CEV Champions League 2017

• I think Velizar needs to go.

Anyone from Zaytsev,Atanasijevic,Russell and even recently, Berger can play opposite. Perugia can have an italian OH/Opp next with Della Lunga instead.

Velizar is too young, inexperienced and slow in offense and defense for this level.

Ok, this is wrong on so many levels and it is becoming a tendency for the user to keep on repeating the same thing over and over that I have to deal with it one more time, I hope for the last, though. The only correct thing he/she mentioned is that Velizar is inexperienced. We can live with that. The slow defence will be dealt with later in my post.

Now, let me start. First, your statement that he should go. Why? How does a guy, albeit a foreigner, who doesn't play at all disturbs a team that rarely makes subs? It was his first match this season last night, from September till February all he ever did was train with the rest, warm up with them and stay aside when the team plays. Even if Perugia signs with Vettori, Sabbi, or whoever they might choose, if we believe your words, Perugia's opposites are Atanasijevic and Zaytsev and it will not change this season. Period.

Now, imagine you are a Perugia fan and you are probably looking for a scapegoat in case you are unhappy with the team's performances lately. Then, logically, you should blame the regular starters, the coach, or overall those with bigger salaries who don't come up to expectations. Chernokozhev doesn't get big money for sure because his status is such of a learning kid who doesn't play. Besides, he is young indeed but not that young. I have talked many times whether he should have chosen Perugia, you know my opinion, but facts are facts. Perugia seems like a decently rich club, they will organize the CL Final Four, so money doesn't look like an issue to make it a problem for Podrascanin, Zaystev, Atanasijevic, De Cecco, and Rusell altogether, let alone for the kid on the bench.

However, you may be happy with Perugia's season so far but you are angry because they lost in Roeselare. Well, Chernokozhev isn't the one to blame either. Perugia started in a disastrous way, Mitic's setting was bad almost the entire evening, the reception and overall defence often weren't quite what you would expect from a team like Perugia. Let's ignore the fact they decided to rest players. Bernardi entered a line-up that had never played together. You may also want to criticize him because Perugia missed a 9-6 lead in the tie-break (the Bulgarian wasn't even on the court at the time). Plus, the fact that they didn't just lose to any team, e.g. Dukla Liberec (no offence), but to a very motivated, fast-playing, and overall tough-to-face side of Roeselare.

Let's get even deeper if you are still uncertain. To say that Chernokozhev is slow in attack is 1) wrong, and 2) irrelevant had it been true, because we are dealing with styles here and results are what makes an opposite efficient, not technique. Velizar enjoyed a great serve evening (21 serves, 2 errors, 4 aces), scored two blocks and helped the block line with his 212 cm (or 210 cm if you wish, data vary) a lot. Well, I wouldn't expect from my 212cm-tall opposite to cover super much in defence. True, he can improve and it is a weak spot but positioning in defence is something he can work on in the years to come. It created a few problems only in the opening moments of the match last night when the whole Perugia side was messy. It surely didn't cause big issues. An element he can work on is also attack efficiency throughout the entire match, for sometimes he tends to lower his efficiency (officially he finished with 36% in attack). But he made very few mistakes, didn't take too many risks in tougher situations which helped Perugia in the rallies (let's hope with time he will get confidence to finish more rallies the way he knows), and had to deal on a few occasions with Mitic's bad sets and/or Roeselare's well-organized block. Yet, as I said, he got blocked twice and made 2 mistakes out of 36 sets he got. Even Russell who was rotated as an opposite in the tie-break made 2-3 mistakes from zone 1, almost the same number Chernokozhev acquired for 4 sets. So no, Velizar was no liability for his team in his only game so far this campaign and did actually a very decent job.

This post comes from someone who has criticized him when necessary but also from someone who knows his game well.

• CL tickets info.

The sell will be open on march the 6th, h 12.00

The prize are really high for italian standard: for both days, first ring 105, second ring 65, third ring 45. No news about single tickets so far.
    If a second Italian team won't qualify, they'll never have a sold out imho. Even with 2 italian teams will be hard...

To make a comparison, 3-day WL in parterre were at 110 this summer. 3 day of NT, in the parterre, same price.

http://www.sirsafetyperugia.it…e-29-30-aprile-2017-roma/

• Thanks a lot for the update! Is the website available in English? Or are tickets going to be sold somewhere internationally?

• There is an english version of Perguia website but this article isn't available yet.

The ticket can be bought online here: bookingshow.it

In this page you can find all Perugia events in CL: at the moment the only tickets available are for the match vs Ankara, but in future you should find here the CL Final 4 event ;)

• I don't see any problem with your statement if we're talking long term but i'm talking now and even though I find Vekizar as having a massive potential...Perugia badly needs a more proactive bench which could handle every situation and I can't see Vekizar doing that for Perugia. The clock is ticking anyway so if Perugia doesn't do it then the chances for them getting their first major trophy is not looking good.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Tomorrow are the last matches of this year's CL regular phase and it is the time for some Math. The only time for some real calculations, to be more precise, as then the elimination round commences. Let's see what we know.

3 teams will join the winners and runner-up of each pool. Perugia might win their group, but who knows if they will play to do so as the Italian league play-offs are approaching. Mathematically, they can still win it with a home defeat. Regardless of the outcome, one or two of the runner-ups will have to be seeded/drawn alongside the winners to determine the 6 Round 12 pairings. I don't know what the rules say in that case, if they say anything at all, and whether these teams will be selected based on this year's performance, on their respective country of origin, or just drawn at random. Regarding the 3 "lucky losers", Resovia needs to be determined at home against Dukla, who just failed to win the domestic Cup and didn't even make it to the final, and would take one of those spots. Belogorie faces a must-win game at home vs. Roeselare and I am inclined to believe that they will win it. Any outcome will qualify Roeselare. Thus, Skra, Resovia, and Belogorie all have their destinies in their hands. Friedrichshafen is the team that needs 3 points at home vs. Paris Volley and will have to wait for the outcome in Belchatow. Istanbul BB is almost without chances even if they win at home against ZAKSA, Craiova might be in trouble unless they take 2 sets in Belchatow. Although Craiova and Skra can play a perfectly comfortable 3-2 for the home side and they will both advance.

EDIT: Belgorie has qualified to the next round already, no must-win situation for them. Even their current amount of 8 points will do and give them one of the 3 coveted third places, although they would have never finished that low in a CL group before (if I am not mistaken). Yet, I think they will win at home.

• but who knows if they will play to do so as the Italian league play-offs are approaching

Bernardi said so, but I don't know if this mean he will necessarily play with his 'titular' team; for example, Buti-Birarelli/Podke and Berger+Russell could be valid options for this goal too, but I don't think he will play with Mitic and Cernokozhev (misspelled for sure xD) unless things get really smooth. Obviously I may be wrong.

I'm also interested in Lube, that wants to get the first place in its pool. I think we can agree that – if they play as they know – they can get it.

• I'm also interested in Lube, that wants to get the first place in its pool. I think we can agree that – if they play as they know – they can get it.

I hope Berlin can leave the court with head up high, regardless of the result. They will miss Steven Marshall and Sebastian Kühner due to injuries, which reduces their options significantly.So i don't think they can surprise Lube again, like they did in Berlin.....

• I wonder which team will get the unlucky top seed?

Modena last season was real unfortunate meeting a strong second seeded team Halkbank in the playoffs. It would be real bad for number 1 teams to meet the teams from the group of death even though they are just second place. Belegorie,Berlin or Lube or even Asseco are not good in my book. Lol

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• According to the wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…9317_CEV_Champions_League) Roeselare and Belgorod seem to be qualified to the playoffs. If Perugia get 3 point, which I highly expect, then only 1 lucky loser will be qualified. Is this correct?

No, the number of third-placed teams to advance to the next round is 3. 13 teams will make it to the next round(s) in total, Perugia is the F4 host, hence leaving the remaining 12 to battle till the weekend in Rome. Belogorie/Roeselare is certain of advancing among the best third-placed. If Resovia wins, they will take the second spot. The last one should be taken by either Friedrichshafen or (eventually) Craiova, unless Skra decides to commit suicide.

• Belogorie faces a must-win game at home vs. Roeselare and I am inclined to believe that they will win it. Any outcome will qualify Roeselare. <... >

EDIT: Belgorie has qualified to the next round already, no must-win situation for them. Even their current amount of 8 points will do and give them one of the 3 coveted third places, although they would have never finished that low in a CL group before (if I am not mistaken). Yet, I think they will win at home.

The funny thing is that - believe it or not - Belgorod has a negative record vs Roeselare. It is 1:4 so far, and that only win came very much thanks to Knack's hospitality. However I think Belogorod has no chance in F12 unless they beat Roeselare at home so the motivation should be there.

• The funny thing is that - believe it or not - Belgorod has a negative record vs Roeselare. It is 1:4 so far, and that only win came very much thanks to Knack's hospitality. However I think Belogorod has no chance in F12 unless they beat Roeselare at home so the motivation should be there.

Yes, but if you remember, back then they lost to completely different Roeselare squads. And the last time they met before the encounter in Belgium this winter was 10 years ago. The recent Roeselare is still very fast and technical (Belogorie has suffered over the years against such opponents, e.g. Tours) but they lack the killer instinct and most importantly the quality of the old team. Regarding their chances in the further rounds, I agree, they would need a massive amount of luck either with the opponents, with their own performance/eventual peak or with the draw, yet Belogorie still has value and should not be underestimated.

• Yes, but if you remember, back then they lost to completely different Roeselare squads. And the last time they met before the encounter in Belgium this winter was 10 years ago. The recent Roeselare is still very fast and technical (Belogorie has suffered over the years against such opponents, e.g. Tours) but they lack the killer instinct and most importantly the quality of the old team. Regarding their chances in the further rounds, I agree, they would need a massive amount of luck either with the opponents, with their own performance/eventual peak or with the draw, yet Belogorie still has value and should not be underestimated.

Arguably, Roeselare had a better setter those days, and you're correct, Belgorod would prefer to face a more "straightforward" opponent. They are definitely in a better shape than they were last year and on a good day can grab a set or two against any opponent. However, despite having a better (=less psychotic and capable of talking with his mouth) coach, Belgorod failed to involve the two younger OHs in any serious routine, which means that, in a serious game, they end up with 41 y.o. Tetyukhin and Khtei who is barely walking on the pitch.

• Resovia needs to be determined at home against Dukla, who just failed to win the domestic Cup and didn't even make it to the final, and would take one of those spots.

:whistle:
    They just got demolished by Liberec in first set. I really like this team. Witty players, good setter, well organised. But Resovia is playing awful too. So slow and unprecise in transition play..... :white:

• If Resovia keeps playing at this level they might fail to qualify for the second round in all competitions (already missed Polish Cup semis, are two sets away from missing F12 in CL and there is still a good chance they might not make it to the PlusLiga semis). Wonder if this would finally get Kowal fired...

• I couldn't recognize Halkbank against Perugia, at the first set. Halkbank seems to be highly concentrated, less mistakes, good strikes. They have nothing to lose.

I can't tell they normally play like this in Turkish league. Playing against one of the biggest teams in Europe made them motivated.

• 'Nicely done' to Bira, who insisted to stop the game for a bit because a fan felt sick and needed to be helped by the medical team.
    Well, actually I'm surprised he even did need to insist, but still...

Ps Perugia winning 2-1, first of the pool for sure. Edit: I read that because of the result of the other match of the pool Perugia had already got the first place before his match even started. Perugia speaker probably didn't know that, since he announced the first position in the pool after the third set...