34. Cameroon (22t) x
    35. Sweden (77)
    36. Croatia (52t)
    37. Greece (52t)
    38. Estonia (43)
    39. Algeria (31t)
    40. F.Y.R. Macedonia (117)
    62. Venezuela (35t) x

• So new FIVB ranking after WL would be as follows, I have assumed they wont give France 9th position Ranking as for Australia last year. (If Serbia becomes champion they will come above Argentina)

1. Brazil
    2. Russia
    3. Poland
    4. Italy
    5. USA
    6. Argentina
    7. Serbia (+1)
    8. Bulgaria (+1)
    9. Germany (-2)
    10. France (+2)
    11. Cuba
    12. Iran (-2)
    13. Australia
    14. Canada

• New world ranking after WL and WGP. They finally decided to give 9th position points to France.
    Men , Women .

• New FIVB Men's ranking after world cup will be as follows:

1. Brazil
    2. Russia
    3. Poland
    3. USA (+2)
    5. Italy (-1)
    6. Argentina (+1)
    7. Bulgaria (+1)
    8. Iran (+3)
    9. Serbia (-3)
    10. Germany (-1)
    11. Canada (+2)
    12. France
    13. Australia
    14. Japan (+6)
    15. Cuba (-5)

• New men's ranking , Russia missed 2nd position after 5 years. This ranking will determine OG groups.

• There will be some major changes in the world ranking for three European teams that will miss the Games (Germany, Bulgaria, Serbia). All three participated in London 4 years ago and now they will not defend their ranking points. Bulgaria will be the biggest loser of all. Bulgaria will lose 67 points, Germany - 47, Serbia - 27 (providing that they are each given 3 points for taking part in the European qualifiers in Berlin). After all, Bulgaria played a semifinal in London and the lack of points from Rio will cause a massive drop, probably heading the team toward positions 17-18. Germany and Serbia should both be placed above Bulgaria at the end of the summer, but Serbia will still have to defend their 50 points (1st place) from the World League before Rio.

• New Men's and Women's ranking after WL & GP. They've done a renovation and eliminated continental champs points from ranking. Good step to make it more real. :thumbup:

• New Men's and Women's ranking after WL & GP. They've done a renovation and eliminated continental champs points from ranking. Good step to make it more real. :thumbup:

No, it is wrong, winning the continental championships mean something. Sure we all know that Brazil will win the South American Championship, but you have those championships to get to the World Cup or even sometimes as World Championship qualifying.

So instead we have 350 points as the maximum as opposed to 380. Shouldn't it just be 400 max to be fair? 50 points for the Continental Championships, they are only held every 2 years anyways, then have always been counted and now, nope they don't matter. Just wrong. :wall:

• But think how much it can change for an European team, where is way more difficult than NORCECA or South America to win the championship or even got to the podium because of the larger amount of top teams.

Speaking of the man, USA, Brazil and Iran (but also the vice continental champions high in the ranking, like Argentina) would have a big ranking advantage vs France, Serbia, Italy, Russia, Poland...
    They are almost sure to win the gold while in Europe at least two of these team won't even get to the podium.

And the fact that the Continental Ch are important to get to the World Cup is already counted with the World Cup itself: for example, in the female ranking Italy is under the Rep Dom because we didn't go to the World Cup and loss several ranking points for that.
    And that it's true also for other European top teams, that always have to struggle more than the others top teams to get to the World Cup.

• But continental championships didn't matter for qualifying for World Cup last year, world rankings did. Of course, we're yet to see how it will work for Tokyo '20, but if they keep this system, continental championships won't have ANY real value and that's simply wrong.
    FIVB should just stop pretending that all continents are equally worth.

• But continental championships didn't matter for qualifying for World Cup last year, world rankings did.

If i remember right, it was the CEV ranking which was applied to determine european starters for WC.

It is quite clear that Fivb is trying to protect the product "World League". Everyone now is forced to play there.

• You're right, CEV rankings were used. And still ECh plays little role there, as for example Italy is currently ranked above Serbia in women's competition even though they finished lower at both most recent ECh tournaments.

Continental tournaments should definitely have some real practical value. It's simply wrong if they don't.

• FIVB should just stop pretending that all continents are equally worth.

Well, about that I definitely agree.
    If FIVB will chose to give different points to different Continental Championship – for example with a proportion that consider the ranking of the team that partecipate (or also just like the first 8 in the Continental Ch rank) – it would be quite an equal solution.
    Until then I found more equilibrate not to consider that at all...

About the European team in the WC, I actually don't remember exactly how the qualification works, so it's possible I was wrong ^^'
    I just had a remote memory that when Italy (men) got to the ECh final in 2013, the commentator said that we secured the presence in the World Cup, and brahmin statements confirmed that in my head ;)

Ps how is possible that Serbia is beyond Italy even if Serbia played the WC and Italy didn't? Are you sure it was used the CEV ranking? :what:

• Ps how is possible that Serbia is beyond Italy even if Serbia played the WC and Italy didn't? Are you sure it was used the CEV ranking? :what:

That's because CEV rankings don't take World Cup into consideration. Which then leads to another illogical thing with Serbia being higher ranked than Italy in world rankings, but lower in European ones. :wacko: If anything, it should the other way around as Serbia did better than Italy in recent European tournaments.
    Serbia played at World Cup because they were above Italy in CEV rankings when the cut-off for WC participation was made, but they have dropped in the meantime.

ECh finalists used to qualify for the World Cup before, but it was changed last year.

Anyway, I just hope the CEV will do what they promised and that ECh '19 will serve as the qualifying tournament for Tokyo.

• Yeah, I checked, for Europe is the CEV ranking (but every continent has is own way to qualificate the two teams allowed).

Qualification at the WC

I just had a remote memory that when Italy (men) got to the ECh final in 2013, the commentator said that we secured the presence in the World Cup

Probably the ranking points for the silver was already enough to have a good position on the ranking, so being in the final was sufficient to qualify to the WC (not because of being in the final itself, but because of the points earned with it).

EDIT, I read that later:

ECh finalists used to qualify for the World Cup before, but it was changed last year.

Serbia played at World Cup because they were above Italy in CEV rankings when the cut-off for WC participation was made, but they have dropped in the meantime.

Thanks for the explanation ;)

In general, it's hard to decide whether include worldwide result in the continental ranking: not doing that leads to paradox like the one about Italy and Serbia (women), but at the same time for example Slovenia got second in the Man Ech but has zero chance to do many points in WL or OG...

• I think there are just too many competitions in volleyball. We have Olympics (with all the qualfying tournaments), WCh, ECh, World Cup, Grand Prix (World League), European League, since last year also European Games... No other sport has that. Trying to fit it all into rankings will inevitably turn into a mess. At least they got rid of the Olympic pre-qualfying tournaments this time, but still the process could be scaled down a bit more.

FIVB wasn't happy that some teams didn't always play with their best line-up in World League and Grand Prix this year, but how can they? Some players can't possibly catch a break, they're at some competition literally all the time. They're not robots.

• It's obvious the FIVB wants desperately everyone to play the World League, look what happened to Germany when they chose to play at the European Games instead. The message is clear.

I like this change, we're all talking about CEV and Norceca, but what about the Cavb (Africa)? It was ridiculous to have Egypt and Tunisia ranked within the top 15 in the world.

• I am quite happy with the new rule that eliminates points from continental tournaments. It was ridiculous to give same amount of points to Egypt and Russia or south america finalist Argentina/Peru would get the same points of ECh finalist :down:

The only other option could be giving different points for the winner of each continental tournaments, such as 50 points for ECh winner and 10 points for African champion