one for years and she is still considered a foreigner.

• In Italy is a mess because it is also related with the age of the players.

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Yes and sometimes it happens, for example VfB Suhl has only 1 German player and when she is on bench they play with 7 foreigners.

And they call it german league?

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• And they call it german league?

Most teams have far more German players than foreigners, Suhl is one of the very few exceptions, they consisted almost only of foreign players ever since they entered 1st league. In Germany there was never a need for a foreign player limit because most teams simply don't have enough money to buy many foreigners and many teams do good work on Junior level anyway so they develop their own players.

• VfB Friedrichshafen, the German men's champions, have only two Germans this year :) Markus Boehme and Thilo Spaeth.

I think you are allowed to take as many foreigners as you can afford in Bulgaria, don't know of restrictions about that, but clubs normally don't take more than 2-3 as they are way too expensive. Most of the clubs don't have the money to afford more, youngsters are cheaper and they need time to develop as well.

• Groucho,

In regards to just say a player from Sth America, Africa etc. coming to Europe or a league outside of its own to play. I know that there are many different restrictions across Europe and some not stated. For example in Sweden i think they have a foreigners + EU being different to locals.

So just getting an idea of what its like out there. I understand most the leagues and read that FIVB tried to bring in the policy of 3 internationals in like 2008/09 but never heard anything more.

• Groucho,

In regards to just say a player from Sth America, Africa etc. coming to Europe or a league outside of its own to play. I know that there are many different restrictions across Europe and some not stated. For example in Sweden i think they have a foreigners + EU being different to locals.

So just getting an idea of what its like out there. I understand most the leagues and read that FIVB tried to bring in the policy of 3 internationals in like 2008/09 but never heard anything more.

I missed this post.
    sorry to get back to you this late.

I understand what you ask for, but I still think this information is very superficial.

In Turkey teams can field two foreigners at the same time, there can be one more foreigner on the bench (to be substituted with a foreigner fielded).

As far as I know (people from those countries may correct me if I am wrong);

In Italy there supposed to be three Italians on the court at all times.

In Russia there can be 2 foreigner on the court at the same time. (Don't know how many foreigners they can sign or bench)

• ...Yes and sometimes it happens, for example VfB Suhl has only 1 German player and when she is on bench they play with 7 foreigners.
    Suhl is one of the very few exceptions, they consisted almost only of foreign players ever since they entered 1st league. In Germany there was never a need for a foreign player limit because most teams simply don't have enough money to buy many foreigners and many teams do good work on Junior level anyway so they develop their own players.

There is so much wrong in it...I don't know where to start. ;)

1.) Suhl has more than 1 "German" player this season. If you go by passport (and I think that's what counts) we had four german players an the field.
    2.) "consisted almost only of foreign players" ...first of all this is just not true. 21 german players in 8 years of 1st League. Plus a lot of players that are not more "foreign" than Angelina Grun or Maggie Kozuch.
    3.) If you want a certain level of performance, "german" players are more expensive than "foreign" players. So the connection you make between money and "foreigners" is not correct. The truth is far more complex.
    4.) Suhl does good work on Junior level too, but we're a small region (a city of 40.000 with a sparse populated agglomeration area) with no university or a federal volleyball academy, so we're not able to collect good youth players from everywhere and "label" them as "ours". And even in our own federal state the minor league team in the capital which produced not a single pro player in the last years gets all state support. So we did fairly well in Suhl considering all of this.

And in the end... It should be no matter what kind of passport a player has. The so called "foreign" players helped the german league to obtain a higher level of play, and this is good for the clubs and for "domestic" players. they learn new cultures and new styles of volleyball and have a good level of competition. That's why there is no need for a "foreign player limit"

• There is so much wrong in it...I don't know where to start. ;)

1.) Suhl has more than 1 "German" player this season. If you go by passport (and I think that's what counts) we had four german players an the field.
    2.) "consisted almost only of foreign players" ...first of all this is just not true. 19 german players in 8 years of 1st League. Plus a lot of players that are not more "foreign" than Angelina Grun or Maggie Kozuch.
    3.) If you want a certain level of performance, "german" players are more expensive than "foreign" players. So the connection you make between money and "foreigners" is not correct. The truth is far more complex.
    4.) Suhl does good work on Junior level too, but we're a small region (a city of 40.000 with a sparse populated agglomeration area) with no university or a federal volleyball academy, so we're not able to collect good youth players from everywhere and "label" them as "ours". And even in our own federal state the minor league team in the capital which produced not a single pro player in the last years gets all state support. So we did fairly well in Suhl considering all of this.

And in the end... It should be no matter what kind of passport a player has. The so called "foreign" players helped the german league to obtain a higher level of play, and this is good for the clubs and for "domestic" players. they learn new cultures and new styles of volleyball and have a good level of competition. That's why there is no need for a "foreign player limit"

First of all, I agree with the last part of what you write. Players like Topic, Buijs, Mesa, Merkova etc certainly are good for the level of our league. I never meant to say that I have anything against foreign players or against Suhl having so many of them...

1) Dominice Steffen got injured early in the season and Lily Schmidt never really gets to play, so I counted Claudia Steger as the only "real" player from Germany. Who is the 4th?

2) I don't agree on that. I think Suhl is the only team who always had more foreign players than German players. Of course, as I said before, this doesn't really matter to me, but since this topic is about foreign players, I wrote it.

3) I meant something different with that. Clubs who have financial problems rather take German players for little money, even if they don't have a good level of performance. For example Dresden took players like Katharina Schwabe and Silvia Sperl in their main team instead of buying some foreign OH who would cost more money even if she might be a better player...

4) Once again, I didn't mean to say that having many foreigners equals to doing bad work on junior level ;) Of course it is easier for teams like Dresden, Schwerin and Münster to get young German players from their own Junior teams...

I really didn't mean to offend Suhl, once again for me it doesn't matter how many foreigners a team has :drink:

1) Dominice Steffen got injured early in the season and Lily Schmidt never really gets to play, so I counted Claudia Steger as the only "real" player from Germany. Who is the 4th?

2) I don't agree on that. I think Suhl is the only team who always had more foreign players than German players. Of course, as I said before, this doesn't really matter to me, but since this topic is about foreign players, I wrote it.
    ---

Annamaria Polgar has a german passport. (Not counting Nicole Hennlein and Anika Brinkmann, who were part of the club in the beginning of the season but had no appearances) This season started with a lot of bad luck, that was shrinking the roster, and there is just no way to get a decent compensation from the "domestic" player market

Sorry, you're wrong. Suhl is definetly not the only team. Wiesbaden had at least one season where they had even more "foreigners" than we did. ;) And for me players like Maja Adam Ilic and Natasa Rapajic were not foreigners anymore, and easily could have played as "germans" - like I said...not a lot more "foreign" than Grun or Kozuch.

And for Dresden it's easy to have a lot of german players in their lineup. They have the biggest roster in german league, but the starting six at the game in Suhl was not a lot more "domestic" than ours. ;)

SKOL! :drink:

• Ok, I didn't know Polgar has a German passport, I thought she was still Hungarian...

Yeah, there are a few teams who sometimes have a lot of foreigners (in the past also for example Vilsbiburg), but for my impression Suhl is the only one who is like that every year. But in the end it doesn't really matter ;)

• Kozuch still is Polish too. That's Europe :) The only difference is, that in Kozuchs or Gruns case the german federation had interest to pay the CHF 10000 or whatever the fee is, to make them officially "volleyball-germans". ;)

By the way: In season 09/10 Suhl had 7 german passports out of 12 players. If my math is right, thats more "germans" than foreigners. :teach:

• Kozuch still is Polish too. That's Europe :) The only difference is, that in Kozuchs or Gruns case the german federation had interest to pay the CHF 10000 or whatever the fee is, to make them officially "volleyball-germans". ;)

By the way: In season 09/10 Suhl had 7 german passports out of 12 players. If my math is right, thats more "germans" than foreigners. :teach:

Why are you so much offended by comment of Mathias :what: It is really clear that he is talking about general situation of Suhl, it doesn't matter if they have 7 German players for only one season :aww: It is also not a topic about which player must be counted as foreigner or domestic :whistle: And having too much foreigners is not that much bad as soon as they show good performance it is ok.

By the way I wonder the rule in Serie A? would somebody give some detail?