CEV Champions League 2018

• I wish I could find some enjoyment from watching the male CL, but the disparity between Zenit Kazan and the other teams is simply way too big to make the games and the tournament as a whole entertaining to me. That's why I can't get excited to even post here that much. I still can't even believe Trentino managed to get close to beating them with a fairly weak team in 2015/2016.

• Home Factor/Time Zone/Previous dates of FIVB CWCh after NT season

I suggested that so don't say it was only home factor.

Anyway, I accepted that Perugia may not have a chance to take the upset. They've been tired and out since March.

Superlega is the most competitive league in Europe and even in the world. It's not going to be possible to stay in perfect condition after a long season.Ravenna,Trentino and Lube almost put an end to their scudetto dreams and even had a chance to risk them in an all or nothing matches at each series.

Zenit Kazan is extremely dominant in the Russian League. in the playoffs, no team made it difficult for them to win the title. It's next to impossibe for them to be tired out before the Final Four of CL and they are also the host.

I would love to enjoy a tighter match but Zenit Kazan played absolutely stellar. I don't even think that the loss of Leon for the next season would be as drastically bad for them.

While I do believe Perugia will be the most powerful team in Italy with Leon's arrival. I don't think they will be as dominant as Zenit Kazan is.
    I think the difference will be the local players of Russia. Superlega just doesn't have enough good italian players at every position which I think was the key for Zenit Kazan's superiority. They were also so dominant that it was possible to create a vacuum in other clubs by recruiting other strong players to their teams to sort of weaken the competition. I don't think Perugia is capable of doing that because of the foreigner/italian allowance.

Well next season, I think champions league would be a lot more balanced. Zenit Kazan+Ngapeth and Lube+Leal might surprise us. We will see. I really hope it do well for a lot of clubs as I do believe Leon's exit to Perugia will change the power map of Europe.

I wish I could find some enjoyment from watching the male CL, but the disparity between Zenit Kazan and the other teams is simply way too big to make the games and the tournament as a whole entertaining to me. That's why I can't get excited to even post here that much. I still can't even believe Trentino managed to get close to beating them with a fairly weak team in 2015/2016.

I still find it entertaining up until the final four. I do wish for a change of champions as it will make the tournament more dramatic.

I do agree with you that Zenit Kazan is dominant...but the competition as a whole is actually more competitive than the female side. The final four for the female side is more competitive. It's just the other way around for the men's side. Everything before the final four is very enjoyable. You may have missed out in some matches in my opinion.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• I still find it entertaining up until the final four. I do wish for a change of champions as it will make the tournament more dramatic.

I do agree with you that Zenit Kazan is dominant...but the competition as a whole is actually more competitive than the female side. The final four for the female side is more competitive. It's just the other way around for the men's side. Everything before the final four is very enjoyable. You may have missed out in some matches in my opinion.

I meant the F4, my bad. The competition in the earlier stages indeed does have some great games and I actually watched most of them (the ones I was interested too at least). But the thought of "Kazan is gonna win this entire thing anyway" is still always there in the back of my mind.

• I meant the F4, my bad. The competition in the earlier stages indeed does have some great games and I actually watched most of them (the ones I was interested too at least). But the thought of "Kazan is gonna win this entire thing anyway" is still always there in the back of my mind.

Yeah I agree. the thought of Kazan winning makes it very unexciting lol

I just hope the exit of Leon from Zenit Kazan brings a balance to the power map of Europe.

...but I am hoping Leal's arrival to Lube would make more earthquakes to the hierarchy rather than Leon to Perugia. :rolll:

Actually I am planning to switch sides next season. I really love Leal. He's so charming and sexy. Next to Sokolov, I am in heaven. Lube is a dream team. :heart:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• :offtopic:

I am not entering a pointless discussion with Rainspammer, I am just replying briefly to something quite troublesome for the sake of not leaving this like that. I will be brief in my off-topic endeavours, I promise.

To say that a team is better than another at some specific time and place is quite subjective and surely doesn't make that said team the best in the world for these very same reasons. Following the same logic you guys demonstrated, I can say that Cruzeiro and Paykan were misfortunate to have to play in December because, for instance, they celebrate the holy month of December in their religious countries, because they didn't like the Polish food in the hotel, because they had to travel much, and all other meaningless bla-bla or nonsense. Your logic feels like the same really. Just with the same logic one can say Zenit's one and only Club WCH success is a fluke, nothing more, and they can dominate in Europe only. I am not saying any of the above is true, I am just applying the same excuses which made the statement ridiculous in the first place.

As for the leagues logic, well, then the Bulgarian league must be the strongest in the world. Because the champion wasn't known until April or May, a lot of teams had chances, the eventual and reigning champions eventually lost to bottom teams and there was much drama and competition. I am again applying the same logic just to show you how ridiculous this sounds. Jokes aside, a competitive league is an interesting one, maybe even the most prestigious one, but not necessarily the best one.

End of :offtopic:

As for today's games, I hope some of our older friends will join the discussion here indeed, would love to, at least. I am not sure I will watch the bronze medal match that closely, but rather feel impatient to see whether Lube will find inner strength to win a whole set against Leonit Kazan.

• Toniutti is probably the world's most underrated setter.

#FreeBritney

• Do you think they will Torres the best OPP award?

I think it will go to Mikhaylov. Kazan's the host after all.

#FreeBritney

• De Cecco's been playing so bad.

I think we also need to use Berger for Zaytsev atleast for the serve.

#FreeBritney

• Finally a pipe set from De Cecco. :gone:

#FreeBritney

• I'm glad Perugia won. It wouldn't be that bad for them to lose the bronze medal after the triplete in Italy but a win is always the best way to end the season. :drink:

#FreeBritney

• I think they will give Mikhaylov best OH award (if not MVP) to make a room for best OPP.
    They must give an award to third and probably fourth place teams.
    Knowing CEV one award will go to Zaytsev, probably best OH

I have a feeling Szymura will win 2nd Best OH after Juantorena or Leon so he'll probably be the one getting an award from Zaksa.

I don't think Zaytsev will get an award, he messed his game up in the bronze medal match but your little Polyanna from Lube might get best libero again. :win:

#FreeBritney

• Lube is really stronger than Perugia.

... TODAY

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Lube is playing the best game in the season so far

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter