2016 CEV Cup

• 1/8-finals:

Tiikerit Kokkola (FIN) vs. Gazprom-Ugra Surgut (RUS)
    SCMU Craiova (ROM) vs. Olympiacos Piraeus (GRE)

VaLePa Sastamala (FIN) vs. Foinikas Syros (GRE)
    Lausanne UC (SUI) vs. Volei Municipal Zalau (ROM)

CAI Teruel (ESP) vs. Omonia Nicosia (CYP)
    Posojilnica Aich/Dob (AUT) vs. AS Cannes (FRA)

SWD powervolleys Düren (GER) vs. Jihostroj Ceske Budejovice (CZE)
    Mirad PU Presov (SVK) vs. Sir Safety Conad Perugia (ITA)

• Quarterfinals:

Gazprom-Ugra Surgut (RUS) vs. Olympiacos Piraeus (GRE)
    VaLePa Sastamala (FIN) vs. Volei Municipal Zalau (ROM)
    CAI Teruel (ESP) vs. AS Cannes (FRA)
    SWD powervolleys Düren (GER) vs. Sir Safety Conad Perugia (ITA)

• Dinamo Moscow, Berlin Recycling Volleys, Knack Roeselare, and Dragons Lugano are most probably the teams that will join at the Challenge Round.

• Challenge Round
    CAI TERUEL (ESP) vs Knack ROESELARE (BEL)
    VaLePa SASTAMALA (FIN) vs BERLIN Recycling Volleys (GER)
    Sir Safety-Sicoma PERUGIA (ITA) vs Dinamo MOSCOW (RUS)
    #Dragons LUGANO (SUI) vs Gazprom-Ugra SURGUT (RUS)

The semi-finals are scheduled for March 15 (home) and 19 (away) with the last stage of the competition following then on March 29 and April 2 with the final matches.

• Berlin lost 3:1 in Sastamala (Finland) :rolll:
    Something is seriously going in the wrong direction there at the moment.

Tomorrow Perugia vs. Dinamo :teach:

• Dragons Lugano gave up their home right, both matches against Gazprom-Ugra will be played in Surgut at the beginning of March. I don't know what the reason could be, the Russians have a great advantage this way.

• Dragons Lugano gave up their home right, both matches against Gazprom-Ugra will be played in Surgut at the beginning of March. I don't know what the reason could be, the Russians have a great advantage this way.

They couldnt play in Lugano so new venue should be Monza but after disastrous results they might gave up due financial reasons. Further, chances to beat Ugra is quite low so I believe Russians r covering costs for both matches and Swiss team accepted proposal

• They couldnt play in Lugano so new venue should be Monza but after disastrous results they might gave up due financial reasons. Further, chances to beat Ugra is quite low so I believe Russians r covering costs for both matches and Swiss team accepted proposal

I read about Monza, but from hosting the match in northern Italy to giving up that right and taking the whole tie to Russia there is a huge difference. I haven't read about any financial issues in the club, they recruited some decent players in the summer and they seem like a team that could afford it at the moment, I doubt this is the real reason. It would be way too unprofessional to say "Nah, we don't stand a chance, let's just forget about it". Actually, it should be punishable if, of course, proven right.

• I read about Monza, but from hosting the match in northern Italy to giving up that right and taking the whole tie to Russia there is a huge difference. I haven't read about any financial issues in the club, they recruited some decent players in the summer and they seem like a team that could afford it at the moment, I doubt this is the real reason. It would be way too unprofessional to say "Nah, we don't stand a chance, let's just forget about it". Actually, it should be punishable if, of course, proven right.

I guess it is the "prestige" of the CEV Cup that matters here. Another issue is that the return leg is in Surgut where it is quite difficult to play. Thirdly, Surgut was the only team that was able to beat Zenit this season - in Kazan, by the way.

• I guess it is the "prestige" of the CEV Cup that matters here. Another issue is that the return leg is in Surgut where it is quite difficult to play. Thirdly, Surgut was the only team that was able to beat Zenit this season - in Kazan, by the way.

So let's call it a day and stop the competition then. I mean these guys beat Zenit, they shouldn't be playing against losers like Dinamo Moscow, Knack Roeselare, Perugia, Lugano, etc. :gone: Come on, let's be reasonable. Shall we all just skip the quarterfinals and wait for a Russian tie in this case? If these guys were that good, they would be playing in the Champions League right now or next season, for that matter, which I don't consider very likely. Should we also abandon the Champions League playoffs because Zenit are too strong? They are also beatable, Cruzeiro proved it, as Kaziyski said. What if Cruzeiro gave up their right to host the Club WCH because the mighty Zenit were going to take place? So what? They came and they lost. I am not saying Lugano will beat Ugra or that it would surely happen in the first leg in Lugano/Monza, but they would have had better chances there. And in case, oh, mighty volleyball gods, it really happened, they would then travel to the scary Surgut region just to take a Golden Set, for instance.

Leaving the whole monetary/prestigious side of European Cups aside for a moment, clubs should say if they want to play in Europe or just in the Champions League. The CEV Cup is a very prestigious tournament as well, from a certain stage on.

• After failing to qualify for Playoff 12 2 players left Lugano - Hietanen and Pokeršnik. Lost several matches in Swiss league, lost in Cup QF's and this move looks like "saving money" situation. Maybe Ugra offered them to play both matches in Surgut, due heavy schedule in Superleague, and covering all costs

• After failing to qualify for Playoff 12 2 players left Lugano - Hietanen and Pokeršnik. Lost several matches in Swiss league, lost in Cup QF's and this move looks like "saving money" situation. Maybe Ugra offered them to play both matches in Surgut, due heavy schedule in Superleague, and covering all costs

This is something different now, it makes sense that way. Thanks for the information ;)