Brazilian Superliga 2017-2018

• SESI SP-RJ SESC

https://youtu.be/P3dvvu8VXDY

SESI leads by one set.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Brendle's passing is becoming such a problem on Rio's side.

And Murilo is back. Finally as a libero. So awesome to see. :obey:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHT8G0oQ0nI

#bad refereeing ruined this match a bit..or quite a lot lol

Hawkeye is seriously needed in Brazil - the magnitude of the bad decisions seems higher given that the other top leagues do have the challenge system. It also seems to be there is a huge disproportionate number of red and yellow cards given in Brazilian superliga. The refs seem quite 'generous' in giving these at inappropriate times as well...

• I hope Otavio gets more chances in the selection. I think he is Brazil's best middle blocker right now. There's also Flavio. I'm just not sure. I think Otavio's more complete. I feel Brazil needs to polish the MB position. There's a big chance the titulars are going to decline from what I see. Eder is improving in Trentino but then he's old. He's not a holder in the NT but he has been saving Trento for quite a while which I like but age is something to consider. Lucas is great but something's off. I just don't feel the motivation anymore and Mauricio is okay just not essential. Isac is still confused.

By the way....I still can't believe Ivovic just made the worst serve of all time. Poor Wallace... Never saw that one coming. :rolll:

I also want a challenge system in superliga. This is not okay anymore. Male and female... the rate of wrong calls in the worst time to call them is becoming higher. :read:

No Way! I didn't think it would become that worse until the referee pulled out the red card against Taubate. :white:

#FreeBritney

Edited 3 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• I have blind hope the NT will see new faces next year, but unfortunately in reality it'll probably be the same team as always. There are quite a few guys I'd like to see be tried out, like Flávio (MB), Pedro (S), Leozinho (OH), João Rafael (OH), Alan (OPP) and Fábio (OH).

• I agree about João Rafael. I think he should be given a chance in the NT. I have a strong gut feeling that he'll blend in no time. His teammate in SESC-Rio who is the primary setter is quite impressive as well. In fact these two players are my favorite in that team!
    And I agree about having a challenge system in place too. There have been far too many ugly referee calls.

• Are any of the Quarter Final Cup games going to be broadcast on TV today? SporTV or Rede TV?

Didn't see anyone from the players mentioning a broadcast on TV from their social media profiles. I could be wrong.

#FreeBritney

• Just when I thought I cannot hate CBV any better. :whistle:

At least show the games on your facebook page. :wall:

#FreeBritney

• SESC-RJ defeated Sada Cruzeiro in the tiebreak

Some refereeing was questionable in certain parts of the game. Particularly the one during the last moments of the first set. I thought that ball landed on the floor on the side of the newcomers. That point could've changed the flow of the game but the referee did not see.

I have to say some points also were also warded against SESC but the most crucial decisions were against Sada.

About the match.

Alemao replaced Evandro. He did well but there were some footfault errors during his time to serve.

I think for Sada they need Rodriguinho. Filipe is clearly not the same player as before but Rodriguinho was not available in the roster for this match.

For the newcomers.

I feel Thiaguinho is reaching a limit beyond his physical ability.

With his stature... there are circumstances where he cannot fix the reception and just cannot give proper high balls out of system. The 4th set clearly showed that.

His wing attackers struggled with his setting. Sometimes too low, too fast and with a very difficult angle to hit freely.

In the fifth set... I would have preferred if Gavio started with Everaldo and Renan to preserve the block. He chose to use Thiaguinho and PV instead and made an inversion of the former when Thiaguinho was in front.They almost lost this game but Mauricio Borges and Everaldo's service and timely block kills from Rio J saved the match for him.

During the tie break btw. There was a moment at 13-13 when Uriarte got called for a wide ball after trying to saving it from a bad pass. That ball looked like it hit Japa's arm on its way out but Sada lost the point. :white:

#FreeBritney

Edited 4 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• The referees were simply horrible yesterday, but I'm still glad Sesc won!

As for Thiaguinho, he's playing a super dangerous game so far and there's a lot to be worked on, but I like it. I'll be pissed if he doesn't make the NT squad this year.

Meanwhile, in another match, Canoas beat Campinas for the second time this season, even with 37 pts from Vissotto :cheesy: I don't think anyone expected them to even reach the playoffs this year, let alone be close to reach 10 wins in the season, but that seems like a reality as Montes Claros, the only team that could threaten their spot, is absolute garbage this year.

• I enjoyed the SESC-Sada Cruzeiro match. I was rooting for SESC but I was ready to concede defeat to Sada as they are stronger. I generally don't like Mauricio Borges simply because he takes too much time to do everything (haha), but as always, he was impressive and excellent in the match (plus, he looked very fatherly to his baby son in the post-game interview; I'm a sucker for good fathers). There was this play that he was made to pull by Thiaguinho in the first or second set. Thiaguinho gave him a back set to zone 1, with Renan doing a double quick decoy close to the edge of zone 2. I got off my seat because it looked so awesome, but he made a double error. Would have been an epic play, but it turned out a fail. I wish they had repeated it.
    In the fifth set, Sada kept pounding at Japa from the service line. I found that odd because is a pretty stable receiver, and it wasn't like he was the setters' favorite attacker.
    I'm watching the Corinthians-Minas match. It's looking like Minas will rake this in three sets. Quite a bummer because I was excited for this match, thinking that these two teams were pretty even

• I'm watching the Corinthians-Minas match. It's looking like Minas will rake this in three sets. Quite a bummer because I was excited for this match, thinking that these two teams were pretty even

Minas is a lot more stable with 20 yo Honorato instead of Bisset alongside Bob as OHs imo and Corinthians played without their best player (Fábio), so it was relatively one-sided. It was an important match for Corinthians too given how they could've grabbed the fifth position in the standings with a win, but now...

• I agree, Saishuu! Congrats to Honorato. He deserves the MVP match award (he's being interviewed now). I hope he grows taller. I once saw Bisset come in as a sub opposite hitter for Roque. I thought that made a whole lot more sense given how well he attacked and scored there.

• I can't see Joao in the world championship this year if he gets injured oftenly. He needs to be really careful. He reminds me so much of the japanese opposite Shimizu. He risks it all to score and so his body is always on the line.

And again... Referee mistakes. I like SESC Rio but the number of calls favoring their team is a bit too high. It's not that significant in this match but they need to do something about it and generally for the league. Refs got to do a better job while there's still no video challenge.

About the game...Corinthians did a great job with all the injuries that happened to them. Fabio is missed in this match. Renan exploited the smaller block from his replacement. Mineiro also exploited Thiaguinho's block but not as effective with the substitutions of SESC.

#FreeBritney

• Does anyone have a good streaming link for the semifinal matches of Copa Brasil?

#FreeBritney

• Unfortunate absence of two titulars of SESC-RJ.

Joao and Tiago are not starters. Japa and the young Baretto are in. Renato lost his place after the poor performance in the previous game against Corinthians. It would be terrible if Japa or Borges have a bad game tonight. I don't think Levi's shoulder is in great condition. Their performance would be crucial. Sada looks ready to pounce every time Rio gives them the opportunity.

I think Renan is doing a great job. He got blocked but some of it were from very bad sets. It probably helps that Renan the Brazilian coach is watching the game. It's possible that this is a test for all the candidates of Wallace's reserve. I don't feel Evandro can hold on to his position any longer.

#FreeBritney

• Thiaguinho is a good setter but he can be so dumb. Giving some out of system balls to your worst attacker at the worst moment and then giving the ball to your best attacker of the night when Sada knows you are going to him after you mess up.

:white:

Still a great game. Just a bad timing for SESC-RJ. I think they could've done much better if Levi is okay. They had to use Elias as an attacker for Japa and that's not even ideal. I think he had some beach volleyball experience but indoor and beach can be quite different with the block set-up. He did a good job though. Just the attack could've been better maybe if he had a longer time to fit into the position properly.

#FreeBritney