Russian Superleague 2017/2018

• What? Kuzbass act as total losers at the end of third set. They were praying for Zenit's mistakes but it didn't come.
    Pleaseeeeee, can someone stop Leon? This is getting boring. Just serve to him , it is not rocket science

I wish you posted earlier. :lol: I totally missed a great part of the game because the time start of the match did not match with what I know. :aww:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Kemerovo needs to win this set for the sake of destroying the invincibility notion that surrounds Zenit Kazan. :read:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Does anyone know if Wilfredo Leon has a problem with his spiking arm? He had compression arm sleeves since their defeat in St. Petersburg or probably longer...

#FreeBritney

• That's really unfortunate. It is very inadvisable to not swing aggressively against Zenit Kazan considering the firepower they could return to you but those errors in attack though. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Poor sportmanship from Podlesnykh. He kicked the pole after getting stuffed that won the game for Zenit Kazan.

#FreeBritney

• After commenting on Serniotti's dismissal in Poland, let's move on to Cretu's resignation in Belgorod. One single game, lost 0-3 at home to Kuzbass in the Cup semifinal, is said to have been the reason for the coach's decision. Is there something more into this story?

I downloaded the match and watched it two days ago (next comes the replay of the final, on the to-do list). Well, OK, Belogorie were absent in that semifinal. Shaky reception, non-existent block, self-destructive serves, vague attacks and so many errors in total that they probably hadn't committed all season before that weekend. And what seemed like a semi-ready final against Zenit at home after they had chosen to play Kuzbass on Saturday resulted in a fiasco. It doesn't happen often in professional sport for a coach to resign due to bad performances and even if I admire his courage, I don't feel like Cretu is the only one guilty. Belogorie's season is still going well, so a sudden drop that resulted in a pounding defeat sound like a team effort. As powsoff wrote, it won't do them good if they continue with the experiments on the bench, let alone the constant changes. On Saturday, Muserskiy, Tetyukhin, and Nikolov, for instance, should be in the first line of criticism, even if pretty much everyone underperformed.

I am looking forward to watching the same Kuzbass in that final against Zenit. Kuzbass surely arrived in Belgorod as a desired opponent and ended up almost winning the Cup. I couldn't watch them much before last weekend, so the 2-3 surprising defeats they suffered, including the way too easy 0-3 at home versus Fakel, I could only explain with the great level of the league. Their squad, worthy of a top 6-7 finish, is impressive this season, although not star-studded. Even Sammelvuo, who has a lot to prove as a coach yet, made a good impression and did a fantastic job during the weekend (and obviously in preparation for it). Kuzbass got lucky a few times in the semifinal, but their floats were very aggressive and consistent, they defended pretty well, the attacks from each zone were lethal, and Kobzar did whatever he wanted. I enjoy it when those mid-table teams stun favourites, especially that convincingly. I thought it was just a fluke but then they almost beat Zenit Kazan on the following day. I hope they keep that momentum in the Russian league, too.

• Cretu wasn't bad. Maybe he made some couple of mistakes during the pre-season transfer but that's it. They still are leveled with Zenit Kazan for the regular season. You can't really do nothing when everything is not working for you. All the players were terrible.

I got a feeling Shipulin is behind his resignation. :whistle:

#FreeBritney

• It was an intense match between Zenit St Petersburg and Novosibirsk decided by service and a very good substitution.

In all practical reason... Novosibirsk should've won the game. Horrendous reception as like all games of the Other Zenit including all of liberos and the seemingly lack of reliable outside hitters to play better than Sivozhelez or Camejo.

Still I found out they used at last another player than Shipotko. :rolll:

Boldyrev managed to play well. Not bad. I just didn't think he was that good but he was able to mend the reception of St. Petersburg and play more air battles against Novosibirsk. The reception just was zero for Petersburg. The fact he raised the ball was enough to get some rally going.

Kurkaev should've been the MVP of the match. He was the one who broke the reception of SPb. Martynuk played also very well. Eksi who was also great however turned very predictable and the attack suffered in a big way for Novosibirsk although the pipe set he made for Divis was amazing but not enough for a win. It was just that you know when it's coming to Grozer or his middle blockers which caused enough momentum for the other Kazan to wage a come back.

For the last points of the game. I was shocked when Klimkin decided to bench Volkov for Sivozhelez to serve. At the first moment... I thought it was a bad decision with how great Volkov's serve is then I remembered the olympic champion doing so badly in defense after he serves.

I'm glad Sivozhelez proved everyone wrong on that. Still the passing was just unacceptable so Boldyrev has to be the MVP of this match for me. He saved Zenit SPb when everyone thought they have no one in the bench. :win:

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• A decent game indeed, almost followed by a decent fight :).
    I agree that Novosibirsk lost this in many was miraculously but I don't think it is the Volkov-Sivozhelez sub that was the key for winning - to me, it was a difference in the ability to recycle the ball after poor reception and first touch during long rallies.

Lokomotiv could have won set 1 (that was very equal) and certainly should have been grabbing set 4, from the transition ball on their service at 21:18. Don't want to be negative but Loko did remind me of Bulgarian NT - an excellent in many ways but a bit careless outfit. In set 4 there were simply no objective reason for them not to go 23:18 when they'd wasted a free ball but likewise there was no serving magician on the other side. Things were tough but doable - yet, they've screwed up. They then managed to waste a three-breakpoint lead on the tiebreaker in one rotation (from 7:3 to 7:7) due to bizarre attacking, the service was nothing special. Their coach would inevitably get under attack but what needs to be corrected is their offensive strategy. These nervous breakdowns by Konstantinov during the game were annoying but somehow they all were timed well for the opponent's service.

Sivozhelez has a reputation of a strong server/acer and a good defender. He's also very good off-the-bench server too so nothing special that he subs the MB Volkov. The latter may serve tough and claim an ocassional ace due to a poor positioning of the receivers but he certainly can't bruteforce a breakpoint from the service line. Note though that first two breakpoints on Sivozhelez's serve (12:12, 13:12) were won thanks to the team performance (and poor decisions from Loko).

• Thanks for the insight powsoff. I would like however to ask about the near-scruffle between the two teams in the tie break. I think that was 12-13 and at the end of the match. A conflict between Kurkaev/maybe with Grozer and Camejo happened which Pavlov from the bench suddenly been a part of(he even pushed Grozer away :rolll:.) I don't even understand the yellow card to the other Zenit(Was it issued? I'm not sure). It felt like Novosibirsk started the fight. I think that resulted to their own demise however. Seems like the fight affected them more than it did to SPb. :super:

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• Thanks for the insight powsoff. I would like however to ask about the near-scruffle between the two teams in the tie break. I think that was 12-13 and at the end of the match. A conflict between Kurkaev/maybe with Grozer and Camejo happened which Pavlov from the bench suddenly been a part of(he even pushed Grozer away :rolll:.) I don't even understand the yellow card to the other Zenit(Was it issued? I'm not sure). It felt like Novosibirsk started the fight. I think that resulted to their own demise however. Seems like the fight affected them more than it did to SPb. :super:

To me, it looked as something has been said from the SPb side straight after Grozer had been stuffed by three men to give 13:12. Presumably the author was Pankov. Kurkaev raised the issue across the net immediately and the answer arrived from Sivozhelez and Camejo. The former has a track record of small provocations (e.g. against Zaytsev vs Macerata in ChL back in I think 2013) so he was quick to push Kurkaev through the net. Camejo I think is the biggest guy on court and he played for both teams so it was natural that he gets his views to be heard. Pavlov is the captain who is bored on the bench and therefore he decided to help his team as much as he could :). All he could do was getting Sivozhelez see the yellow, which I think he fully deserved. In brief, all was done so that Sivozhelez would screw up his next serve but very he served an ace instead!

• Some Xmas news coming from Rus.

Yenisey got fed up with their progress (or rather the lack of that) this season and sacked their head coach, Yuri Cherednik. Kuzbass sacked Nicola Giolito, possibly due to the serious off-the-pitch muscle injury of the OH Nikitin. Rumours are arising that Surgut sacked setter Mitic - god knows what the reasons are, usual business for Surgut.

Of this trio, Cherednik is the most interesting case as he is regarded as a good coach of the Superleague level. He was doing overall OK with Yenisey but then they really failed to jump over their head with their very average roster. They hired Rouzier and Kritskiy this season but it hasn't paid off really hence the outcome. Now I'm reading the intense goss from Belgorod ("our coaches are a bunch of donkeys, why not hire Cherednik?") and I have to say I largely agree with their logic.

But another side of this saga is quite palpable, as I am watching Novosibirsk pretty helplessly losing to Kazan in straight sets. I don't know if the railway bosses are busy with the new year festivities but I bet they may decide that Loko should have at least grabbed a set in the home game and introduce some point replacements within the coaching squad. One may argue though that there are Shlyapnikov and Voronkov who are formally half-employed and thus the liberation of Cherednik is not a prerequisite for this move. Re the match itself, I think Konstantinov made some dubious choices and focused much on eliminating Leon with targeted float serve. Can't read the stats yet but visually Kazan has outdefended and outblocked Novosibirsk. Pavlov wasn't bad at all as he brought some smart work against the block but that was clearly not enough. They needed to be more aggressive with their middle attack and serve better too.

• Novosibirsk needs a better coach of the two clubs you mentioned.

Still not sure someone how anyone in Russia would hire Rouzier after his time in Turkey. Guy was just pretty average.

#FreeBritney

• Can we call Novosibirsk Team Grozer? This is so bad. He's now gets blocked more often.

#FreeBritney