The World Rankings

• how come Bulgaria is so high? the point from WC haven't been reduced yet?

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• The points from WCH 2006 count till the next WCH 2010, so, basically, it's one of the main reasons why we are so high :) Of course, the third place in the WCup 2007 also helps a lot!

• ı think there must be a tournament which just let first 8 country participate.(like tennis) and maybe another one for 9.-16. countries.so this ranking would be more realistic.because of continental differences,there would be some wrong ranking.

• It is difficult to treat this ranking serious. Nobody will convince me, that China is almost as good as Poland or Japan better than Spain. Now way. But we have the same situation in football rankings.So, we should not worry about it :)
    Volleyball clubs ranking is much more sensible, I think.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• yeah men's ranking is a joke and it don't show true "power" of teams. Japan and China are definitely to high and France at 18 position is joke;/ i know they were pretty rubbish last times but they are a lot better team than Puertorico Australia Egypt and such.
    woman's ranking is IMO close to reality . Netherlands and Russia should be higher but overall it's fine :)

• and women's ranking

1 (1) Brazil 270
    2 (2) USA 175
    3 (3) China 167
    4 (5) Italy 160
    5 (5) Cuba 152
    6 (4) Russia 150
    7 (7) Japan 135
    8 (8 ) Serbia 115
    9 (10) Netherlands 85.5
    10 (9) Poland 84
    11 (11) Germany 77.5
    12 (14) Dom. Rep. 49
    13 (17) Thailand 47
    12 (12) Korea 47
    15 (18 ) Puerto Rico 45
    16 (13) Kazakhstan 39.5
    17 (19) Algeria 39
    18 (16) Peru 38
    19 (24) Cameroon 33
    19 (20) Turkey 33

whole ranking

• does it include last continental championship?

• FIVB World Ranking Men: Continental Champ. 2009 - 100%, OG 2008 - 100%, WL 2009 100%, World Cup 2007 - 50%, World Champ. 2006 - 50 %
    FIVB World Ranking Women: WGP 2009 - 100%, OG 2008 - 100%, World Cup 2007 - 50%, Continental Champ. 2007 - 50%, World Champ. 2006 - 50%

• FIVB World Ranking Men: Continental Champ. 2009 - 100%, OG 2008 - 100%, WL 2009 100%, World Cup 2007 - 50%, World Champ. 2006 - 50 %
    FIVB World Ranking Women: WGP 2009 - 100%, OG 2008 - 100%, World Cup 2007 - 50%, Continental Champ. 2007 - 50%, World Champ. 2006 - 50%

This ranking is used in the draw for the world championship? The world ranking women consist out of Contintental Champ. 2009!

• On FIVB's website was mistake. Ranking was correct, but had wrong description.
    Should be: FIVB World Ranking Women: Continental Champ 2009 100%; WGP 2009 - 100%, OG 2008 - 100%, World Cup 2007 - 50%, World Champ. 2006 - 50%

• FIVB must make some updates regarding the calculation procedure of world ranking system. Especially FİFA's method is the most reasonable one. FIFA consider not only the results of a few amount of formal matches. Their 4 main criterions are:

-Match result (win&lose,straight or tie break sets...)
    -Match status(not only world championships,continental championships but also friendly matches and qualifying matches)
    -Opposition strength(Obviously, a win against a very highly ranked opponent is a considerably greater achievement than a win against a low-rated opponent, so the strength of the opposing team is a factor.Maybe a strength factor based on team rankings.)
    -Regional strength(Also the relative strength of entire confederations must be considered in the calculation in order to prevent the Africa champions to have higher ranking than European championship's 5th ranked team, turkey)

benefits of this ranking would be;

-teams from the weaker region like africa and teams from the strongest region such as europe won't take the same points. So it would be more realistic.
    -winning of strong teams like brazil,italy and china won't contribute the same point with winning egypt or costa rica etc.
    -Host countries has a great advantages in the present system by joining the tournament without playing any qualifications. But the system which ı suggest won2t give any qualifying matches point so it would lessen of ninequal points of host countries like japan.
    -beating an opponent with a clear result and a struggled match would bring different points.

what do you think about this kind of update for world ranking?

• I have created a system based on the FIFA systems with some modifications for volleyball. I have taken the last 8 years worth of matches for both the men and women for the following.
    1. Olympics
    2. FIVB World Championships
    3. World League (men)
    4. World Grand Prix (women)
    5. Grand Champions Cup (once every 4 years)
    6. Continental championships
    7. World Cup (once every 4 years)
    8. Olympic Qualifying (regional and world)

Friendlies are not included because it is almost impossible to find information on them.

I have given points for the following

1. Number of sets won (3,2,1,0)
    2. Points ratio Teams can score a higher ratio and still lose the match.
    3. Regional strength (matches within an region are given a multiplier of 1, majority of matches are played there; regional strength is based on international matches) number can be below 1 for international matches for one region
    4. Rank based on previous results, maximum score of 2 (201-1), lowest score is 1 (teams of 101st and higher rarely play)

Also points are only over a 4 year period, with percentage changes.

For the men there were 2,966 matches from 2002-2009, and my system had correctly predicted the winner on a match basis 74.31% of the time.
    For the women there were 2,470 matches from 2002-2009, and my system had correctly predicted the winner on a match basis 78.70% of the time.

My Top 10 for the men after the World League (includes all World Championships Qualifying from 2009) (FIVB Ranking in parenthesis)
    1 Brazil (1)
    2 Russia (2)
    3 Cuba 8
    4 USA (3)
    5 Serbia (4)
    6 Poland (6)
    7 Italy (5)
    8 Bulgaria (7)
    9 Germany (11)
    10 Finland (33)

Finland is getting no respect for playing in the World League by the FIVB on an annual basis, same for Cuba
    Argentina is 9th in the FIVB ranking, I have them 12th.
    China is 10th in the FIVB ranking, I have them 16th. They have not won many matches in the World League the last couple of years.

Women Top 10 before World Grand Prix
    1 Brazil (1)
    2 China (2)
    3 Italy (7)
    4 Poland (11)
    5 Japan (5)
    6 USA (4)
    7 Russia (3)
    8 Cuba (6)
    9 Netherlands 8
    10 Germany (9)

Serbia is 10th in the FIVB ranking, I've got them 13th.

For this year, on the men I am at 76.47% right and the women 83.67% right.

• well it's really hard to take this ranking seriously. Turkey is 22th...absance in WGP really hurts and Germany Turkey and others really have to do everything to play in next year edition since thos epoints will be counted for olimpic ranking. it would be great if we could keep on with this 8th position,,,it makes us 3rd European team and that almost guarantee at least 2 chance to qulify to Olimpic games. but there's a lot of time before OGQ so we will see. WCh will be crucial

• Indeed very hard to take it serious!!!!It is almos to laught!!!Absurd that Germany falled like that, ok, they didnt make a good GRand Prix, but at least they were playing it!!!That means something FIVB!!!Wake Up!!!!!! I hate when politics get involved in this situations.... :down:

• Indeed very hard to take it serious!!!!It is almos to laught!!!Absurd that Germany falled like that, ok, they didnt make a good GRand Prix, but at least they were playing it!!!That means something FIVB!!!Wake Up!!!!!! I hate when politics get involved in this situations.... :down:

You are right, Joana! But unfortunately almost every big (national or international) sportsfedration is about politics!!! The best example is ofcourse the FIFA-president, Blatter (he is total corrupt dictator, in my opinion. Like former FIVB-president Acosta was not a blessing for the international volleyball-community :(

• Don't forget that the qualifying for the World Champions that was done last year has not even been counted into the World Rankings.

Here are my top 20 rankings after the first matches of the third round of CEV 2011 Championships qualifying for MEN, FIVB in parenthesis

1. Brazil (1)
    2. Russia (2)
    3. Cuba (8)
    4. USA (3)
    5. Serbia (4)
    6. Poland (6)
    7. Italy (5)
    8. Bulgaria (7)
    9. Germany (11)
    10. Finland (33)
    11. France (12)
    12. Argentina (9)
    13. Netherlands (27)
    14. Japan (12)
    15. China (10)
    16. Egypt (14)
    17. South Korea (16)
    18. Spain (37)
    19. Puerto Rico (17)
    20. Venezuela (15)

FIVB has Iran 18th (me 22), Algeria 19th (me 34), Canada 20th (me 28)

Here are my top 20 rankings after the first matches of the third round of CEV 2011 Championships qualifying for WOMEN, FIVB in parenthesis

1. Brazil (1)
    2. Italy (4)
    3. China (3)
    4. USA (2)
    5. Poland (8)
    6. Japan (5)
    7. Netherlands (10)
    8. Germany (15)
    9. Dominican Republic (11)
    10. Russia (7)
    11. Cuba (6)
    12. Thailand (12)
    13. Serbia (9)
    14. Bulgaria (14)
    15. South Korea (21)
    16. Puerto Rico (13)
    17. Turkey (22)
    18. Czech Republic (38)
    19. Spain (40)
    20. Azerbaijan (33)

FIVB has Algeria 14th (me 30), Kazakhstan 16th (me 24), Peru 17th (me 29), Cameroon 18th (me 38), Tunisia 19th (me 43), Argentina 19th (me 33)

• Wow, you like The Netherlands :) but then again, who doesn't eh? :P :teach:

• My results are based on matches played, sets won, regional strength and ranking of opponents. I am at 78.66% for women's matches (164) and 74.42% for men's matches (215) through last weekend.

The Netherlands women benefited last year due to their 8 wins in the preliminary round of the World GP and getting to the finals in the European Championship. According to my calculations, they had the 2nd most points last year behind Brazil.

For the men, they were mediocre last year and benefited with only one big win over the US. Their participation in the World League increases their scores.

Plus do not forget that FIVB has not included ANY of the World Championship Qualifying at this point. My results include qualifying.