South American Championship 2011

• It was realeased this week the schedule of the 2011 South american Championship, that qualifies to World Cup in the end of the year.

The tournament will happen in Cuiabá (MT - Brasil), between 19 and 25 September.

7 Teams will play, in a robin-round system. Brasil, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay and Colombia.

Schedule (brasilian time, -5CET):

14h – Venezuela x Colombia
    16h30 – Argentina x Chile
    19h – Brasil x Uruguai

13h30 – Argentina x Colombia
    16h – Uruguai x Paraguai
    18h30 – Brasil x Chile

13h30 – Venezuela x Chile
    16h – Argentina x Uruguai
    18h30 – Brasil x Paraguai

13h30 – Chile x Paraguai
    16h – Argentina x Venezuela
    18h30 – Brasil x Colômbia

13h30 – Venezuela x Uruguai
    16h – Colômbia x Chile
    18h30 – Argentina x Paraguai

10h – Brasil x Venezuela
    12h30 – Colômbia x Paraguai
    15h – Chile x Uruguai

10h – Brasil x Argentina
    Colômbia x Uruguai *
    Venezuela x Paraguai *

*time to be defined

• Why they don't integrate with Norceca then? Both continental championships are much weaker than European but get two quotas for the World Cup

• Why they don't integrate with Norceca then? Both continental championships are much weaker than European but get two quotas for the World Cup

Agree with you, although Cuba, USA, Brasil and Argentina deserve to be in World Cup :) .

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Agree with you, although Cuba, USA, Brasil and Argentina deserve to be in World Cup :) .

I agree with both of you: in fact I see the problem too, but because these 4 teams all deserve to be in WC, for me the solution isn't giving less space to the american teams, but more to the european: no wild cards, and 4 places sure for European team (expecially if Japan is always the hosting, that means 3 asian team).

It should be like in CEV CL: Italy can have 3 places, others league (Russia, Poland...) 2, others 1 etc.

BTW it will have more sense having a 16 teams championship (with 8 american teams from north and 8 from south) than two small, predictable torunament. (the top 4 will join the WC)

• For South America, Venezuela and Argentina have always been the #2 or #3 teams. When Argentina was not in the World League, it was Venezuela.

For North America, Canada and Puerto Rico are usually the #3 or #4 teams. Mexico actually played in the World Championships last year as the #4 Norceca team after Puerto Rico.

Yes, these regional tournaments are not as competitive in people's minds, but the individual confederations make the decisions, not multiple confederations.

For the World Cup, the FIVB is not selecting the best teams. They are selecting the 2 best teams from each confederation. Since this is an Olympics qualifying events, it has to open to all confederations. Yes, the African teams have not qualified through the World Cup, but you have to win to get there.

Only when the individual confederations have their qualifying rounds, do we find out who is being left out. Only the best losing teams get into the final wild-card rounds of Olympic qualifying.

• I read that brasilian tv will show only brasilian matches, I thought that since they are the hosts they would have shown everything :( I'm so sad I'm only going to watch Argentina once :(

for the rosters.. I think they aren't out yet :huh:

• I read that brasilian tv will show only brasilian matches, I thought that since they are the hosts they would have shown everything :( I'm so sad I'm only going to watch Argentina once :(

for the rosters.. I think they aren't out yet :huh:

The match between Brazil and Argentina will be the only match I'll follow.
    The time is perfect, too. :)

And what about Brazil, because I've heard, that they have a conflict inside the team.

I don't know about it, what happened?

anyway this was the list for Argentina for the last 2 friendly matches they played against Chile, I don't think it will change much for this Championship :)

Armadores:
    De Cecco, Luciano - 02/06/1988 - Monza (ITA)
    Uriarte, Nicolás - 21/03/1990 - Boca Juniors (ARG)

Opuestos:
    Pereyra, Federico - 19/06/1988 - Montes Claros (BRA)
    Castellani, Iván - 19/01/1991 - Bolívar (ARG)

Centrales:
    Blanco Costa, Martín - 16/12/1985 - Sarmiento Vóley (ARG)
    Solé, Sebastián - 12/06/1991 - Bolívar (ARG)
    Crer, Pablo - 12/06/1989 - Bolívar (ARG)

Puntas:
    Quiroga, Rodrigo - 23/03/1987 - CMC Ravenna (ITA)
    Conte, Facundo - 25/08/1989 - San Giustino (ITA)
    Ocampo, Lucas - 20/03/1986 - La Unión de Formosa (ARG)
    Poglajen, Cristian - 14/07/1989 - Knack Randstad Roeselare (BEL)
    Giustiniano, Mariano - 04/04/1986 - Buenos Aires Unidos (ARG)

Líbero:
    González, Alexis - 21/07/1981 - Tours (FRA)

• Cool. Ivan is in.
    But, is he strong enough for the championship? Is he ready for a senior tournament?

• I think that he can play a bit against Uruguay and Paraguay for example (for sure not against Brazil lol), though I don't really know if he's gonna play much... well, we're not gonna see it so why am I talking about it :( lol
    anyway, I read in an interview that Ivan won't play in any team for the next 4months and train all alone with Weber, so I guess he sees a lot of potential in him :) (and I do too. lol)
    also, he played in Bolivar this year so De Cecco knows him pretty well :)

• I don't know about it, what happened?

Problem is that I don't know, too. I don't know anything about this, I just read somewhere, that some players will say "Goodbay" to the NT. That's why I'm waiting for the SACh, I want to know, that's true. Maybe some brazilian user will say something about this.

• I think that he can play a bit against Uruguay and Paraguay for example (for sure not against Brazil lol), though I don't really know if he's gonna play much... well, we're not gonna see it so why am I talking about it :( lol
    anyway, I read in an interview that Ivan won't play in any team for the next 4months and train all alone with Weber, so I guess he sees a lot of potential in him :) (and I do too. lol)
    also, he played in Bolivar this year so De Cecco knows him pretty well :)

Yes, I count on Ivan very much because Pereyra, with on offense, is not on the same level with Conte IMO, while I think Argentina will be a monster if they have outstanding opposite players.
    However, though Argentina clinched the crown in Youth Championship this year, I don't think it was Ivan's effort. Actually I watched the semifinal and the final and Ivan seems kind of immature. Of course he's young and he has potential. I just am not sure if he's ready for this tournament.
    Anyway, I still long for his performance. :super:

• I saw all the matches of Argentina in the Junior WC but I missed semifinals and finals, but it's true.. I noticed that he played better the first matches maybe because he felt less pressure!?! I don't really know but I guess he'll have to work a lot on his "mind" (I don't really know how to say it :lol: ), he doesn't have to think he's already good enough... sometimes I had this feeling,I don't know.

and yeah, I agree, Pereyra is not good enough if the team wants to win something! :) so that's why I hope that Ivan will improve a lot this year :lol:

• I was sure I would wrote smth here, Marta :lol:

BTW, about the Brazilians, there were few voices about the fact that Marlon wasn't so glad to be the second setter, that Giba was agree, and that he (Giba) wasn't glad for not playing vs... Cuba, in I'm not wrong... in Danzica.

But seems it wasn't true... I don't know. Nobody external to the team does, probably xD

Marta, Argentinian TV won't show any match?

About Ivan, I don't think they have so many other choise about the opposite... Schops was the second opposite during the WL if I'm not wrong and it seems to me that he is an average player. So it's probably a good idea to train him starting from now.

BTW, I thought Pereyra was like 30 years old, while he is 23!! I love the fact that this team is so damn young, the oldest is the third MB and he is only 26!

And Martee, I agree, Brazil-Argentina will be the most interesting match, and it's in the right moment ;) Not a coincidence, of course ^^

• Problem is that I don't know, too. I don't know anything about this, I just read somewhere, that some players will say "Goodbay" to the NT. That's why I'm waiting for the SACh, I want to know, that's true. Maybe some brazilian user will say something about this.

All I know is what I've read at Bruno Voloch's blog, so you should take it with a grain of salt, cause we never know how he "discovers" things and he's known for stirring controversy just for the sake of it.

One thing that sounds funny is the fact that after coming to Brazil to train for a while, Raphael went back to Italy, cause Trentino asked, because of the World Championship of Clubs, and apparently the brazilian staff had no intention of taking him to the south american championship if he wasn't going to stick around for the PanAmerican Games, and that's when the conflict happens, regarding his participation the World Champ of Clubs. So, it remains unknown why Trentino and brazilian NT hadn't sorted out this before he even came for the trainings. He went back to Italy already. Those are the facts.

So, for the rumors... Voloch says that Bernardo would take Rapha as setter to the South American Champs because of the pressure he's under. I think it's pretty stablished that for a NT that can count on such great talent in this position, Bruno and Marlon are not playing good enough. But according to the blogger, Bernardo had no intention to take Rapha to the World Cup. It seems that since Trentino asked for Rapha to be dismissed, the staff didn't opose to that, and we'll continue with both Bruno and Marlon til the year ends. Voloch also said that maybe Bernardo will leave the NT after the Olympics, cause he alegedly feels unable to motivate the guys to work as hard as they did in the past, or something like that. Also, in a recent past, I don't think people ever thought he'd leave the team this early, but now, ever since that whole fiasco of last year's WCH, maybe the support he's got is not unanimous, as it seemed. I don't think there's any other source that either denies or confirms these rumors.

Also, maybe Giba won't play the tournament because he's injured. Gustavo probably will be back. I think I've read somewhere that Bernardo will make the roster public this saturday.

I don't know what in this is true and what's not. But as to my opinion, I think it's a pity that Rapha won't get to play for the NT, cause I think he could bring something else to the table. If it was up to me, he'd be in NT without a doubt, and Marlon and Bruno could fight for the second spot. Our setters could play a lot better. A chance to William wouldn't hurt, also. The opposite spot seems also a weak point. But I don't have high expectations that the group will suffer significative changes. That's the way they've done it all the way.

• I read that Raphael was supposed to play not the South American Championship, but - in october - the PanAmericanCup.

Because the PanAmerican Cup isn't an official FIVB tournament, the club can choose if let the player plays it or not.

Considering that Italian League is starting the next week end, and that in november Trento is going to plat the Club WCh, I perfectly understand why he had to come back to Trento.

BTW Raphael said in an interview that (obviously ;) ) he would love to partecipate to the Olympics.