CEV Champions League 2019

• CEV have apparently planned new changes to the CL format as of 2018-2019. Source

No more Final 4, eventually neutral final match host, no more hosts (if part of the competition) qualifying directly to the final(s). Seeded teams, guarenteed spots for stronger federations, fewer teams gaining access through the preliminary qualifiers. According to CEV, "this ranking reflects the investments and performances of all teams representing the same country in Europe’s elite competition." This is the first time where I see privileges based on, I am quoting, investments. Because 18 teams are said to directly make it to the 4th round, aka. the group stage, leaving thus only two remaning spots available through qualifiers, I question directly CEV's logic here: "As for the previous rounds, the level of competition will be fairer, thus increasing the chances for teams from the lower-ranked National Federations to progress to the 4th Round." On the contrary, teams from not-"investing" countries and lower-positioned federations will have fewer chances to reach the group stage.

I liked the 2017-2018 format. The group stage of the tournament was mostly good, play-offs screened weaker teams but gave them European exposure and still allowed decent qualifiers to advance. Pity that this otherwise successful formula will now disappear after a life-span of 1 year.

• Yesterday was the first match. PAOK beat Kazincbarcika 3-2. Djuric in the first set had 2/14 at.. He finished the match with 26p. - 22/55 at..

• It is a choice made by their club president. They gather almost all NT players together as a project. Also this is our best generation (93-94) that was 6th in junior wch. Only the second mb is different from the starting 6 of that junior NT. I think they have a fair chance to win Turkish championship 💪

• Two matches will be played today, Frankfurt against Posojilnica and Teruel against Chaumont with the favourites on paper being, I presume at least, Frankfurt and Chaumont respectively. How good is this Frankfurt team? Their manhandling of Soligorsk strikes out as impressive purely by looking at the numbers at least.

• How good is this Frankfurt team? Their manhandling of Soligorsk strikes out as impressive purely by looking at the numbers at least.

In the last two years they had been, more or less unchallenged, the runner up behind Friedrichshafen and Berlin. So with all due respect, they should be expected to beat the belorussian and austrian champion. Zenger (L), Karlitzek (OH), Krick (MB), Kocian (S) are NT players, or at least spent time with the team during summer. Steuerwald (S, injured) and Schwarz (OH) and van Berkel (MB) are players who can add experience to the rather young team.

So how good are they? Hard to say for me. Setter and opposite are new to the team, so it may depend on how this axis does work. Personally, i have no clue about the new opposite Mrdak but his numbers so far look decent. But as i said, not reaching next round imho would be a massive disappointment.....

• Is it now official that there are no more technical time-outs at points 8 and 16? The Champions League match in Burgas tonight didn't have any and it is an official CEV tournament. Previously, this had only been the case in the Italian league. Does anyone know if this is an all-FIVB-and-CEV thing now?

• In May CEV decided to abolish the technical time outs, so the ech19 qualif. hadnt technical time outs like the champions league 2019.

• Pool A is easy for Kazan. Pool B is insane. Lube, Zaksa and Modena are in same group, which means one of them will die in the first phase of CEV. Pool C and D are ok. Pool E is still better than Pool B. Perugia and Dinamo fight for the 1st place.

• Stumbled on this:

"La grande pallavolo europea sbarca su DAZN. Per le prossime due stagioni, infatti, la piattaforma di streaming trasmetterà in esclusiva, in diretta e on demand, la CEV Volleyball Champions League maschile e femminile. ..... "

source

Does that mean Laola is out, or will this be limited to the italian market only? Haven't found any helpful infos on CEV, Laola or DAZN yet...

• Laola still shows the the past streams or did they taken it down?

Pool A is easy for Kazan. Pool B is insane. Lube, Zaksa and Modena are in same group, which means one of them will die in the first phase of CEV. Pool C and D are ok. Pool E is still better than Pool B. Perugia for the 1st place.

If Modena or Zaksa gets drawn for Lube in their champions league campaign first, Lube will have a killer fixture before World Club Championship.

Medei really have to pick his battles to lose. I think he is over using Juantorena and he needs to rest him.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Laola still shows the the past streams or did they taken it down

I think they matches from previous season are available worldwide but CEV CL 2019 (and other cups) are not available in Poland, Italy, USA and Canada.

• If Modena or Zaksa gets drawn for Lube in their champions league campaign first, Lube will have a killer fixture before World Club Championship.

Based on a few games Lube has played in this season, they have not found their rhythm yet. Bruno, Sokolov, Leal, Juan or Simon...They don't have a core play to rely on. It looks messy on court.

Not like Lube, Leon has become the go-to guy for Perugia. Just like what he did in Kazan.

• Based on a few games Lube has played in this season, they have not found their rhythm yet. Bruno, Sokolov, Leal, Juan or Simon...They don't have a core play to rely on. It looks messy on court.

Not like Lube, Leon has become the go-to guy for Perugia. Just like what he did in Kazan.

I don't think rhythm is the biggest problem of Lube but Juantorena's health. He needs to rest badly. Three of Lube's top attackers can score anytime but rest is important especially on players coming from injuries or old age and world tournaments which Leon did not participated in this year.

The win against Trentino gives them a position to rest him in matches before the FIVB Club World Championship except for matches vs Modena or Zaksa maybe. I think battles against mid tier teams in Superlega, Lube can afford to give Juantorena skipping the matches which is the best thing they can do for now.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• I don't think rhythm is the biggest problem of Lube but Juantorena's health. He needs to rest badly. Three of Lube's top attackers can score anytime but rest is important especially on players coming from injuries or old age and world tournaments which Leon did not participated in this year.

The win against Trentino gives them a position to rest him in matches before the FIVB Club World Championship except for matches vs Modena or Zaksa maybe. I think battles against mid tier teams in Superlega, Lube can afford to give Juantorena skipping the matches which is the best thing they can do for now.

Rhythm is the key of the chemistry. Juan and Sokolov have been with Micah for a few seasons. Micah and Bruno have totally different style on setting. It takes time for Lube's attackers to get used to Bruno's setting. Leal and Simon are also new in this team.

I agree Juan needs to skip some unimportant games. But I don't think Medei has the guts to rest Juan as we want. Their attacking line still looks shaky.

• Rhythm is the key of the chemistry. Juan and Sokolov have been with Micah for a few seasons. Micah and Bruno have totally different style on setting. It takes time for Lube's attackers to get used to Bruno's setting. Leal and Simon are also new in this team.

I agree Juan needs to skip some unimportant games. But I don't think Medei has the guts to rest Juan as we want. Their attacking line still looks shaky.

Chemistry is nothing if it means not having any healthy players.

Lube beat Perugia without Juantorena or Sokolov as titulars. I think it's entirely possible they can beat any team without Juantorena atleast.

#FreeBritney

• Chemistry is nothing if it means not having any healthy players.

Lube beat Perugia without Juantorena or Sokolov as titulars. I think it's entirely possible they can beat any team without Juantorena atleast.

I agree with you.

The WCH cost too much of Juan's energy. He needs to rest not only physically but also metally to adjust his status. He can continue train with the team, but better skips a few matches. Or maybe he needs a little bit more time for his familiy, since his wife just gave birth about two months ago. Anyway, Juan is the key player. They need him for more important matches.