CEV Champions League 2017

• It is absolutely true Resovia disappointed big time last night but we have to give credit to Lube. It is likely in volleyball for a player to have a day off but it is rare for a whole team to perform this badly. The Italians had done their job and were prepared extremely well for what Resovia could offer. Service efficiency is quite often a risk that worked perfectly for their party, I saw, however, great block positioning, too. It is not like Lube had Dukla Liberec on the other side of the net, there were world-class players receiving Junatorena's serves after all (let's neglect Winters this time, his days are over) and the Cuban had managed to destroy defensive lines before (remember that series of aces he made against Cuneo back in Trentino's glorious days). I would say Lube didn't show their absolute maximum but were still very, very solid and should be applauded for that, even if I understand the criticism towards Resovia. However, we can remember that Lube started also the last campaign in a great fashion, both in Italy and in the Champions League, including another visit in Poland when they dominated against Skra, but they collapsed in the decisive matches later in the season. So, no matter that I like their display right now, I would wait and see their form in March and April. Although their impressive performance this time happens in January and not in November but the big goal for Lube remains the same.

• If we omit Zenit....Until last night, I considered Resovia at the same level of 3 Italian teams, especially for the roster (very very long) it has. After last night, my certainties about Resovia begin to wobble. You can lose against Lube for heaven's sake, but in that way? At home moreover? And if we add the bad perfomances in Polish Cup.....I don't know. Maybe we overrated them too soon...

p.s. And yes! In my opinion Perrin is fat :D

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• If we omit Zenit....Until last night, I considered Resovia at the same level of 3 Italian teams, especially for the roster (very very long) it has

A wide roster such as Resovia`s surely delivers advantages but it bears some risks as well. The overall team cohesion might suffer such as the individual determination to overcome difficult situations within a game ("I am going to be subbed anyway"). Furthermore, not every player is good in "coming from bench".....

In any way, it requires a good team management and psychological skills of the coach, to keep everyone happy in such a situation. Such a breakdown as we saw yesterday indicates for me a lack of team climate.

But surely i wouldn't write Resovia off yet. Such a low point as yesterday can also be the turning point if you draw the right conclusions. Resovia`s match in Berlin surely is going to be interesting :box:

• Second set 40:38 for Kazan against Friedrichshafen :white:
    47 minutes.....

• Second set 40:38 for Kazan against Friedrichshafen :white:
    47 minutes.....

Friedrichshafen should've taken the set leading 19-23. Although they never had a real chance from 23-23 on. Every setball for F'hafen was easily blown away by Anderson or Mihaylov. Leon very weak in service pass and made some attacking errors during the second set.

ZAKSA now leading 2-0 against Moscow. Didn't expect such big scores for ZAKSA -17, -22.

• Friedrichshafen should've taken the set leading 19-23. Although they never had a real chance from 23-23 on...

Yes, unfortunately Malescha/Kocian saved their worst for these decisive moments. But still Heynen VfB was a pain in Kazan's ar*e for quite a while. Hope they can win their last two matches and advance :super:

• Very good game by Zaksa, other then the latter bits of set 3. This match was strangely similar to the Moscow game: with Zaksa again comfortably leading in set 3, losing it, and yet winning the the match for 3 points.

• Very good game by Zaksa, other then the latter bits of set 3. This match was strangely similar to the Moscow game: with Zaksa again comfortably leading in set 3, losing it, and yet winning the the match for 3 points.

I thought absolutely the same last night. I am also very, very impressed by ZAKSA. I have liked this team ever since I started watching volleyball, even when they used to be called Mostostal and had some great Champions League encounters. They have always had some interesting players and finally the machine is running smoothly. I have never seen them play so dominantly for so long, not even in the age of Mostostal. It got me thinking - is it De Giorgi's work entirely, partially, or not at all? No intention to diminish his work, I don't know him as a coach well enough to judge, but maybe he managed to recruit the best group of players he needs. What I mean is, first and most of all, to have Benjamin Toniutti in the roster. His form and style of volleyball has done miracles for France and now for ZAKSA. With two receivers of similar style next to him, one of them Tillie literally because they are teammates everywhere and the other one Deroo who plays fast volleyball, too, you have almost the perfect recipe. What I cannot talk about is how exactly Konarski got in that form right now. Because he may easily be the best Polish opposite at the moment, showing a game he has never displayed, not even in Delecta years ago. He has grown a lot and is (currently, who knows) not the player we (I) used to mock. So this is either entirely De Giorgi's work or the team's momentum is doing miracles with everyone in Kedzierzyn-Kozle.

I read recently Mark Lebedew's blog, last year he claimed that Toniutti is the setter he would point as N1 in the world. Not only in terms of setting, quality, and results, but also in terms of smaller details, like covering his own sets and attackers and overall readiness. Now, there is certainly a number of names to discuss in that list, but taking the last two years into account, we might actually say he is right. It just never occurred to me that the little Frenchman has sped up and gone past the competition. If we assume this is even partially true, because there could be setters on par with him, theoretically speaking, then it is no surprise why ZAKSA is playing like this and is so fun to watch. I am looking forward to watching them in the play-offs or even later, perhaps against Zenit :)

but maybe he managed to recruit the best group of players he needs.

I believe this is the case. And he deserves big credit for that too, as he was given almost a free reign in completing the squad (within budget, of course) before last season. In that sense, we can cross out 'not at all' from your list. But it is also the reason why I am unsure whether De Giorgi will be able to repeat this sucess with the Polish NT, which simply does not have a setter of Toniutti's quality. I guess we will know more next year.

And yes, full agreement on Konarski: I was hopeful of him during his Delecta years, but never imagined he will be playing as well as he is currently.

• I remember De Giorgi from Macerata time (2005-2010) but he improved as a tactician. He selected a group of players which are, in terms of technique, on really high level. But what's really impressive is their offensive play. We know Toniutti's sets are fast and unpredictable but in case where are 4 players preparing for attack it's really hard to set up block-defense system. This is most evident in a situation when Deroo is in zone 6, Tillie in 4, one of MB's in 3 and Konarski in zone 2 while Toniutti is coming from back row. Dynamo block is really high and compact but they were simply clueless in this situation. Also I would point out field defense with Zatorski and Tilllie as a leaders. I'm hoping they can maintain this level of form for a while coz FF wouldn't be far away...

On other side I'm really disappointed with Dynamo. I do not know which team has more options, even Zenit doesn't have such wide team, but something is obviously lacking. I expected a lot more from them in case when Kruglov is replacement for Bakun, Ilynikh and Biryukov is backup for Markin/Berezhko, while Antipkin is 2nd choice behind Grankin. They don't have any foreign player so maybe they are lacking small dose of foreign mentality within team.

Big match in Civitanova tonight, Resovia with another loss in almost out of Playoff 12 in case Berlin beat Liberec in 3 of 4 sets. Zaytsev is out for Perugia ( don't know why) but next match in Italian league is reason for that as Perugia is hosting Cucine in crucial clash for 1st place. Arkas also having comfortable situation as Paris lost all realistic chances to advance and should turn focus on Ligue A.

• Big match in Civitanova tonight, Resovia with another loss in almost out of Playoff 12 in case Berlin beat Liberec in 3 of 4 sets. Zaytsev is out for Perugia ( don't know why) but next match in Italian league is reason for that as Perugia is hosting Cucine in crucial clash for 1st place. Arkas also having comfortable situation as Paris lost all realistic chances to advance and should turn focus on Ligue A.

3 things to say here.

1. Resovia is still not out in case they lose and Berlin wins. Mathematically, they can still finish second with two perfect last matches, but let's not forget that some third-placed teams will also advance, hence Resovia has all remaining chances, regardless of the outcomes today. But true, Resovia is underperforming and that's the point of the discussion.
    2. Arkas' biggest problem in the past CL seasons has been Arkas themselves. Paris might enjoy a shaky performance by their hosts. And who knows if Paris won't face Zenit's bench at home.
    3. I have no information whether Zaytsev will play or not but if he didn't travel to Belgorod only because they play Lube on Sunday, well, then there you go - Perugia is already taking advantage (some of you said it won't happen) of that stupid, unnecessary and early announcement of the CL host. It would be a proof this whole revelation was a big mistake and could ruin a what-could-have-been-even-greater match. Because otherwise they would still fight for the first place which is now completely irrelevant.

• 1. Resovia is still not out in case they lose and Berlin wins. Mathematically, they can still finish second with two perfect last matches, but let's not forget that some third-placed teams will also advance, hence Resovia has all remaining chances, regardless of the outcomes today. But true, Resovia is underperforming and that's the point of the discussion.

With Perugia`s appointment as host, and assuming they still finish the group stage as, at least, second, the three best third ranked teams will advance to Playoff matches too.

So its true what Yavor says, that Resovia still has chances, even if they will lose straight to Lube. Therefore it is incredibly important for Berlin to take all three points against Liberec on thursday. With 10 points, they should be almost safe. After some disappointing results/performances in League and Cup, there is some unrest in the club and Serniotti had to face some criticism by the management. A convincing victory could calm things down a bit......

• I feel so sorry for SHAME. Never noticed, but just saw the point you are making every time.
    Perugia leading 21-24 in Belgorod. Two attacks in the block by Atanasijevic, a foul of the OH and an aceserve by Tetyukin gave Belogorie the set.
    Atanasijevic the choker...

• 3. I have no information whether Zaytsev will play or not but if he didn't travel to Belgorod only because they play Lube on Sunday, well, then there you go - Perugia is already taking advantage (some of you said it won't happen) of that stupid, unnecessary and early announcement of the CL host. It would be a proof this whole revelation was a big mistake and could ruin a what-could-have-been-even-greater match. Because otherwise they would still fight for the first place which is now completely irrelevant.

In 'Dal15al25' Pasini wrote that Zaytsev and Tosi (who didn't go either) are not in the best shape and stayed at home to be preserved for the match vs Lube.

I do believe they have little physical problems that wouldn't have improved with the travel, but at the same time I think that they also felt safe to let the two in Perugia because of the early announcement of the CL final4, yeah.

Still, having won the previous match vs Belgorod probably they would have felt that their chance to get to the play off were very good anyway.
    If I'm not wrong, ending (first or second in the pool doesn't make differences since the play off matches are randomly assigned (except for the same-country teams), right?
    Or the firsts will play vs the seconds so it's better to get the first place?

• I feel so sorry for SHAME. Never noticed, but just saw the point you are making every time.
    Perugia leading 21-24 in Belgorod. Two attacks in the block by Atanasijevic, a foul of the OH and an aceserve by Tetyukin gave Belogorie the set.
    Atanasijevic the choker...

Please, don't tell it: Atanasijevic is just amazing to someone here. :whistle:

I missed the first 4 sets. The tie break was really nice. Russell and Berger made a very good job.

• In 'Dal15al25' Pasini wrote that Zaytsev and Tosi (who didn't go either) are not in the best shape and stayed at home to be preserved for the match vs Lube.

I do believe they have little physical problems that wouldn't have improved with the travel, but at the same time I think that they also felt safe to let the two in Perugia because of the early announcement of the CL final4, yeah.

Still, having won the previous match vs Belgorod probably they would have felt that their chance to get to the play off were very good anyway.
    If I'm not wrong, ending (first or second in the pool doesn't make differences since the play off matches are randomly assigned (except for the same-country teams), right?
    Or the firsts will play vs the seconds so it's better to get the first place?

It usually does. Pool winners usually get second-placed teams as opponents for the Playoffs 12 round. Now, the format this year is different, we will have 5 group winners and one of them, if Perugia wins their respective pool but they are on a good way to do so, will not take part in the play-offs. Which means that there will be some non-group-winners pairings. It would've happened for at least one even with Perugia in the draw. Anyway, it worked well in Perugia's case, they might win the group and there will be no one to complain but you got the whole idea. They (everyone) would take advantage of such a decision, this is why I protested in the first place.

• 3 things to say here.

1. Resovia is still not out in case they lose and Berlin wins. Mathematically, they can still finish second with two perfect last matches, but let's not forget that some third-placed teams will also advance, hence Resovia has all remaining chances, regardless of the outcomes today. But true, Resovia is underperforming and that's the point of the discussion.
    2. Arkas' biggest problem in the past CL seasons has been Arkas themselves. Paris might enjoy a shaky performance by their hosts. And who knows if Paris won't face Zenit's bench at home.
    3. I have no information whether Zaytsev will play or not but if he didn't travel to Belgorod only because they play Lube on Sunday, well, then there you go - Perugia is already taking advantage (some of you said it won't happen) of that stupid, unnecessary and early announcement of the CL host. It would be a proof this whole revelation was a big mistake and could ruin a what-could-have-been-even-greater match. Because otherwise they would still fight for the first place which is now completely irrelevant.

1. I know Resovia isn't out but after another disaster against Lube and if Berlin wins 3:0 today (the most probably outcome), German team needs 1 point in next 2 matches to secure 2nd place. Somehow I doubt they will play just to take 1 point against Resovia in Max Schmeling Halle. What's even more disturbing for Resovia is Berlin style of play simply don't fit to them and they will be under huuuuge pressure. All of us knows how Polish teams react under pressure in European matches :whistle: Don't forget that Roeselare has 7pts already and will host unmotivated Perugia in the next round.

2. Arkas, but also Turkish teams in CL, are disappointing. Yday's struggle against Paris is pathetic as French coach rested OPP Paese due important championship match against Chaumont on Saturday. I'm sure Rougeyron would rest someone else only if he had even a mediocre replacement.

• I remember De Giorgi from Macerata time (2005-2010) but he improved as a tactician. He selected a group of players which are, in terms of technique, on really high level. But what's really impressive is their offensive play. We know Toniutti's sets are fast and unpredictable but in case where are 4 players preparing for attack it's really hard to set up block-defense system. This is most evident in a situation when Deroo is in zone 6, Tillie in 4, one of MB's in 3 and Konarski in zone 2 while Toniutti is coming from back row. Dynamo block is really high and compact but they were simply clueless in this situation. Also I would point out field defense with Zatorski and Tilllie as a leaders. I'm hoping they can maintain this level of form for a while coz FF wouldn't be far away...

I have to say I really like Zaksa. Since last year they've built a really solid and concrete team, with a good play and cohesion. This year they're continuing their work, with good results. Toniutti is really smart and precise, Tillie provides a good work in attack but also in reception and defense and Bieniek is a reliable attacker too. Anyway the player I prefer among them is Deroo: he has improved so muche in these two years, he's attacking with great confidence and variety, being often the main attacker of the team and he does his work also in the back row.

• Question. Is Schmitt so bad this season as I saw against Lube?

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter