Brazilian Superliga 2017-2018

• In a shocking turn of events that absolutely no one saw coming, Sada Cruzeiro won the Brazil Cup over SESI-SP (25/23, 20/25, 25/17, 29/31, 15/9).

It was a high level and very entertaining match though, apart from the tie-break. Once again, gotta say I'll be pissed if Alan (OPP) doesn't make the NT squad this year.

• Totally agree about Alan. Brazil really need another opposite anyway. Not sure about Evandro....

Loved to see William in this match - he made the match close! Sada have looked more vulnerable this year in a long time, I think the winner of the league is not a forgone conclusion for them.

• Totally agree about Alan. Brazil really need another opposite anyway. Not sure about Evandro....

Loved to see William in this match - he made the match close! Sada have looked more vulnerable this year in a long time, I think the winner of the league is not a forgone conclusion for them.

Yeah, it's been one of those seasons where the title doesn't seem to be 100% in Sada's hands. Sesc or SESI could win it as well. Taubaté imo is out of the race.

Also regarding the OPPs, I hope Evandro doesn't get called again. Love him, but it's time for someone young (that's not Renan) to take the bench in his place and Alan imo is the one.

• I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have another short opposite in the roster together with Wallace.Alan is not that short but you also need a great blocking opposite. The outside hitters in other NTs are getting much better. You don't want to have problem when Bruno and Wallace are not playing well in front and back. That's just my opinion though.

Another problem I see is the development of the setters. Brazil is lagging way behind the young setters who are taller than 1.90M. I don't feel confident with this at all when everyone from Bruno to William are getting older and Raphael got recently injured. That's pretty crazy for a nation that consistently produces great players every generation.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• I think Brazil will need to have 3 opposite players - one of them being Renan. He showed very good potential in their friendly series against the USA last year, although he then didnt play so well during the world league.. His attack is very far from whats needed, but he can be a blocking force .

Joao should get a chance as well.. the outside hitter position is a vulnerable - last year and in Rio it really helped that Lipe could come in and help. Mauricio stabilises reception but he can be shut down in attack a lot.

I expect the team is going to be the same until Leal joins them next year...really wish he was joining this year.

• Douglas should be out? lol sure...

Douglas was having an outstanding season in 2015-16 that's why he went to the Olympic. Last year and this year, I think he is still performing good although I don't really follow men's superliga anymore. How is he performing?

I think Brazil will need to have 3 opposite players - one of them being Renan. He showed very good potential in their friendly series against the USA last year, although he then didnt play so well during the world league.. His attack is very far from whats needed, but he can be a blocking force .

Joao should get a chance as well.. the outside hitter position is a vulnerable - last year and in Rio it really helped that Lipe could come in and help. Mauricio stabilises reception but he can be shut down in attack a lot.

I expect the team is going to be the same until Leal joins them next year...really wish he was joining this year.

Renan is a huge force if he is trained right. His height is a threat to OH.

And how about Murilo playing as libero? So far he is doing quite good. There might be chance he is joining the NT playing as libero. Poor Brendle.

• Douglas is not having a great season imo, not sure why. His reception got worse, which is probably due to Serginho's departure.
    I actually think SESI as a whole this year is kinda average, don't know if he has anything else to grow there, which is why I hope he leaves soon.

I want to like Renan, but he's so inconsistent. I have no trust in his game whatsoever. He can help with the block, sure, but when it comes to his attack...

• What about Pedro from Canoas to the NT? He seems young and he's quite tall. His serves are a bit meh, but I'm sure it isn't that difficult to improve.
    Alan's substitute, Franco, is also a good hitter. I think if he played in another team, he'd be a starter. I think Felipe Roque should also be elevated to the senior team too. He's a rare specimen.

• Pedro is great! I really like his game this year and he's probably one of the key reasons why Canoas has a big chance of making the playoffs this season. I'm not sure he'd ever make the NT squad, but he should be called instead of people like Murilo Radke who do nothing.

As for Roque, I agree, but I feel he's still too green. He's having a better season compared to the last one for sure (playing with Marlon instead of freaking Gelinski helps too), but it's probably too early. I wouldn't be surprised if he only made the adult squad after 2020.

• Another SESC RJ victory that came from a controversial decision from the ref.

I like Rio. I really do but it must be frustrating that some of their biggest wins are not clear wins.

By the way... the first ref may have messed up but he is hot af. I wanted to hate him for what happened but he is so good looking.lol :gone: The guy got those Hemsworth eyes. How can you hate him? :love:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• In that Campinas-Corinthians match I wasn't sure whether or not a fight was going to break up at the net. Most of the cross-net conversations ended in smiles and give-me-fives, but a few others ended in stern faces. Can anyone tell please tell me what was happening there?

Fabio was a lot more stable! I was very impressed. I was also a little impressed with Vissotto. He made some errors that looked more like from stubbornness (like he knew better but he still went ahead and made the wrong choice anyway). Also, watching how Serginho tries to get everyone to get their act together makes me wonder why liberos are not allowed to be team captains. LOL. Yes, he blows his lid to high heavens when he's frustrated with everyone, but I think he's the anchor of the team.

• In my opinion... SESC RJ should try Evaraldo as titular. I think we have come to the point that Thiaguinho's physical limits are hurting the team.

Joao also doesn't look great too. His lower body is almost completely covered with two knee pads and compression sleeves. :white:

Terrible draw for SESC RJ in the playoffs if they defeat Volei Renata(which beaten both Sada and SESC although the former use the bench to play instead of the titulars). They could beat Sada and Taubate with their block but they seemed to really lack that quality to beat a team with great defense and diversified offense such as SESI. It's just their not style of play.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• What about Pétrus? Is he good? Is he NT material. The guy has a quite big influence on the social media. Good player or good looking guy?

He is good...but just okay...not NT material and he is not that young anymore.
    Yes, he is very handsome :whistle:

• Giovane made a big mistake on putting Renan behind PV on the bench. Thiaguinho just cannot make everyone involved without a target man on the right side. I think they could've won if he made the adjustments. Renan sort of baits the attacker to his side which creates spaces for the middle blockers and a huge amount of time for the OHs that depends on fast balls like Joao and Borges to attack.

Alan did a great job but William is just so impressive creating holes on the block of Sesc and I feel Alan simply run with it.

William just had a harder time when Renan came back to play. The block is higher but he still creates one on one opportunities for his wing hitters which is amazing to see.

In my opinion... SESC needs to hire a foreign setter next season for a more stable blocking. If I have to recommend somebody... Zhukouski of Lube could be great... I just hope there's no problem with language but he may present the same style with Thiaguinho. He's too good to sit on the bench of Lube but Christenson is better in everything else besides the setting which makes it hard for him to take his place and the familiarity is also unquestionable advantage.

Zhukouski also was great in Berlin. I actually missed him in Berlin. They were so much better with him.

I really like Thiaguinho but physique-wise... is just too small. This could be a problem for him if he wants to be in the selection. I still prefer Raphael or even William and Ricardinho to be the reserve of Bruno although he has the skills to put on a show.

#FreeBritney

Edited 3 times, last by Rains ().

• I still have to watch Taubate and Sada Cruzeiro but it's nice to hear the underdogs won even without Lucarelli and an away win too.

#FreeBritney