Is it bad to appear frustrated while playing volleyball?

• Hello,
    I am 35 and play indoor volleyball about 4 times a week. I generally go to open gyms and adult volleyball classes and enjoy doing drills a lot. Most people who are in class do recognize I am very serious about the game. However, when other people in the open gym play badly usually because of lack of focus it annoys me and the frustration is visible on my face. I never say anything but people do notice that I am not pleased. Some of my friends have complained that my frustration does affect other people's play even though I don't verbally say anything. When I was learning to play most people I used to play with was never happy with my skill level and that pushed me to play better with 100% focus. Am I just playing with the wrong group of people or is just wrong to expect a serious volleyball game among adults?

• Hello,
    I am 35 and play indoor volleyball about 4 times a week. I generally go to open gyms and adult volleyball classes and enjoy doing drills a lot. Most people who are in class do recognize I am very serious about the game. However, when other people in the open gym play badly usually because of lack of focus it annoys me and the frustration is visible on my face. I never say anything but people do notice that I am not pleased. Some of my friends have complained that my frustration does affect other people's play even though I don't verbally say anything. When I was learning to play most people I used to play with was never happy with my skill level and that pushed me to play better with 100% focus. Am I just playing with the wrong group of people or is just wrong to expect a serious volleyball game among adults?

Reason might be that not everybody play volleyball just to win the game, some people may just enjoy their time instead of focusing and caring every point. Maybe trying a strong jump serve, which most probably will be error, would please them more than a safe float serve. I think it is all about the professionality level of the group you are playing with. If it is just for fun you can't expect everyone give value the game as much as you do. However, if it is at least a semi-professional group which is playing in a league division, of course you can expect from them to play with their 100%.

Personally, I try to win every game that I play. That's why I also do everything to lift the performance of my team. However, making it by pushing them with frustration-face doesnot work since people are bad at managing stress and it gets harder under pressure. Thus, if you want to improve their game and play more focused, you should motivate them more positively. Calling "great defense" or " nice passing" would please people and let them play more comfortable way, which will most probably increase their performance.