2016 CEV DenizBank Champions League

• Forget about refereeing, tonight's topic is Dinamo Moscow. Perhaps their worst match of the season in the most important moment. They are out of the Champions League! Friedrichshafen's best match of the season, although it was too little, too late. They were surely helped by Dinamo players' inadequacy, I can't explain to myself the lack of readiness by everyone. The only logical scenario was they seriously underestimated the Germans. Which, in case true, is one of the biggest sports mistakes one can do. This group was expected to be the most balanced one and it will turn out to be so. Statistically speaking, we have there the weakest group winner, one of the best third-placed teams and by far the best fourth-placed team. I enjoyed watching some of the matches in this group as well.

After this defeat even Asse-Lennik moved a position higher than Dinamo and will 99% take part in the Playoffs 12 round instead. A consolation participation in the CEV Cup is what is left for the Russians. So far Dinamo are the disappointment of the Champions League.

• I have to admit, that, somehow, i forgott that not every second team advances. In deed, thats an epic fail.
    But thumbs up for Friedrichshafen. Return of Simon Tischer probably makes them play better a lot :super:

They are out of the Champions League!

• I was at hall and I saw it.And you are right too serve was in.

Whole problem was obviously about difference between score sheet and "real" rotation on field. But anyway, both teams got what they wanted from this match......

• Whole problem was obviously about difference between score sheet and "real" rotation on field. But anyway, both teams got what they wanted from this match......

I agree! Match had very high excitement and me too. :)

• If I think that Ivan said that Russian best teams are considerably better than italian best team... I know I should feel very sorry for him, especially thinking that Dinamo didn't play in Turkey, but still... :lol:
    And Friedrichshafen didn't even qualified for the CEV cup :lol:

• PLAYOFFS - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2015/2016
    PGE Skra Bełchatów - Ziraat Bankasi
    Lotos Trefl Gdańsk - Zenit Kazan
    Tours VB - Belogrie Belgorod
    Volley Asse-Lennik - Trentino Diatec
    Arkas Izmir - Cucine Lube Civitanova
    Halbank Ankara - DHL Modena

• To me, Belogorie and Trentino should be happy with the draw. Not because Tours and Asse-Lennik respectively are extremely easy opponents, but because they escaped some of the tournament's favourites en route to Krakow. I won't bet whether the Turkish teams are capable of pulling out some upset, I would guess Ziraatbank's chances are the greatest.

• Or Modena or Civitanova won't make it to the final 4 :( In case they win they first match, they'll have to face each others...

Pity, we could see Rzeszow + Italian championship :aww:

I wouldnt be so sure Belgorod is going to eliminate Tours... They are playing really bad, IMO lacking team spirit what is Tours's main weapon. And ofc Vital Heynen :obey: Trentino is going to destroy Lennik, I dont give slightest chances to Depestele & co. :whistle: Ziraat vs. SKRA is the most interesting clash while in Turkish-Italian clashes Italians will advance easily. Halkbank is nothing, Arkas even bigger nothing :D

• I wouldnt be so sure Belgorod is going to eliminate Tours... They are playing really bad, IMO lacking team spirit what is Tours's main weapon. And ofc Vital Heynen :obey: Trentino is going to destroy Lennik, I dont give slightest chances to Depestele & co. :whistle: Ziraat vs. SKRA is the most interesting clash while in Turkish-Italian clashes Italians will advance easily. Halkbank is nothing, Arkas even bigger nothing :D

Not at all, Tours, of course, will have their chances. Moreover, this is not the same Belogorie from two campaigns ago. But you have to agree with me - both teams' path to the semis is clear of better teams, although neither Belogorie, nor Trentino is a small club. That's why I would call it a lucky draw.

• My predictions;

PGE Skra Bełchatów - Ziraat Bankasi
    Lotos Trefl Gdańsk - Zenit Kazan
    Skra won't have difficulties against Ziraat. Lotos-Zenit will be one of the interesting match-ups of this round. Reception line of Leon and Anderson must be killed (In Anastasi we trust) Zenit has big setter problem. I don't now why but I'm hopeful.Yes Kazan is the biggest favourite but Lotos still has a chance.
    Favourite:Zenit Kazan, Dark horse: Lotos

Tours VB - Belogrie Belgorod
    Volley Asse-Lennik - Trentino Diatec

Lucky,Lucky Trentino. Nothing to add.
    If Muzerskiy stops being a liability, and starts to play his game, Belgorod will prevail. But chances are slim.
    Favourite: Trentino, Dark horse: Tours

Arkas Izmir - Cucine Lube Civitanova
    Halkbank Ankara - DHL Modena

:what: :what: This is definitely my favourite part of the draw. Three of my favourite teams and the team I dislike most.

Although Lube has big names, I don't think it is putting a dominant performance. This is a team very much depends on Juantorena. Unlike the general opinion, I think there is still hope for Arkas because of two factors. First Juantorena is in sharp decline. Without his monster performance, Lube is only above average team. Secondly, Glen Hoag is better than Blengini. For me biggest handicap for Lube is their coach. He reminds me of Turkish coach Reşat Yazıcıoğulları. Also two American setters facing each other will be interesting to watch.
    Halkbank -Modena; Halkbank will be in my prayers :lol: Go Travica and Bernardi, show your true values ! I will be in the stands in full scream mode :lol: Beware Modena!
    Favourite: Modena/Civitanova Dark Horse: Halkbank

• I don't understand why Lube – after spending all that money for the team – didn't invest in hosting the CL... The path to final 4 is far from being easy, and that is not a surprise. And playing the final 4 at home with the team more rested was very a nice option.

• I don't understand why Lube – after spending all that money for the team – didn't invest in hosting the CL... The path to final 4 is far from being easy, and that is not a surprise. And playing the final 4 at home with the team more rested was very a nice option.

It is because since Lube changed its place from Macerata to Civitanova, they haven't found enough support. Usually their hall is at least half empty . There was a speculation DHL would prepare a special fan organisation . They were afraid of the fact that Modena fans would steal the show and outnumbered them .

La decisione dei dirigenti ha motivazioni prevalentemente economiche, la Cev infatti chiede, per assegnare l'organizzazione della final four il pagamento di un "tassa" di circa 260.000 euro. E' vero che con quei soldi la Lube si sarebbe assicurata la partecipazione e avrebbe risparmiato 60.000 euro per le due trasferte nei playoff (senza contare il minor numero di partite da far fare ai giocatori), però è anche vero che anche 200.000 euro sono una cifra notevole, senza contare il fatto che c'è anche la Dhl Modena in odore di Final four, e organizzando la competizione a Pesaro la Lube avrebbe rischiato di spendere una somma enorme per poi dover fare un derby con Modena in semifinale in un palasport con più tifosi modenesi che civitanovesi.

http://sport.corriereadriatico…a_final_four-1497937.html

• I wouldnt be so sure Belgorod is going to eliminate Tours... They are playing really bad, IMO lacking team spirit what is Tours's main weapon. And ofc Vital Heynen :obey: Trentino is going to destroy Lennik, I dont give slightest chances to Depestele & co. :whistle: Ziraat vs. SKRA is the most interesting clash while in Turkish-Italian clashes Italians will advance easily. Halkbank is nothing, Arkas even bigger nothing :D

Belgorod is (predictably) improving on a daily basis. They are just being typical themselves in the mid season. This is what happens when you live next door to what is known as Ukraine. Bizarre selection activity (new setter, two new OHs, new libero, then new opp in the end), bizarre coach shuffling (Kolchin was kind of out, then kind of in on a short notice and in the end out again, Khamutskikh is a local boy but he is still raw), last but not the least was the condition of Shipulin (something that shook the whole Volleyball Federation.) Historically, they did struggle a lot vs Tours (lost twice I think during the group stage) back in 2011/12 but that year they ended up in the play-out of the home league, which is unlikely to happen this season. I would say, the coach, Roma Danilov and Dima Krasikov are to decide whether Belgorod watches F4 games in the pub with beer or actually on the pitch. This trio needs to be better, especially Khamutskikh. The straightforward question is what to do with French defense.

Zenit has got by far the best squad in the league. This was a fairly quiet season for them (a scandal with Apalikov's departure to Ugra is nothing compared to Anderson's saga and various health problems of 2014/15.) They didn't get worse for sure and... what if the rumours about Butko materialise? They can of course screw up with e.g. the condition/fitness or just have a bad day but overall one needs to come up with some smart tactics or a decent amount of adrenaline to beat them.

Regarding Dinamo Moscow. I agree they seem to author their own problems, although in reality this is not entirely correct. One could concentrate on the away game vs Friedrichshafen but the domestic pressure dictates its own agenda. That is, Dinamo are not Zenit or Belgorod to be able to send one squad to Germany and the other one to sort out the business with e.g. Kuzbass as their bench is way too short. There can be nothing worse than finishing the home champ in fifth position, which is not an entirely impossible scenario for Dinamo. I would say, they are giving away needlessly many sets this season and someone has made them pay for this.

• Catia Pedrini, president of Modena Volley, said to volleyball.it that her club won't be playing in Champions League anymore, till she's the president.
    Unless a sponsor covers the entire budjet for the competition, the club isn't intrested anymore on playing the cup, since it is just a waste of money. In her opinion Champions League is anachronistic.
    This season is their last chance to win the cup for Bruninho and company.