CEV Champions League 2017

• ACH Ljubljana was the biggest outsider on CL FF in last 10 years IMO :whistle:

What about the 2007 final Tours - Friedrichshafen? Who would have said at the beginning?

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• What about the 2007 final Tours - Friedrichshafen? Who would have said at the beginning?

Absolutely, Friedrichshafen is one of the only two teams outside of Russia and Italy to win the league since Paris Volley's title in 2001. The other team is Tours :) It was a surprising final, no question about that, but it opposed two teams with traditions in the Champions League. Whereas the case with ACH Volley is different and the Slovenians surely were the biggest underdogs to reach the F4. To me, comparable only to Arkas' appearance two years later when they became the first and only Turkish team to reach a F4 through the elimination rounds, although their squad was theoretically stronger than ACH's. Glenn Hoag was the head coach in both cases, though. Also, the last F4 spot in 2010 was decided in a match between ACH and Tirol, having previously beaten Lube and Friedrichshafen respectively. So yes, it must be the greatest underdog's achievement in the modern era and it would have been the same had Tirol reached the finals in Poland.

Berlin has been a factor in the Champions League since their project started. With ups and downs, of course, but with some great wins, too. The fact that they reach the finals for the first time without being the organiser means that, regardless of the draw, they might be enjoying their most successful Champions League season. They have been in better form in previous years, have been more dominant in the domestic league, yet this result comes only now. They won bronze in Berlin in 2015, often demonstrate good and organised volleyball, what they lacked throughout their previous campaigns was maybe a bit of luck and consistency to play well in consecutive games. Hence, their qualification for Rome, although not expected by many, including myself, shouldn't be touted as a huge surprise. True, they were very lucky with the draw, but managed to beat Dinamo Moscow twice. Speaking of which, I couldn't watch the entire match and will do it before the F4 for sure. I didn't expect Dinamo to collapse at home once they took the lead in the third set, having trailed by 3 points in the end before winning it. I can't say much about the match, I was hoping to see a Russian semifinal in Rome as Dinamo could have and has challenged Zenit, but so has Berlin. Last but not least, Berlin showed great spirit in very though situations against Istanbul BB and Dinamo, plus Resovia and Lube previously, so we can't say their qualification is undeserved and that they don't belong among Europe's best.

On the other side, well, if Dinamo couldn't make it through this draw...

• Berlin has been a factor in the Champions League since their project started. With ups and downs, of course, but with some great wins, too. The fact that they reach the finals for the first time without being the organiser means that, regardless of the draw, they might be enjoying their most successful Champions League season. They have been in better form in previous years, have been more dominant in the domestic league, yet this result comes only now. They won bronze in Berlin in 2015, often demonstrate good and organised volleyball, what they lacked throughout their previous campaigns was maybe a bit of luck and consistency to play well in consecutive games. Hence, their qualification for Rome, although not expected by many, including myself, shouldn't be touted as a huge surprise. True, they were very lucky with the draw, but managed to beat Dinamo Moscow twice. Speaking of which, I couldn't watch the entire match and will do it before the F4 for sure. I didn't expect Dinamo to collapse at home once they took the lead in the third set, having trailed by 3 points in the end before winning it. I can't say much about the match, I was hoping to see a Russian semifinal in Rome as Dinamo could have and has challenged Zenit, but so has Berlin. Last but not least, Berlin showed great spirit in very though situations against Istanbul BB and Dinamo, plus Resovia and Lube previously, so we can't say their qualification is undeserved and that they don't belong among Europe's best.

Thats well said and there is not much more to add for my part...... :thumbup:

Regarding Dinamo, the way their game decreased with match progression (in both matches) imho raises some serious questions on players fitness.....

• Congrats Berlin!! I'm so happy for them, I was impressed by the team since their victory vs Lube in early January (if I'm not wrong).
    Now I will definitely cheer for them in their semi, even if I'm aware that a tough match is awaiting them...

• Belegorie did well but they let Zenit catch up by making mistakes at the early part of the set.

Not sure if Khtey should be here. They need someone younger, faster and stronger.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Yaroslav is so handsome. How old is he? :heart:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• In my opinion if there`s a team that can beat Kazan that team is Belgorie...

Perugia and Berlin won`t face each other in the semis. I`m surprised because just like in the women`n where they choose to have Conegliano face the winner of Moscow/Modena, they would do the same thing having Perugia facing the winner of Berlin/Moscow.

• Belegorie did well but they let Zenit catch up by making mistakes at the early part of the set.

Not sure if Khtey should be here. They need someone younger, faster and stronger.

Khtey is a son-in-law of the President (Shipulin). They'll be sticking him into the starting line-up independently of his condition. Note how different the situation could have been, had Belgorod played their optimal volleyball from the set 1 in Kazan and at home.

• If they have a player like a young Khtey or even Zaytsev... Maybe. I like Aaron Russell in Belegorie too. Or maybe Arnitz if he graduates from NCAA.

Belogorie just doesn't have a finisher in the outside hitter position or maybe opposite. They need that to maximize Muserkiy or even the wings.

#FreeBritney

• Belogorie changed front-court players to block Leon, and Tetyukhin at position 1 to set in case the ball is up. That's brilliant.

Tetyukhin is the best OH, isn't he?

• Khtey is a son-in-law of the President (Shipulin). They'll be sticking him into the starting line-up independently of his condition. Note how different the situation could have been, had Belgorod played their optimal volleyball from the set 1 in Kazan and at home.

That is really sad. Set 1 was too close to call and Yaroslav is proving to be a good player despite his young age.

#FreeBritney

• Belogorie changed front-court players to block Leon, and Tetyukhin at position 1 to set in case the ball is up. That's brilliant.

Tetyukhin is the best OH, isn't he?

They've been doing experiments that worked so far but they just couldn't push through when Muserskiy is backrow. I think it'd cool if they have an Outside Hitter who can play opposite as well. That would really help. Danilov is great so far but he's not exactly going over the top of the blockers in my opinion.

#FreeBritney

• In my opinion if there`s a team that can beat Kazan that team is Belgorie...

Perugia and Berlin won`t face each other in the semis. I`m surprised because just like in the women`n where they choose to have Conegliano face the winner of Moscow/Modena, they would do the same thing having Perugia facing the winner of Berlin/Moscow.

Perugia will face the winner of Civitanova-Modena series.

Conegliano didn't pick anyone. They just have to face the team that's the same nationality as they have in the semjs to prevent redundancy in the finals.

#FreeBritney

• Oh ok, this way is guarantee a Italian team in the final against Kazan.

Would be nice if Berlin can cause a upset, but i think that might be too much to hope for.

It's the same for every host country.

It's not like Zenit would want Lube or Perugia(pre-Russell injury) in the semi finals anyway. Berlin is probably what they're hoping for all along. It's a cleaner path to the finals in my opinion.

#FreeBritney

• Congrats Kazan!

choose to have Conegliano face the winner of Moscow/Modena, they would do the same thing having Perugia facing the winner of Berlin/Moscow.

I really can't see the analogy ?(
    In case, you could have suggested that both Conegliano and Perugia were schedule to be in the same 'branch' of the other Italian teams.

• What I meant is. They choose Conegliano to face the winner of Moscow/Modena, because they are the weaker match up, compared to Vakifibank/Volero and Vitra/Fenerbache. Of course Moscow is a strong team, but on the paper the Turkish Teams and Volero are stronger. Of course Conegliano has a better chance against Moscow than against Vakfibank or Vitra.

I would assume they would do the same thing with the men`s. Perugia would have a much better chance against the winner of Berlin/Moscow. Instead facing the winner of Modena/Lube.

But they want to make sure a Italian makes to the final at least. Because if Berlin upsets Perugia and Kazan beats Lube. Then no Italian team in the final.

In short, they gave Conegliano the easier path to the Final ( Vakfibank and Vitra are stronger than Moscow).
    They could have done the same thing here by letting Perugia face Berlin, but they did not , and that is fair. Kazan is the strongest and deserves to face the weakest Berlin.

and another thing. This thing of CEV not wanting 2 teams from the same country in the final, makes no sense. They are representing their Club and not their Country.
    We are not getting the best 2 teams in the Final. In this case CEV should just have 1 country only from each country. What is the point for Turkey to have 2 strongest teams if only one of them can be in the final???!!!!!!