CEV Cup Men 2018

• Schedule: http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…ion.aspx?ID=1034&PID=1548

The competition will start this week.

For the upper half of the draw, Belgorod looks like the clear favourite, especially considering Resovia's latest performances. On first view, the lower half looks a bit more balanced with decent teams like Ziraat, Verona, Montpellier, United Volleys or even Neftochemik. Pretty tough first round battle between United Volleys and Montpellier and a nice compairison between french and german league :box:

• Schedule: http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…ion.aspx?ID=1034&PID=1548

The competition will start this week.

For the upper half of the draw, Belgorod looks like the clear favourite, especially considering Resovia's latest performances. On first view, the lower half looks a bit more balanced with decent teams like Ziraat, Verona, Montpellier, United Volleys or even Neftochemik. Pretty tough first round battle between United Volleys and Montpellier and a nice compairison between french and german league :box:

Nah, that's a long shot. I even consider Dukla to be the favourite in the tie. They have more experience in their roster and are doing much better in their domestic league.

I am also looking forward to the CEV Cup matches, there are some decent teams over there.

• Although the Czech Rep. failed to qualify a team for the Champions League group phase after Ceske Budejovice got eliminated by VaLePa, all Czech teams scored wins in the European competitions. Jihostroj Ceske Budejovice, Dukla Liberec, and Kladno won their first-leg matches in the CEV Cup, whereas Brno and CEZ Karlovarsko did the same in the Challenge Cup. This says a lot about the level of the Czech league and the domestic/foreign players they have.

• The insistence on playing the canadian over Manavi is sickening.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Djuric being not available is a pain for Verona and it bit them hard this time with Stern performing so poorly. Maar had to play opposite but it didn't work. Spirito mishandled so many balls to the middle blockers that also created so much confidence for Ziraat Bankasi.

That also put so much pressure to the OHs. I still believe Grbic messed it up not using Manavi as titular. Manavi is their most balanced OH and they also need Maar to play Jaeschke's role when he's not playing well.

Antonov had a killer performance. Some people may not like him but in my opinion he is better than Lanza just with the serve alone. Trentino shouldn't have let him go.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I think Antonov did the right thing going out of Trentino. He had not so many oportunities to play there and his numbers in Turkey are really good.

• Just a thought going back to comparing leagues. Although I really like the Italian league, it hasn't been the best one in Europe for sure in years, in my opinion. Let that sink in - Verona lost at home against Ziraatbank, Ravenna to Maliye Milli Piyango. Both Turkish clubs had just lost their quarterfinal play-offs in the domestic league, meaning that none of them will even appear in the semis in Turkey. Even if we shouldn't make corollaries based solely on two results and even if those two may not be the best available Italian participants for the Europian Cups (with Modena and Piacenza not participating), Ravenna and Verona are still play-offs contestants in Italy and their defeats depict how much the Turkish league has settled among the top leagues in Europe. Although, obviously, what male Turkish clubs do in the CL is a different story for now.

• I'm not sure of the violation but Verona's serve was almost a meter in.

#FreeBritney

• Grbic doing nothing to stop the bleeding. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Manavi finally is in and here I was thinking Verona had no coaches observing the game. :whistle:

#FreeBritney

• Ziraat Bankasi only needs another set to win the qualification to the final and Verona needs two(golden set included.)

#FreeBritney

• Spirito is still immature. I think the setter from Ziraat unquestionably destroyed him. His connection with Emre Savas is absolutely phenomenal which was their greatest strength in this match and what caused so much misreads on the part of Birarelli and Mengozzi's blocking. Grbic was also stubborn with Jaeschke. Manavi deserves to be in that situation to attack when Jaeschke got blocked twice but he let the errors pour for the american. :down: Still... Verona is still a brand new club in a technical sense so I hope they mend the mistakes in the future.

Congrats to Ziraat Bankasi for making the CEV cup final.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind the higher ranking league teams getting the first home round instead of the other way around?

#FreeBritney

• Unbelievable performance by the Belogorie Belgorod considering it is a farewell and tribute game for Sergey. It's worse than cow dung. I apologize for my choice of language but this is simply unacceptable. :gone:

#FreeBritney

• Turkey is the reason why there is a challenge system in volleyball...

I am also wondering about this. Why can't Belogorie challenge anything? Is the challenge system defective tonight?

It's already worse that Belogorie is not performing well and now they got this problem?

#FreeBritney

• ignorans calm your tits... :what: with hone matches refs will always be biased no matter what country, some more then others. Russia is imho not the least biased at home court either :whistle: with or w/o help of refs Belogorie did not deserve to win those first 2 sets, their game was tragic.

• ignorans calm your tits... :what: with hone matches refs will always be biased no matter what country, some more then others. Russia is imi not the least biased at home court either :whistle: with or w/o help of refs Belogorie did not deserve to win those first 2 sets, their game was tragic.

It's hard to play aggressively without a challenge system and the referee being against you.

Did that ever happened in Russia? I really don't know but with this kind of situation, Belogorie can't even rely on high risk plays. They have to play perfect but usually by trying to play perfectly creates more errors than points.

#FreeBritney

Edited 3 times, last by Rains ().