CEV Champions League 2017

• Highlights of the new format:

• 3 qualification rounds prior to the group stage.
    • A reduced number of teams in the group stage - 20.

It was about time that happened. Hopefully, the level of the group stage will now be slightly improved.

• Could anyone, please, explain to me the logic behind Lube's (and not Perugia's) 4th-round berth?

I expected more teams in the qualification rounds, to be honest, but 24 is not that bad either. I guess some national champions did their math and calculated that, albeit prestigious, it is not a profitable adventure. Dobrudzha's case is similar. There is a lot of hype around the Bulgarian champion right now and they decided to build on the progress from the recent years. The sports hall in Dobrich is small, which means that should they advance to the 3rd round, they will most probably play in Varna. Luckily, they will keep most of the current roster and the municipal council voted in favour of their CL participation, meaning they will provide the money for it, so I am glad things worked out for them.

As for the remaining quotas, champions of Spain, Ukraine, Slovakia, and Portugal (from the higher placed nations) won't take part. I don't know if the reason for the Spanish champion's refusal is financial. I find it sad because we know what happens with other Spanish sports team, e.g. football, basketball, handball, etc. Also, Romania won't take advantage of the second quota but quite logically so based on last season's happenings with Tomis.

• Could anyone, please, explain to me the logic behind Lube's (and not Perugia's) 4th-round berth?

In italy, first CL spot goes to the leader after main round, which was Lube.....

• I am again the only one to say something about the CL draw but it is kind of a tradition already so why not :D An interesting draw outcome and several questions from me.

First, what happened to the First Round? Super fuss about the new format and it turns out we will have rounds 2, 3, and 4, but actually no 1. What was the whole idea behind it? I checked the female draw, they have Round 1 but no Round 3 8| Second, I understand that organizing such a gala and a draw ceremony costs money and they would gladly do the job altogether at once, but the volleyball world is dynamic, unfortunately, and a lot of things could happen till December. Which reminds me that the competition starts quite late and the draw has been released in the first week of June already. And it brings me to my last concern, partially connected to the early announcement - there are teams in the tournament that are still financially insecure and yet they were even drawn in the 4th round. I am referring to Modena and possibly Craiova here, they got in the same group.

About the draw itself, it seems like we won't have a real group of death this time. Although Pool E with Halkbank, Roeselare, and eventually Belogorie and Perugia looks very promising. There are some clear favourites in the 3rd round and they won't have much trouble advancing to the 4th round. Based on their selection for the next season, Arago de Sete might have some problems against, presumably, ACH. Dukla Liberec's task against Stroitel Minsk or Tiikerit Kokkola will also be a heavy one.

• When it comes to men, a first round isn't needed this time. There are 16 teams in a second stage, 8 of them will join the teams directly seeded in a third round which once more gives a number of 16. Again, a half of them will proceed and therefore we will have 20 teams in the last stage. If there were more squads registered, then the first round would be played.

As it was already stated, there is a third round in a women's competition, but its participants aren't known yet. They will be after a second round finishes. The number of 16 from the second stage needs to be reduced to 4, so in the third round will play winners of the second stage.

• You are wrong Honey, They have round 3 http://www.cev.lu/News.aspx?NewsID=23316&ID=5

When it comes to men, a first round isn't needed this time. There are 16 teams in a second stage, 8 of them will join the teams directly seeded in a third round which once more gives a number of 16. Again, a half of them will proceed and therefore we will have 20 teams in the last stage. If there were more squads registered, then the first round would be played.

As it was already stated, there is a third round in a women's competition, but its participants aren't known yet. They will be after a second round finishes. The number of 16 from the second stage needs to be reduced to 4, so in the third round will play winners of the second stage.

Yes, you are both right. I don't follow female volleyball and I only took a quick look as a reference. Obviously I missed the logic without reading the whole article. However, my concern was about the numbering. I know, a small issue but nevertheless. It doesn't make sense to have a preliminary round, no need of discussion here, but then you don't start with 2 either :)

• How is it possible that Urnaut got Young Player of the Year Award?

He is 28 years old..

By the way.. that are His natural hairs or what?

• The tournament has started, the qualifiers at least. PAOK struggled in Croatia but won in the end, whereas the surprise so far, in my opinion, comes from Denmark. A very convincing victory for Gentofte which they achieved against one of the CL regular participants. Which only proves it was about time we had these qualification rounds. I doubt there have ever been so many foreigners in Budva. They recruited players from Russia, Colombia (two), Poland, and Slovakia, and so far in vain. They were hilarious last year, I don't know about their financial status right now and I can't say much about the new players. However, the result must be disappointing for them, no matter what.

Dobrudzha's European debut didn't go well. Three very close sets sent them home empty-handed. The Bulgarians had almost won set 3, leading 22-17, when they couldn't handle the setter Matt West's serves. He and Kooistra are what makes Lycurgus a more experienced team. The players who left Dobrudzha during the summer weakened the team, we discussed the issue in the Bulgarian league thread. The project has been restarted and should probably deliver some results in a few years. They should have some home support in Varna next week, though (the sports hall in Dobrich isn't big enough), and I expect a longer match. The Bulgarians need to be more consistent at the end of the sets, however, if they want to reach a Golden set.

Second-leg matches that are expected to be entertaining:

Budva vs. Gentofte
    Dobrudzha vs. Groningen
    Crvena Zvezda vs. Selver
    Tiikerit vs. Stroitel Minsk

• Regarding Budvanska, i know that they've huge financial problems and they're having a lot of difficult to pay licences for foreign players. I watched yesterday game and also come parts of their preseason and i can surely say that they re really poor. I'm not surprised for what Danish did in front of their public; i think budvanska will have the same problems also at home

• Regarding Budvanska, i know that they've huge financial problems and they're having a lot of difficult to pay licences for foreign players. I watched yesterday game and also come parts of their preseason and i can surely say that they re really poor. I'm not surprised for what Danish did in front of their public; i think budvanska will have the same problems also at home

Why did they hire foreigners if they can't afford it? :huh:

• http://www.cev.lu/News.aspx?Ne…0&Sd=1/1/1900&Ed=1/1/1900

My team PAOK in Croatia played without our main OPP(Gomez)without Dante Amaral without main MB(Andreadis) and in that game another MB(Pantakidis)injured
    In Thessaloniki we played without both setters Vlado Petkovic (on the bench with gastroenteritis) and Athanasios Terzis (back injury)whose gap was filled by libero!(Dimitrios Konstantinidis) plus all the above that didnt played in first game
    The team made a miracle for me and now we are playing with PGE Skra...We are outsiders but :box:

• SKRA is very shaky, if PAOK play with max potential They should eliminate SKRA.

But if SKRA lose qualification I will have the same eyes as today when I saw info that Trump is new USA President :D

How do You feel USA with that?

• The balanced battle between the Bulgarian and the Dutch champion finished in favour of the latter. From a statistical point of view, Groningen won 5 out of 7 tight sets in both legs. Hence, it is fair to say that they deserved the next round ticket and an encounter versus Noliko more. From a technical perspective, the teams were almost equal and the matches were entertaining to watch. It wouldn't be an overstatement to say that both had the potential (and the chances) to advance further.

Regarding Groningen, Matt West, the setter, is probably their key player and the one that attracted my attention the most. Although I consider a move from Dueren in the German Bundesliga to the Dutch champion a step back in terms of professional development, West is a decent setter, fit for most European teams and leagues. Wytze Kooistra is a shadow of the player (opposite) he used to be. Overall, Groningen stands some chances against Noliko at home but I doubt they can surprise the Belgians.

Miroslav Zhivkov, Dobrudzha's head coach, is known for his talent to develop young players and later to fail to win with them. This was very true before he won the Bulgarian championship with Dobrudzha last season. A fair reward for his work over the years, to be honest. His teams play good volleyball, though, so he is not that bad a coach. Dobrudzha started each of the three decisive sets (sets number 2, 3, and 4) badly and had to trail by a few points throughout their entire duration. They only managed to win number 3. The players were not focused in those cases and partially it was his fault. His greatest fault, however, was the unreasonable subs of setters. Enkov, the team's captain, was leading the match well and he was taken out in important moments (for several points, not just for block). The young Denimir Dimitrov is way too green and made some terrible mistakes. Mistakes that could've easily helped them win set 2, for instance, in case prevented. I even thought that Zhivkov cares more about giving court time to as many youngsters as possible than actually doing his best to win. Dobrudzha missed a golden opportunity to make it to the next round, they played way better in Varna yesterday. They were impatient at times, made some stupid errors at the end of the sets, whereas Groningen just patiently waited. This, and Zhivkov's wrong decisions, was the reason for Dobrudzha's elimination. And as it very often happens, the team with even a bit more experience prevails over the talented but green youngsters (among professional teams).

Dobrudzha will now advance to the CEV Cup, but Hurikaami from Finland are maybe a better team than Lycurgus Groningen, so I don't see them playing in Europe that long.