Germany - Volleyball Bundesliga (VBL) 2017/18

• Trainer: Mirko Culic
    Setters: Herr (CAN, Manitoba/CAN), Kaleck
    Opposites: Gavenda (SVK), Krabel (Lindow-Gransee)
    Middles: Sprung, Ferch, <gap>, <gap>
    Outsides: Andrae, Schlag (Bühl), Timmermann, Hafemann
    Liberos: Ratajczak (POL), Gust (Junior Team)

Still some gaps to be filled yet ...

• Trainer: Hans Peter Müller-Angstenberger
    Setters: Jankowski, Cipollone
    Opposites: Nemeth (HUN), Mönnich (VCO Berlin)
    Middles: Wilmsen, Nagel, Henning (VCO Berlin)
    Outsides: "Idi" Lima Martins (BRA, Jakarta/INA), Trenkler, T. Grozer, Mehlberg, Schief
    Liberos: Elsäßer

All three replacements (Mönnich, Henning, Lima Martins) do not have the level of the players leaving (Metzger, Isaak, M. Karlitzek). :white:

• Trainer: Isacsson (SWE, Linköping/SWE)
    Setters: Möller (GER/AUS, Södertelge/SWE), J. Tille (VCO Berlin)
    Opposites: Nibbrig, Gosmann
    Middles: Benz (USA, Irvine/USA), Klingner, Pietzonka
    Outsides: Specht (BRA, Szolnok/HUN), Lipscombe (AUS, Luzern/SUI), Gies, <gap>
    Liberos: Bene (HUN, Szolnok/HUN)

Rumors were not bad:
    New trainer with background (some Belgian/Netherlands guy ?) The Swedish national coach can be said to have some background, yes. :thumbup:
    Some players from USA, CAN, AUS ? See the roster and it's true ...

But compared to the others, this team will still have to fight hard to survive.

• Also today United Volleys Rhein-Main (Frankfurt) announced Sebastian Schwarz (from Jastrzebski Wegiel, POL) as their new outside.
    Together with Lincoln Williams (AUS) now this roster looks quite competitive.

• Also today United Volleys Rhein-Main (Frankfurt) announced Sebastian Schwarz (from Jastrzebski Wegiel, POL) as their new outside.
    Together with Lincoln Williams (AUS) now this roster looks quite competitive

A real good transfer. The people there obviously know what they are doing. They will have again a good and interesting roster. I don't think they can challenge Friedrichshafen/Berlin but third place should be pretty realistic for them.

• A real good transfer. The people there obviously know what they are doing. [...]

This is an intersting transfer for the league. But don't get me wrong: If I had their money, I also would know what to do ...
    Some clubs simply can't afford salaries in the upper 5 or lower 6 digit range per season. :white:

Greets.

• Rottenburg announced two transfers;
    Paul Henning (middle) from VCO Berlin and
    Idner "Idi" Faustino Martins (outside) from Jakarta Elctric (INA).

"Idi" is well known in Germany, but 39 meanwhile. Let's wait ...

• Lüneburg announced Roy Ching (NZL, BU Bobcats/CAN) as their new outside.
    They also claim, that their roster is complete now.
    But nobod knows how it looks like (ok, except my guess ... but it's only a good guess).

• This is an intersting transfer for the league. But don't get me wrong: If I had their money, I also would know what to do ...
    Some clubs simply can't afford salaries in the upper 5 or lower 6 digit range per season. :white:

Greets.

Sure, money helps and i am convinced that you would know what to do but there are enough examples on Volleyball and other sports that there are countless possibilities to brainlessly sink money. I just have the feeling that United Volleys have found a good balance between investing in the roster, marketing and the general club development. I just hope this will pay out soon in increased attendances and further sponsors, apart from "Father Krick".

Lüneburg announced Roy Ching (NZL, BU Bobcats/CAN) as their new outside.
    They also claim, that their roster is complete now.
    But nobod knows how it looks like (ok, except my guess ... but it's only a good guess).

So they now have Tick, Trick and Track, Ray, Roy and Ryan. There would still be place for a Rory..... 8)

Yes, i think your guess on the roster is pretty much OK. Not sure about Paddy Kruse, but we will see. As it seems the guy for the internet is back from holiday so we might see a better flow of information in the coming weeks.....

• Interesting move by Friedrichshafen. Their new OH will be the old MB. According to the club, norwegian player Andreas Takvam is already training for the OH position. He was the best MB of the league in the last season, so this truly comes as a little surprise.

That being said, he surely has the motorical skills and the athleticism for this move. But how he will deal with reception and defence still remains open. It will be interesting to watch....

http://www.vfb-volleyball.de/medien/news/2017/2017-08-18.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_oxWN4gFjQ&feature=youtu.be

• Some news from Solingen (aka Bergische Volleys):

New players are:
    Trainer: Johan Isacsson (SWE, Linköping/SWE)
    Libero: Róbert Bene (HUN, Szolnok/HUN)
    Outside: Iurgen Hummes Specht (BRA, Szolnok/HUN), Gerrard Lipscombe (AUS, Luzern/SUI)
    Middle: Andrew Benz (USA, Irvine/USA)

Source.

If you see the other rosters, they are still the candidate number one for going down for me.

Greets.

• The season will start on Sunday with the German Supercup:

Sunday, 8th October, 15.30 CET (after the woman's match)
    VfB Friedrichshafen vs. Berlin Recycling Volleys

stream: http://sportdeutschland.tv/vbl/volleyball-supercup-2017_4

Other News:
    After Yanagida in Bühl, there will be another japanese NT player in Bundesliga. United Volleys transferred opposite player Issei Otake. Both transfers already had some impact on the clubs' social media sites, so apparantly both guys are pretty popular in Japan. I hope it will work out on the court too.

• VfB is winning 3:1 and so the first title of the season goes to Friedrichshafen.

stats: http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Men/&1.pdf

Season could become difficult for Berlin, unless the old guard (Kromm,Carroll, Kühner) quickly plays the rust out of their bones. Imho the team lost quality, especially the bench (K. Russell, van Harlem, Adam White for ter Maat, Zhukouski and Schott). Still time to prove me wrong though.....

I don't even think that Friedrichshafen played close to 100% today. Decent match, but imo they still can do better. Very good performance by german youngsters Sossenheimer and J. Günthör :thumbup:

• Season could become difficult for Berlin, unless the old guard (Kromm,Carroll, Kühner) quickly plays the rust out of their bones.....

:teach:
    And here we go. Berlin lost in straight sets to Düren . Carroll and Kromm need to get their act together, otherwise further losses will follow.

Today the new austrian/bavarian wildcard team of Hypo Tirol Haching will make their first impression in Bundesliga with their match in Friedrichshafen (14.30 CET, TV production).

stream: http://sportdeutschland.tv/vbl…ol-alpenvolleys-haching_2

• I am kind of out of the world right now and I could only follow stats these last few days. Berlin's dreadful start is worth talking about, although we have to admit that their first two matches in the season were against difficult opponents. Dueren should create trouble this campaign. Who knows, after many recent attempts by Moculescu and last year by Heynen, perhaps the time has finally come to see a new champion in Germany. It's way too early now, of course. United Volleys also look well on paper, I will follow their games when I find some time. I was also waiting for Alpen Volleys' start. It leaves a bittersweet taste that, correct me if I am wrong, only the current second setter, the Bulgarian Georgi Topalov who is slow for that level, to be honest, was not part of Tirol and is the only "German" reinforcement. More than 80% of the roster + the head coach come directly from Tirol, but that was agreed on during the summer months. We also talked about it here.

Looking at the stats, I can't just miss it - Andreas Takvam played as an OH for Friedrichshafen?